It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 16:16

Previous  1, 2, 3 New Topic Add Reply
Post 20 Feb 2017, 21:58 • #51 
Glass Fanatic
I went back to check out the North Branch Reels site. The gears and pawls are white delrin. Dave outlined some test he ran with pawls and gears of all types of materials. His whole site is full of interesting reads. I may have to order one!

Post 20 Feb 2017, 23:16 • #52 
Master Guide
Scud:
I once bought a Heddon Imperial reel that was missing its pawl. I bought some small sheets of teflon and fashioned a new pawl. Works great although I don't use the reel alot so I can't speak to longevity

Post 21 Feb 2017, 10:34 • #53 
Piscator
I've fabricated Imperial pawls by milling Hardy and Young pawls on coarse diamond lapping wheels at work.

Imperial doesn't get to be cheap, either. It was marketed by Heddon as the Best Fly Reel Made in America.

I believe the original Imperial in 1922 was built by Jack Welch who benchmade Heddon's baitcasters

The 1st model Imperial was so close to the St. George, I think Hardy shut them down in court, and Heddon responded with the Little Rivers (Shakespeare Russell) until the late 30s when they reintroduced the Imperial (end of St. George patent)
I'm not sure how Shakespeare got away with the Russell (probably the quality of their attorneys - they were in court continuously with Pflueger until they bought Pflueger)
Image Image

Post 21 Feb 2017, 11:37 • #54 
Glass Fanatic
bulldog1935 wrote:
I wouldn't call out the pawls without noting the matching gears. The most violent wear application in a fishing reel.

so here's a really cheap reel, Shakespeare 2530, my first fly reel -

The pawl is just fine, the gear has completely worn out. There is no longer any resistance to outgoing line, just a sort of nasty dying rattle. The small bit of white foam is in there to provide overrun control - fished the reel in this condition for several years before I could afford another reel..

Post 21 Feb 2017, 12:40 • #55 
Piscator
yep, I've seen some with aluminum gears and steel pawls.

Post 21 Feb 2017, 14:14 • #56 
Master Guide
Bulldog, you are right about the imperial not being a cheap reel. It is a real smooth reel. Was just hijacking the pawl issue.

Post 23 May 2017, 00:05 • #57 
Bdog, I just threw away a '68 racing Peugeot in near perfect condition with original leather seat. Cleared my storage unit out n had not ridden it since high school. Favorite "cheap" reels are Martins.

Edited due to exhaustion: Stepfather's HS get around too. I'm old!

Post 23 May 2017, 05:58 • #58 
Piscator
I'm hoping you're being facetious. a '68 Peugeot in any condition is a holy grail collector's bike, and one should be usable into the next century at least. If by throwing it out you meant donated it to a co-op, I'm ok with that. If you sent it to a landfill, I'd rather you did that with you wallet or automobile, or your house.

unless, of course, one is a dyed in the wool Anglophile.
'57, '60, '47 - the lead group in last week's group ride

Post 23 May 2017, 10:59 • #59 
Glass Fanatic
I have lately come to be a fan of the SA System 2 reels...very stout and that drag would stop a 3/4 ton truck. I have a 4/5L and a 5/6L both with extra spools...I shopped around a little but have less than $75 in each reel...the 3 extra spools for each. Good shopping and lucky buys not expensive but solid reels. I also love my Medalists...but carefully shopped so they have been under $30. Great values!

Post 23 May 2017, 17:54 • #60 
Glass Fanatic
I happen to be in need of 2 Heddon Imperial pawls...thanks bulldog

Post 24 May 2017, 06:01 • #61 
Piscator
warning to everybody, you can't get Hardy parts from Hardy anymore - you can't even talk with or message Hardy service. The new owner has a small monopoly mind.

Post 24 May 2017, 13:17 • #62 
Glass Fanatic
bulldog1935 wrote:
a '68 Peugeot in any condition is a holy grail collector's bike..If you sent it to a landfill

then tell us where the landfill is, maybe one of us can go rescue it ;-)

Post 24 May 2017, 17:13 • #63 
Glass Fanatic
How much is Hardy worth?

That said, some cheap reels have sentimental value. I have a couple. But when I have the $$$ I buy for beauty, utility, and quality and that usually costs some money.

Post 27 May 2017, 08:59 • #64 
Master Guide
I like the Cahill Crystal River that cost $14 at Academy and that is not the sale price. I started out using them with experimental lines
but now I am folding them in as reels I fish my 2wt to 3wt rods. They are graphite and the foot can be filed down easily if needed for a
slip ring type reel seat.

Why do I like them? I like their look, I think they are a beautiful reel; I don't fish with the drag on a any reel (prefer to palm when drag is needed), I like click an pawl and I can fish this reel like a click and pawl; if I turn the drag all the way down the reel offers just enough resistance to not over-run.

I think the 5/6 reel is a good match for my smaller rods. I have 4, 5/6 and 1, 3/4 Cahill Crystal River Reels.

Draw backs? Occasionally the line will slip between the housing and the spool. It's easy to correct this by running the line back though the gap or removing the spool. I've never lost a fish due to this issue since it's easy to correct (and doesn't happen very often, if it did I wouldn't fish the reel). Also, most importantly, I have never damaged a fly line under these circumstances.

Thanks to Pearow, a member of this forum, for suggesting the use of this reel.

Last edited by JimR on 28 May 2017, 08:30, edited 1 time in total.

Post 28 May 2017, 07:37 • #65 
Guide
I have a red bronson royalist 370 that i brought back to life. Its gorgeous, light and balances perfect on my 7'6" orvis golden eagle

Post 29 May 2017, 11:12 • #66 
Guide
my brother picked up a new Cabelas CGR 5-6 for me for $30 and i ordered the 3-4 which was backordered for $30 it will be here in two days,these are nice reels, the quality is as good as any reel up and around $100, i have the new Pfleuger and these are as nice as it, if Cabelas made these in green- red-gold etc. and did not vent these they could not keep them in stock, i have had Perfects-JAF-Vosselser-Lamson-Ross which are all great reels but these work too.

Post 02 Jun 2017, 22:57 • #67 
Glass Fanatic
arroshooter wrote:
my brother picked up a new Cabelas CGR 5-6 for me for $30 and i ordered the 3-4 which was backordered for $30 it will be here in two days,these are nice reels, the quality is as good as any reel up and around $100, i have the new Pfleuger and these are as nice as it, if Cabelas made these in green- red-gold etc. and did not vent these they could not keep them in stock, i have had Perfects-JAF-Vosselser-Lamson-Ross which are all great reels but these work too.

Thanks for the comments on the CGR reel. Sounds like a low cost winner. Yes, I too wish more reels were non-ported.

Previous  1, 2, 3 New Topic Add Reply