It is currently 20 Apr 2024, 09:11

Previous  1, 2 New Topic Add Reply
Post 25 May 2017, 10:14 • #26 
Master Guide
Good pointers. I have had some interesting times just stripping line and backing onto the floor and then reeling it back onto the spool. I've collected wind knots, two tooth picks, a ball of orange cat hair and a paper clip using that method.

Post 25 May 2017, 16:27 • #27 
Glass Fanatic
I use the pencil and couch cushion method.... the pencil holds the spool help intact by the couch cushions. But i do intend to buy one of these shown here.

Is the Struble one still available ?

Last edited by Brian Shaffer on 26 May 2017, 14:30, edited 1 time in total.

Post 25 May 2017, 19:00 • #28 
Piscator
http://www.angelfire.com/ks/bingham/struline.html
this is the only one that googles, but doesn't necessarily mean he has a cache of them

Post 26 May 2017, 18:15 • #29 
Glass Fanatic
Karen at Bingham is great to deal with, but I'm not sure her website is up to date.

Drop her a note or give her a call.

Post 27 May 2017, 09:45 • #30 
Glass Fanatic
I did both.. they do not have any for sale. :-(

Post 27 May 2017, 11:46 • #31 
Guide
I use the foot tensioner method - when the wife isn't home. She goes a bit batty after about 15 seconds of clicking.

Post 02 Jun 2017, 05:57 • #32 
Master Guide
bvandeuson wrote:
Two methods, depending on circumstance. One is for when you know how much backing you're going to put on the bare spool and that's the Berkley line winding tool. The other is for when I have the backing wound over the flyline already spooled on the bare reel to see how much I need. I have a homemade setup using a cheap extension cord reel with pool noodles in the holes. It's wide enough that when I take the backing and flyline off the reel, they can be separated for winding back on in reverse.

BB

http://flyanglersonline.com/features/re ... /rc336.php

You can add a board to the bottom for more stability (recommended), and even rig up a way to mount an old reel seat to hold the reel.

Post 02 Jun 2017, 23:54 • #33 
Master Guide
I do it in a simple way. I put a pencil through the hole in the backing spool and anchor the pencil upright in anything that will hold it that way. I mount the reel on a rod butt section and wind in using finger tension, just as if reeling in a fish.

A key element for me (especially with big-fish reels), is to wind the backing on the reel in level winds that lie pretty much parallel next to one another, then every time I go from one side of the reel spool to the other, make several zig-zag winds angled back and forth sharply across the width of spool. Those criss-cross winds help keep the backing from digging into itself when the line is under strong tension when playing a fish. I used to work in a sports shop where we loaded spinning reels with mono or conventional saltwater reels with braided lines, and the serious anglers were pleased with the way we put on their lines.

Previous  1, 2 New Topic Add Reply