It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 20:50

1, 2  Next New Topic Add Reply
Post 30 Sep 2017, 22:54 • #1 
Guide
So I decided that I would like to purchase a brand new Hardy Lightweight or USA made Orvis CFO for my daughter only to find to huge surprise out that it appears that both were discontinued in the past year or two. Is it even possible that these classic click pawls are gone for good?? I didn't think there would ever be a time when these reels were not being made in some form unless the respective companies shut down for good.

Does anyone know the story why? Is there hope that there are there plans to bring these back or is it just a temporary shortage?

Post 01 Oct 2017, 04:46 • #2 
Piscator
Next best choice would be a Hardy Dutchess, and decent price from Harris Sportsmail.

Post 01 Oct 2017, 07:38 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
My memory is a bit hazy on both, but......

On the CFO, my recollection is that Orvis and Abel had a falling out, I believe because Abel was not awarded the new Mirage. I also believe someone, who had perhaps contacted Orvis, had posted something earlier this year that Orvis would be bringing production of the CFO in house (in the USA) with the new model being available towards the end of this year. But it's getting kind of late in the year for a new launch, especially if no "coming soon" announcements are on the website. But you might reach out to Orvis.

On the Lightweights, my recollection is that someone had posted that Hardy was shifting production of those back to England. However, it has been a while since the Korean models ceased production, and so maybe these are gone for good, or at least for now. You might try calling Hardy (Pure Fishing) for clarification, but in my experience, while the company has provided great repair-type services, their phone reps don't know much about the company's products.

Anyway, you might be able to get one or either if you wait, though I would investigate with each company to see what the ETA is, if they are coming at all. But if you don't want to wait, that Duchess that bulldog mentioned is quite nice. Good luck to you.

Post 01 Oct 2017, 09:30 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
WNCtroutstalker's recollections are the same as mine regarding both reels. Orvis still shows availability on the CFO I if that works for your daughter.

As a substitute I can heartily recommend both the Duchess, as Bulldog suggested or the new Marquis LWT through Harris Sportsmail for the best deal.

Post 01 Oct 2017, 10:13 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
Maybe some CFO (Abel made) in some Orvis stores? eBay always an option also.

Post 01 Oct 2017, 18:13 • #6 
Master Guide
You should take a look at the Hardy Marquis LWT reels. IMO, they are a notch nicer than either the CFO or the Lightweights, and I've owned/fished quite a few of both.

Post 01 Oct 2017, 21:26 • #7 
Master Guide
Not sure about the future of these reels, but I think you would do well to find a used Hardy-made CFO or English-made Lightweight. Get one in decent shape, keep it clean and it'll last another 100 years.
I saw where Abel got rid of the TR series. Such a shame a proven and bombproof design has fallen by the wayside.

Post 02 Oct 2017, 09:16 • #8 
Guide
Char Hunter wrote:
Not sure about the future of these reels, but I think you would do well to find a used Hardy-made CFO or English-made Lightweight. Get one in decent shape, keep it clean and it'll last another 100 years.
I saw where Abel got rid of the TR series. Such a shame a proven and bombproof design has fallen by the wayside.

I have quite a few vintage lightweights and CFO's and a couple TR's, but that isn't the point. It's a shame that you can't go out and buy one of these reels today. It's getting harder and harder to buy a nice clicker.

Those Marquis LWT's look nice and I might check it out, but it's still a shame.

Post 02 Oct 2017, 09:42 • #9 
Glass Fanatic
Current fishermen (or salesmen) want reels with train stopping drags... :D

Post 02 Oct 2017, 13:46 • #10 
Piscator
so the rest of us can be bored to tears

Post 02 Oct 2017, 14:00 • #11 
Glass Fanatic
It's that "Low start-up inertia" that gets my blood goin'...

Post 02 Oct 2017, 17:52 • #12 
Glass Fanatic
I view the discontinuation of the Abel reels as a good thing (although I personally love the reel). There's a good chance whoever makes the next iteration will finally offer spare spools. Hopefully they will be compatible with the Abel version, as well.

