It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 06:04

New Topic Add Reply
Ross Reels RR-3 question
Post 08 Nov 2017, 20:54 • #1 
Sport
I've recently come across this reel and could use some feedback. I've seen pictures of early Etna reels that had the serial #, but omitted the reel size that usually precedes the serial #. As you can see this particular reel is lacking both which has me stumped. So, anyone have any thoughts ? Could this have been a reel from an early wooden box set, or prototype ? Why go to the trouble of not following up the No. with at least a serial # ? Looking at the reel under magnification I can find no evidence of anything being removed. Thanks in advance for any info you can provide !

Post 08 Nov 2017, 21:14 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
Can't answer the question, but tell you this: these are IMO the most elegantly simple reels ever.

Post 08 Nov 2017, 23:50 • #3 
Master Guide
Interesting. I have one of the box sets, but as you brought up mine have the serial number (0013) and omit the reel size. I've seen sets for sale as low as number 12. Your reel seems to have all the hallmarks of a very early reel. Maybe it is a prototype. Good bet would be to get in touch with Ross. They still service these reels for customers so I would bet they can give you some info on them.

Post 09 Nov 2017, 13:20 • #4 
Sport
Thanks for the replies ! So, just spoke with Ross about it and their thoughts are that it could have been an employee purchase that just never received the laser etched serial # or a prototype of some sort, but that there isn't really any way to tell. The person I spoke with said she has seen a few others similar to this one over the years but they are rare. At any rate, according to Ross, if it was going on the shelf for customer purchase it would have had a serial #.

New Topic Add Reply