It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 11:02

New Topic Add Reply
Post 14 Nov 2017, 22:37 • #1 
Guide
This might be a retread question, apologies if I missed it.

Anyway, just picked up my Prime 8 wt, and wondering if anyone has a *really* good idea for a reel that won't break the bank. I'm thinking I will use it to harass redfish and snook, as well as big carp, otherwise I'd just throw a Battenkill III or IV on there. Might anyway.

Okay ... go!

Post 15 Nov 2017, 14:00 • #2 
Sport
Sorry, I can't help you answer this, but I am in the same position currently. Bought the 8 wt on sale last week. This weekend I intend to try one of the $10 CGR II reels on it and a 1494 with lines from 5wt-8wt. All the reviews I have read said this rod throws more like a 5 or 6 wt and that's what I bought it for.

I'll try and report back if either make the rod balance nicely, but it is the firearm opener in IN so I may be trapped in a deer stand all weekend.

Post 15 Nov 2017, 14:33 • #3 
Sport
I've used both the Ross Eddy and Rapid for my 8wt. Fresh and Salt.

Post 15 Nov 2017, 15:16 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
"Won't break the bank" is a relative term of course, but....

I've never handled one in person, but if you want a new reel, I'd take a look at the Redington Behemoth at around $110 I think. If used is OK, you might look for a SA System 2. I've picked up several in new to almost new condition for under $100, sometimes well under. Really solid reels.

I guess you can decide for yourself on the rod, but as someone already noted above, my recollection is that even the Prime fans have been underwhelmed with the 8, or at least didn't think it cast/fished like an 8 wt. Anyway, perhaps be sure you want to keep the rod before buying a reel that you otherwise wouldn't need.

Post 16 Nov 2017, 11:00 • #5 
Guide
WNCtroutstalker wrote:
"Won't break the bank" is a relative term of course, but....

I've never handled one in person, but if you want a new reel, I'd take a look at the Redington Behemoth at around $110 I think. If used is OK, you might look for a SA System 2. I've picked up several in new to almost new condition for under $100, sometimes well under. Really solid reels.

I guess you can decide for yourself on the rod, but as someone already noted above, my recollection is that even the Prime fans have been underwhelmed with the 8, or at least didn't think it cast/fished like an 8 wt. Anyway, perhaps be sure you want to keep the rod before buying a reel that you otherwise wouldn't need.

Sure, great advice. I don't fish anything heavier than a 4 most of the time. I have two carbon 8 wts, and a Redington Behemoth 7/8 on one of those. It's a very solid reel, for sure.

I know a lot of folks are huge fans of the Prime 4 wt, but I wasn't totally wowed by that one -- probably need to try out some different lines. I just figured, for $49, I didn't have a lot to lose!

Post 26 Nov 2017, 19:19 • #6 
Master Guide
The 7.3!5wt Prime handles wf6f great and will even throw a bass taper 7wt line as well as the 5wt line as marked. I use an old BFR made Orvis Battenkill disc drag 5/6 so I would think the 7/8 model would work, ok in the salt and easily under $100 used.

New Topic Add Reply