It is currently 20 Apr 2024, 00:05

Previous  1, 2 New Topic Add Reply
Post 04 Jul 2017, 05:23 • #26 
Master Guide
bulldog1935 wrote:
the obvious choice is Martin - their big "wedding cake" disc drag reels including the M72 multiplier.
Some of these have big line capacity - SD series.

A Billy Pate in a large line size will also have the weight you need.

4" JW Young - any salmon sized reel, but I'm thinking if you want an 11-wt, it's either for baby tarpon or king salmon.

There's a 4" Milward Flymaster listed on former Clark's board classifieds currently

About the 4" JW Young Salmon series. I have one which weighs 9oz. empty but the foot is rather thick, meaning it doesn't fit all reel seats, at least not the 9wt. Orvis bamboo I have.

BB

Post 04 Jul 2017, 09:23 • #27 
Glass Fanatic
GRASSNGLASS wrote:
Only thing I would like to caution on the Young Salmon size reels is watch out for the foot size.

I picked one up and carried it around with me for years, but never able to find a rod to use it on because foot was so large.

Finally, met Bill Franke at a fishing show up in the Catskills and he replaced the foot for me. I'm guessing new owner of pfoote can do the same, but factor that into the cost of the reel.

Barry

Dan (new owner of One Pfoot) recently made me a couple of "pfoots" for a 4" Young I have but they were essentially custom because the original is a three screw foot versus two and three screw Young feet are not on the website.

Bottom line it is doable but you will have to contact Dan versus buying off the One Pfoot website.

Post 05 Jul 2017, 04:55 • #28 
Master Guide
Bamboozle wrote:
GRASSNGLASS wrote:
Only thing I would like to caution on the Young Salmon size reels is watch out for the foot size.

I picked one up and carried it around with me for years, but never able to find a rod to use it on because foot was so large.

Finally, met Bill Franke at a fishing show up in the Catskills and he replaced the foot for me. I'm guessing new owner of pfoote can do the same, but factor that into the cost of the reel.

Barry

Dan (new owner of One Pfoot) recently made me a couple of "pfoots" for a 4" Young I have but they were essentially custom because the original is a three screw foot versus two and three screw Young feet are not on the website.

Bottom line it is doable but you will have to contact Dan versus buying off the One Pfoot website.

I was in contact with Dan over the course of about a year for a 3-screw Young foot...he kept saying he was going to make them, but so far nothing, nor did he offer to do a custom job for me. I wonder if it's the custom foot that Dan made for you he sent me a picture of?

BB

Post 05 Jul 2017, 11:09 • #29 
Glass Fanatic
bvandeuson wrote:

I was in contact with Dan over the course of about a year for a 3-screw Young foot...he kept saying he was going to make them, but so far nothing, nor did he offer to do a custom job for me. I wonder if it's the custom foot that Dan made for you he sent me a picture of? BB

If it helps I received them in April and it took at least a year to get them. (I have the patience of a saint but I am persistent if someone says they can and will do something for me ;)).

I ordered two because I believe spares and making the most of opportunities. Dan inquired as to the rod I planned to use the reel on so he could make sure the new feet, fit. They are "natural finish" aluminum (I wanted black to match the original) but obviously I wasn't going to say no because anodizing two feet was not an option. I can paint one if it really bothers me.

Like everything with the One Pfoot name, they are a fine piece of work.

Previous  1, 2 New Topic Add Reply