Post 02 Oct 2017, 18:37 • #13 
Glass Fanatic
I inquired with Orvis regarding the CFO.

To summarize, don't hold you breath waiting but they are at least in the conversation phase of development. :rolleyes

I also inquired with Hardy regarding the Lightweights but in my experience, getting a response from Pure Fishing is pure luck...sort of analogous to "don't hold your breath".

I'll post a reply if I get one.

Post 02 Oct 2017, 18:40 • #14 
Master Guide
mcfly wrote:
Char Hunter wrote:

I have quite a few vintage lightweights and CFO's and a couple TR's, but that isn't the point. It's a shame that you can't go out and buy one of these reels today. It's getting harder and harder to buy a nice clicker.

Those Marquis LWT's look nice and I might check it out, but it's still a shame.

I agree, it is a shame.

Post 02 Oct 2017, 19:05 • #15 
Glass Fanatic
Cross Creek wrote:
You should take a look at the Hardy Marquis LWT reels. IMO, they are a notch nicer than either the CFO or the Lightweights, and I've owned/fished quite a few of both.

I agree. The Marquis LWT are just as good if not better than the Lightweights or the older CFO (never fished a new one). Those Duchess reels look sweet too.
BTW, I have a CFO 123 I'd like to sell. PM me if you're interested.

Post 02 Oct 2017, 19:19 • #16 
Master Guide
It is my experience that many old rods and reels never completely go away, they are just waiting for you to find them on eBay. I just did a quick search on both the reels you are looking for and found multiple options. And I will echo what many others including bulldog, wnctroutstalker, bamboozle, et al have said about the Duchess; she is a pretty reel!

Good luck!

Post 02 Oct 2017, 21:19 • #17 
Sport
New CFOs are available on amazon and the last two orvis stores I was in within the last month.

Post 03 Oct 2017, 09:47 • #18 
Glass Fanatic
Orvis just sent out a $50 off a purchase of $200 or more - that would work on an Abel CFO in a store. Hey, $50 bucks is $50 bucks ;D

Post 03 Oct 2017, 10:33 • #19 
Sport
The Duchess has tempted me, a number of times.

I've been able to pick up a couple new CFOs off of eBay, with a bit of patience. There are deals to be had.

Post 03 Oct 2017, 11:05 • #20 
Glass Fanatic
jhuskey wrote:
Orvis just sent out a $50 off a purchase of $200 or more - that would work on an Abel CFO in a store.

Can it be used on fishing items? The recent coupons I've seen (most are the spend $50 save $25 ones) exclude fishing and various other items.

Post 03 Oct 2017, 11:25 • #21 
Glass Fanatic
It's on their website now as promo code FALL25. Good on all fishing items, as far as I can tell.

Scratch that. I just tried adding a CFO I to my basket and applying the code. It was 'ineligible'.

Post 03 Oct 2017, 14:24 • #22 
Glass Fanatic
The new normal with Orvis.

Post 03 Oct 2017, 14:50 • #23 
Glass Fanatic
Yep, should have read the coupon closer. No, on the gear we want. >:
Into the circular file.

Post 06 Oct 2017, 06:18 • #24 
Piscator
I would say the Lightweight series has probably entered the Marquis and St. George queue.
It wasn't long ago you couldn't buy a new Marquis, now you can't buy a new St. George.
That is, will be cycled back in later as a limited run when they believe they can price it higher.
Around 2005, I paid $230 (shipped) for a new Bougle MkIV at harrissportsmail, closeout, it was s/n 034. Of course, that reel has doubled in value, and about a year later, paid $250 for a Cascapedia (Kascapedia) MkII.
The point is, Hardy realizes they can get higher prices by limiting supply, and they can increase demand by making limited batch runs in England.

Post 06 Oct 2017, 09:20 • #25 
Glass Fanatic
Wouldn't surprise me if an updated, made in the UK lightweight series came out shortly.

1, 2  Next New Topic Add Reply