It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 04:53

Previous  1, 2 New Topic Add Reply
Post 08 Oct 2017, 00:43 • #26 
Master Guide
giogio wrote:
Wouldn't surprise me if an updated, made in the UK lightweight series came out shortly.

If they can swing it, they should. The lightweights are probably the best-designed and most functional fly reels of all time.

Post 08 Oct 2017, 01:05 • #27 
Master Guide
The new Marquis LWT is actually really close in architecture to the CFO. The color is different, and the main body of the reel is not ported, but the frame structure is pretty much the same.

Regarding country of origin, both the UK and South Korea are allies we have supported and fought alongside; both are vibrant democracies that value the rule of law and their people; both have issues (just like us). I don't have a problem buying products made in either country. Your mileage may vary.

Post 08 Oct 2017, 02:58 • #28 
Piscator
I would say there are lot of us here who have bought Korean-made Hardys without reservation, hawked them, praised them, warned that if we didn't buy them, they'd go away.

It was Hardy's decision to make the reels in limited runs marked Made in England and raise the price, not ours.

Post 08 Oct 2017, 11:40 • #29 
Glass Fanatic
Demand for click pawl reels is what it is and lower prices of Korean made reels probably aren't generating a lot of extra sales - therefore the decision to go upmarket. You will notice that that it's only the classic reels that are being on-shored. The Korean Hardy reels were priced competitively against some of the knock offs which is unusual (and the fact Hardy was manufacturing in Korea gave these knock offs more credibility) and couldn't be good commercially. It would be an interesting turn of fate if in the long run the relatively small runs of Korean reels ended up being scarce and therefore valuable to collectors.

Post 08 Oct 2017, 14:34 • #30 
Piscator
something else, Pure Fishing owns most tackle made now, and since Hardy designed the new Medalist using the Lightweight click-pawl, not having a Lightweight on the market increases demand for Medalist, while trimming inventory cuts their overhead.
Even more reason to later sell Limited-run Made in England Lightweights - the upgrade from Medalist.

Post 08 Oct 2017, 22:07 • #31 
Master Guide
bulldog1935 wrote:
something else, Pure Fishing owns most tackle made now, and since Hardy designed the new Medalist using the Lightweight click-pawl, not having a Lightweight on the market increases demand for Medalist, while trimming inventory cuts their overhead.
Even more reason to later sell Limited-run Made in England Lightweights - the upgrade from Medalist.

The underlying architecture of the modern Medalist is pretty much a straight-up hybrid of the Marquis and Lightweight series -- full frame with a spool that rides over the top just like a Marquis, with a check system lifted straight from the Lightweights. And the modern Marquis LWT is pretty much Marquis cosmetics applied to the Hardy-made Orvis CFO architecture -- open frame and knob-driven check system. The Dutchess seems to be the only "classic" reel I've seen in a while that is different -- with its semi-open frame and all.

The Marquis and Dutchess do look pretty nice from a distance. I must be getting old, though -- I'm happy to pick up a Marquis or CFO from ca. 1980 and just use that - which of course doesn't do much for the manufacturing job base...

Post 09 Oct 2017, 05:59 • #32 
Glass Fanatic
I'd like the new Medalist a lot better if they copied the Hardy reel foot. Is it just me? The foot plates are odd. They're not a good choice for rods with cap & ring seats.

Post 14 Feb 2018, 22:57 • #33 
Sport
After reading this thread earlier, I went to the Orvis web site to investigate, and found that the CFO I was available and there was a link to a waiting list for the models out of stock (CFO II, & CFO III). I put my name on the list for a III. This was around Christmas. Last week I got an email from Orvis that the reel could be available from one of their stores. So I ordered one and it came from a shop in Portland Oregon.
My only experience with true C&P reels is my Scientific Anglers System 6 which I have had for 38 years. I bought a LL Bean Pocket Water just in case I couldn't get a CFO. They are almost the same size.

Post 02 Mar 2023, 17:48 • #34 
Guide
New JLH reels would be welcomed.

Previous  1, 2 New Topic Add Reply