It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 19:25

New Topic Add Reply
Post 20 Sep 2017, 09:17 • #1 
I am a Newbie to this forum and to Fiberglass Flyrodders and need some help from anyone who knows how to reassemble a Martin 48A automatic fly reel. This reel was my first fly rod reel whe I was a younger man and I just recently found it, took it apart to clean, oil, grease and de rust and now can't get it back together again. Help!! If someone has a video or how to with pics, it would be greatly appreciated. Would like to go fishing with this again!

Post 20 Sep 2017, 09:50 • #2 
Piscator
a scene from Blazing Saddles comes to mind - Son, you're on your own.

Post 20 Sep 2017, 10:51 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
Good luck.I tried to assemble a Japanese automatic reel once and found rewinding that spring to be a nightmare.It got thrown out.

Post 20 Sep 2017, 18:45 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
crazy- was at the local flea market last weekend and a guy who has tons of really cool and unusual stuff,had a strange looking tool gizmo that kind of resembled an old apple peeler .it was a tool for winding springs for clocks and other clock work wind up things.toys trains etc.and probably an auto fly reel.might want to reassemble that reel without the spring and put it on a shelf.if you really like these reels there are lots of them out there

Post 20 Sep 2017, 22:30 • #5 
Master Guide
If Bulldog says you're on your own then you're probably an inclined plane wrapped helically around an axis.

Post 21 Sep 2017, 10:25 • #6 
Master Guide
Not familiar with the Martin reel, but have put together many others. First, I haven't found one where the reel can't be assembled with the spring unwound. Other than some very early ones, automatic reels have a ratchet wind mechanism and a spring release mechanism to adjust where the spring wind ends when the reel is assembled. No need to assemble it with a given spring tension. (FYI, release the spring before disassembly)

Biggest issue I have had is getting the gear train aligned before slipping the spool back on. Many autos have cheap stamped gears and poor bearings that make putting the gears back together a pain.

I would look for any Martin instruction manual. They are probably all put together roughly the same.

Post 03 Oct 2017, 12:09 • #7 
Glass Fanatic
this is for a Perrine reel but it is similar for my Shakespeare Tru-Art automatic, so might be helpful,

viewtopic.php?p=205825#p205825

just a few posts down in that thread, for the Tru-Art,

viewtopic.php?p=205975#p205975

iirc the Martins could get complicated since they may have a drag mechanism as well as the simple spring.. in which case refer to the patent then give up ;-) sorry, but that would be a fairly complex bit of reassembly.

New Topic Add Reply