It is currently 20 Apr 2024, 08:14

1, 2  Next New Topic Add Reply
Adding backing at home
Post 07 Mar 2017, 22:48 • #1 
Guide
I typically have someone hold a spool of backing with a pencil through the hole and just have them add tension to the spool while I try to hold the reel and wind it on evenly. I know there are those line winding machines out there. How do you all add backing (and fly line for that matter) at home?

Post 07 Mar 2017, 23:08 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
I gave up on my wife decades ago to hold the tension properly because she got easily distracted. It always ended up in a mess so I put a pen through the hole of the spool and hold the pen between the toes of both my feet, applying tension by squeezing the bottoms of my feet against the spool. Same with fly lines. Hey, it works!

Post 07 Mar 2017, 23:18 • #3 
Master Guide
Spool in a bowl, backing going through my knees to tension as I reel from sitting in a chair.

Post 08 Mar 2017, 00:08 • #4 
Master Guide
I received a Reel-E-Good winder a few Christmases ago. One of the greatest gifts ever.

Post 08 Mar 2017, 00:14 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
I do as the Crusty one does.

Bob

Post 08 Mar 2017, 08:00 • #6 
Piscator
never let a shop use a motorized line winder on your vintage reels.

I have several line winders, including one of the discontinued Struble winders with a line spool axle that can be attached.
But a long hanger on a pegboard works just as well.

Post 08 Mar 2017, 08:03 • #7 
Piscator
I've tried to sell this one, and it's still boxed up, but two people have backed out.
I can't imagine how people fish silk lines without one of these

Post 08 Mar 2017, 08:04 • #8 
Glass Fanatic
I have a line winder I bought on Amazon. I can't recall exactly what I paid but it was cheap. $7? Anyway, it beats hearing complaints from whoever you got to hold the pencil. The mount works well on my kitchen counter. Better yet, my backing and line are on their reels better than before I got the gizmo.

Post 08 Mar 2017, 08:19 • #9 
Glass Fanatic
I just put my dacron backing on with the spool on a pencil in my basement vice, angled slightly up. I wind the backing on using very light tension applied by my thumb and finger. As dacron has very little stretch, it is hard to put tension on by this method. A machine could, but as noted above, machines are not well suited. I try not to overthink this stuff.

Post 08 Mar 2017, 09:14 • #10 
Guide
I won some larger capacity reels that will take 200-300 yards of backing, hence my question. With trout I rarely come close to my backing but these reels I would use for hotter fish. Didn't want a shoddy application of backing to cause a break off. With my smaller reels I think I wouldn't always spool the backing on all that even. The reels are set up for RHW but I prefer LHW so the backing that is already on the reels (evenly) is going to have to be reversed

Post 08 Mar 2017, 09:59 • #11 
Glass Fanatic
FishOn, I've caught hundreds of bonefish with backing I have wound on myself. It does take some patience. To reverse backing on reels, I'll get to a large open field, pull all of the backing out, then wind it on the other way (after reversing the reel) - this eliminates any twisting that might occur or was wound into the backing in the first place. That reminds me I have two Bauer reels that need that done.

Post 08 Mar 2017, 11:08 • #12 
Glass Fanatic
Hi fishing friends :)

I bought this at a Westfly auction years ago and oh yes I am so happy I did. Be worth you while to click the link because these are no longer made. One of you might want to make something similar. The fish shape makes it special.
https://www.salmonfishingforum.com/forums/thread50566.html

Good fishing to you all.

Paul

Post 08 Mar 2017, 11:51 • #13 
Piscator
All my salt reels are wound by hand, up to 400 yards.
I put in two tight winds, end-to-end across the spool face, laced with a third wider-spaced wrap across the spool face.
This helps to prevent backlash w/ fast fish.

Post 08 Mar 2017, 12:50 • #14 
Glass Fanatic
Ditto on what Bulldog said except I do it on all my reels.

Post 08 Mar 2017, 16:24 • #15 
Master Guide
Two methods, depending on circumstance. One is for when you know how much backing you're going to put on the bare spool and that's the Berkley line winding tool. The other is for when I have the backing wound over the flyline already spooled on the bare reel to see how much I need. I have a homemade setup using a cheap extension cord reel with pool noodles in the holes. It's wide enough that when I take the backing and flyline off the reel, they can be separated for winding back on in reverse.

