It is currently 20 Apr 2024, 03:35

New Topic Add Reply
Post 24 Apr 2017, 11:46 • #1 
Guide
Hope someone can help...

Have to move some 'stuff' to finance some different 'stuff'. Sadly, among the items I'll be selling is a Ross San Miguel Three. Reel has been fished, shows a surface scratch (faint and not through the anodizing) and a tiny nick in the rim, both on the drag-side. Gotta look close to see them but in the interest of complete fairness, they are there. I have the factory box, warranty card, and manual. I do not have the neoprene pouch as that was last seen floating down Montana's Rock Creek @ 3k CFS. Readily available through Ross...,.

Mechanically, the reel is Mint. Absolutely the smoothest reel I've ever encountered. Cosmetics as described but still drop-dead sexy.

The issue is, I've no idea what to price it at and while I could put it on "everyone's favorite auction site", really hate that. Looking at past sales brings up old sales, LTD editions, beaters.

Any idea what to ask for it???

THANKS!!!!!!!

Dave

Post 24 Apr 2017, 12:37 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
As of a year or so ago I would have said $350 - $400 assuming it's in "very good" (near but not quite mint) condition, which is how I'm interpreting your description. If the scratches are more severe, then maybe a bit less, but it sounds like your reel is far from being a beater. I wouldn't think the absence of the pouch should have much of an impact on value given that the reel has been fished. I suspect the market hasn't materially changed in that time, but I just haven't followed it in a while since I sold my San Miguel. And the range above is just my best guess. Ebay would be the ultimate barometer, but I understand you don't want to go that route.

Post 24 Apr 2017, 13:22 • #3 
Guide
WCN,

Appreciate the input!

Definitely not a beater by any stretch but always want full disclosure selling anything other than Mint or NIB.

I visit a local fly shop and had brought it in to buy backing when I 1st bought the reel. The owner was so excited to see it and ran to his vest hanging on the wall only to pull out his San Miguel Two. What a beater!!!! I cannot imagine how anyone can get a reel to look like other than dragging it behind your truck for a few miles... Either way, that reel still purred!

Checked ebay but not much there currently and cannot access past auctions. Hopefully hear from someone that has recently sold or bought a similar reel.

Thanks!!!!!!

Dave

Post 24 Apr 2017, 14:22 • #4 
Master Guide
I had a #2 stolen years ago...been looking for the last 3-4 years to replace it.
What's it worth? What the market will bear. The ones I have found on EBay are going for $350-$500...are they worth it ? Hell no!
But there are folks out there that will pay it.

Post 24 Apr 2017, 17:55 • #5 
Guide
Dave,

You have a very nice reel there. I've had a couple of them in both the #1 and #2 sizes and sold the #2 and regretted it son after. Mine was mint! I bought another #2 not long after with a bit of rash in her and I hate that but...it is what it is! I also got a brand new spool for it. I really hate "rash" on my tools.

The # 3 is a tad less desirable than the smaller #2 but in as god a condition as you say I'd have to agree with troutstalker. If it were me needing one I'd go you $300 shipped and feel that was fair.

I also hope you don't resort to the auction site as they take too a large chunk. Check your PM's for some hopeful info which I'm not certain I can say in an open note per the rules. Dunno there but I'll ere on the safe side.

Post 24 Apr 2017, 19:14 • #6 
Glass Fanatic
If you are not in a huge rush, I would avoid ebay right now. Demand is inconsistent and some items are going for less than they have been. Some go for just as much, it's the specific auction. I picked up an excellent condition SM-1 with a box and papers for under $350. I really hadn't been expecting to win it, and it took a chunk out of my mad money, but it was worth it. I would expect $400 as the top end in this market. $280 and someone would probably jump at it.

Post 24 Apr 2017, 19:46 • #7 
Glass Fanatic
E bay sales, which reach a wide market and enable optimum display pictures and description, usually indicate high end potential. What stuff sells for on Ebay is typically high relative to what can be expected in a private sale, especially a "must sell" sale.

Never sell anything if you must sell it.

"What I could get on Ebay" is also not an indicator, because any savvy buyer will just say "well if you can get that much, you should list it on Ebay. I might bid on it" (which indicates, I won't bid close to the hoped for price.) Similarly, "what I would pay if buying" or "what I wouldn't take less than . . . for mine" aren't reliable indicators, just theoretical.

Find a good recent sale on Ebay in the sold items (not closed auctions for unsold items) and expect about 20 to 25 percent less from a private sale. I only peaked, but I think recent sales have been 300 to 400 depending on condition, and with all accoutrements. People assume some minor risk in any private sale, no matter how reliable the would-be seller is perceived. So they expect to pay less.

For top dollar, sell on Ebay. Start the item relatively low, let's say half of what you think is a reasonable outcome for the auction. Provide a high quality photo display and accurate description. Then, what the item sells for is what it is worth.

Post 24 Apr 2017, 21:29 • #8 
Master Guide
The San Miguel is one of my favorite reels, hands down. Prices have been all over the place lately. I'm betting your SM3 would bring ~$275-300 without many problems. However, I did just sell a SM1 in what im guessing is similar condition to yours for what I thought was a "giving it away" price ($225), and it will still hard to move for whatever reason.

-Chase

Post 25 Apr 2017, 06:28 • #9 
Glass Fanatic
Don't give it away for a low price... that reel is well worth 300+.

Unless you need to unload it .. then you do run the risk of what happens on the devil's playground site.
Could be good - could be dishearteningly bad. Kinda pick in a poke situation. UGH!

I say - take some pics and sell it here on this site ------ you already have interest. - Brian

Post 27 Apr 2017, 00:37 • #10 
Glass Fanatic
eBay, BIN option at the higher end with a make an offer option. Sorry brother board members, but you're all kinda cheap. Ebay will usually fetch more.

New Topic Add Reply