It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 04:46

New Topic Add Reply
Post 23 Sep 2017, 18:48 • #1 
Master Guide
I have several 1980-ish vintage Hardy Marquis reels. Anyone who has both the old and the new ones care to share thoughts? The new ones seem to incorporate some features from the Orvis CFO -- spool perforated on both sides, main real body open on both sides, etc. Are the new ones significantly lighter? Better anodizing? other insights?

Thanks,

Post 24 Sep 2017, 06:42 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
Hardy Marquis was underrated. Probably because of the plastic spindle cap on the back side which is a bit weird since the Sage 500 series also have a plastic spindle cap and is highly sought after. The new version of the Marquis looks quite nice but needs to be seen if it is valued differently. Functionality wise every Hardy is equally well built.

Perforated spool has been made regularly. For instance the JLH and Ultralite Disc reels from the 1990's also had perforated spoils. The more recent Korean made Lightweight reels and Bougle's also had perforated spools.

Post 24 Sep 2017, 15:30 • #3 
Piscator
I think the new reels are probably great, as are all new Hardys.
I suspect the checkwork are twins (and interchangeable), and yes, the new anodizing compared to the old enamel is a huge improvement.

New Topic Add Reply