BB

Post 08 Mar 2017, 22:52 • #16 
Guide
For my small reels that will only be used on small fish in small places, I will use older used Dacron if I have any, and I sometimes even use old fly line that I will never use; almost anything to take up the space on the reel spool, except mono. My salt water reels are a different story and I use good quality Dacron for them. BTW, Dacron can be expensive and I have found some real bargains on NOS Dacron on the bay.
As far as spooling backing on the reel, I clamp a wooden dowel (pointing straight up) into my vice on my little apartment sized work bench and then slip the spool of backing over the dowel (the spool is now sideways). I put the reel on a rod so that it is easier to hold, tie the backing to the spool, and wind away until I reach the desired amount. I will hold the line in one had so as to put a little tension on it.
Joe

Post 09 Mar 2017, 05:43 • #17 
Master Guide

This one works fine for me.

Post 09 Mar 2017, 07:42 • #18 
Guide
CrustyBugger wrote:
I gave up on my wife decades ago to hold the tension properly because she got easily distracted. It always ended up in a mess so I put a pen through the hole of the spool and hold the pen between the toes of both my feet, applying tension by squeezing the bottoms of my feet against the spool. Same with fly lines. Hey, it works!

Thanks Crusty!

And I thought I was the only one crazy enough to do that.

Post 09 Mar 2017, 07:43 • #19 
Piscator
I put a Struble fighting butt in mine, but sadly, that's the discontinued line winder.

Post 09 Mar 2017, 09:22 • #20 
Glass Fanatic
I use all sorts of line winders for my fly silk lines including Hardy & Farlow cricket bat versions at home and Hardy Compact driers for the field (I don't like the Strubel at all in comparison). I use the Angler's Image or a Farlow for plastic lines.

However for winding backing, I prefer my cheap old Bass Pro Shops fishing line winder. Just about any conventional fishing line spooler will do the job as most have some way to apply tension. I prefer versions that only hold the line, not a reel because I prefer to use a regular rod section with a reelseat to do my winding.

It ain't pretty, classic or fast but it works and I also use it for my conventional reels.

Last edited by Bamboozle on 09 Mar 2017, 16:54, edited 1 time in total.

Post 09 Mar 2017, 13:21 • #21 
Guide
I solved my problems regarding amt. of backing/changing lines etc in about an hours time...it's wonderful! An' simple to the max.!

Post 18 May 2017, 14:28 • #22 
This isn't my blog, but I built a similar spooling station and I love it. I made a few adjustments, however.

I added a compression spring on the bolt that holds the spool, so that I can adjust the tension and just use my fingers to guide the backing and line onto the reel. I have a nylon locking nut holding the bolt to the board, then a washer, then a spring, then a 2nd washer, then spool of line, then a 3rd washer, a regular nut, then a wing nut. I use the two nuts to lock the spool in place. I found that just a wing nut holding the spool on wasn't sufficient, the wingnut would slowly release and ease the tension.

The author mentions at the bottom he added a cheap line counter and eventually put an old reel seat on instead of the dowel, but I haven't done those things.

(It even works well for baitcasting reels, but we don't have to talk about that here)

http://www.tight-lined-tales-of-a-fly-f ... ation.html

Post 18 May 2017, 14:35 • #23 
Glass Fanatic
I use the tried and true method... put on a bunch as a total guess, all by hand. Then put the line on and realize I need to take 20 yards of backing off. Undo the line while swearing and letting it pile up all over the floor. Then redo after cutting off a guestimate of the excessive backing. So far I haven't had to do it another time yet, but someday I probably will.

Post 18 May 2017, 16:36 • #24 
Piscator
Joe, if you use loop to loop, the tag loop on your line will not change, and you'll only have to tie a new loop on your backing.

Post 18 May 2017, 16:45 • #25 
Master Guide
Reel E Good line winder, thanks to my daughter a couple of years ago for Christmas.

1, 2  Next New Topic Add Reply