It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 17:40

New Topic Add Reply
The Hanson Fly Reel
Post 16 Sep 2016, 18:22 • #1 
Master Guide
The Hanson Fly Reel, made in Skelton, New Jersey. Early 1950's Hanson Machine Company. David Hanson made trout reel. 3 1/8" in diameter. 7/8" wide and weighed 6 ounces. Made of aluminum, chartreuse colored frame and backplate and a contrasting bright aluminum spool. It is a simple design with a fixed click and few refinements other than a spring loaded ball bearing oil port similar to that use on some Edward vom Hofe reels.

My info is from the link below that bulldog1935, "Ron" posted of an article written by Jim Brown in 1989. Harry McVickar and the Bushkill Fly Reel. Posted on the Classic Fly Rod Forum, 2015. THANKS RON! Its the only information I can find.

Very cool interesting reel and hope someone can help with more information. Flip the pawl and it is left hand wind right?

It has not been cleaned yet found as is on ebay a few days ago. Enjoy the pictures!

Thanks,

Russ

http://classicflyrodforum.com/forum/vie ... n+fly+reel

Flipping the pawl seems ok?

Re: The Hanson Fly Reel
Post 17 Mar 2017, 23:13 • #2 
Master Guide
Hey everyone, thought I would bring the thread up again in hopes to see another one or even learn a bit more about it.

Russ

Post 18 Mar 2017, 01:23 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
Did flipping the pawl make it lefthanded?

Post 18 Mar 2017, 06:34 • #4 
Master Guide
By flipping the pawl it seems to be just fine? Sounds the same to me right or left hand wind. Right now the reel sits displayed in my reel cabinet. But Spring is coming and I'm starting to think get it lubed up and take it fishing :P

I'm kind of afraid to use it but I didn't pay much for it.

Post 18 Mar 2017, 08:12 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
I can see that the camming surfaces of the pawl are biased (think of them as levers, one slightly longer than the other), so in combination with the where they bear on the spring (the shorter the "length" of the spring from mounting point to bearing point, the stiffer), the reel should have slightly different winding resistance. The ideal would be to remount the flat spring in mirror position, which might be accomplished if a groove were cut directly opposite. Can't see exactly how the spring is retained, though. Then the pawl would be turned over from its RHW position.

You can see it has been painted at one time or another. Twas me, I would clean it up, leave it bright or slap some spray paint on it, lube it and fish it.

Post 18 Mar 2017, 08:26 • #6 
Master Guide
"chartreuse colored frame and backplate"

I'm hoping from the reel description that the paint is original. But it may not be? Another reason why I would like to see another.

Post 18 Mar 2017, 08:48 • #7 
Piscator
myfly wrote:
By flipping the pawl it seems to be just fine? Sounds the same to me right or left hand wind. Right now the reel sits displayed in my reel cabinet. But Spring is coming and I'm starting to think get it lubed up and take it fishing :P

I'm kind of afraid to use it but I didn't pay much for it.

He has probably copied the geometry of the Medalist click-pawl.
They will perform in LHW if you push down the pin that allows you to rotate the pawl.

Boeshield and rub.

The weep hole in the spindle is for an oil reservoir.

Post 18 Mar 2017, 13:41 • #8 
Glass Fanatic
Now that is a neat reel. I'd fish the heck out of it. I own a couple fairly rare reels and several expensive ones. Over time they all get fished. Life is too short for me to leave beauty in a drawer. Good fishing to you.

Paul

Post 18 Mar 2017, 14:57 • #9 
Master Guide
whrlpool wrote:
Can't see exactly how the spring is retained, though. Then the pawl would be turned over from its RHW position.

You can see it has been painted at one time or another. Twas me, I would clean it up, leave it bright or slap some spray paint on it, lube it and fish it.

whrlpool the spring appears to be pressed in place starting on the outside edge of rim. It's not pictured but backside of reel under the foot I can see the very end of the spring. Looks like the foot might actually hold the starting edge as well as the outer rim. Hope that makes sense to you guys?

The paint looks original to me but what I found odd was the pawl had paint on it also. The outer rim and the front rim paint has a nice wear or patina look to it.

Post 18 Mar 2017, 15:14 • #10 
Master Guide
Thanks Ron for the information! In your circle of reel collector friends do you know of any other Hanson reels around? Can I do anything to the face of the aluminum spool or should I just oil and leave it as is?

I'm happy to hear it is fine to just flip that pawl for LHW. The pawl will actually fall off that pin if I'm not careful taking the spool off. Might have worn a bit thru the years? But with the spool and spindle back in place it has a nice strong click and appears to be working just fine. I will get it tuned up and get a good line on it. Then take it fishing!

Whoops forgot above to thanks whrpool also! And Paul!

Post 18 Mar 2017, 17:21 • #11 
Piscator
I think it looks fine - I would just use Boeshield on it.
You could try polishing it with compound, but it might make the contrast greater.
Don't know anything specific about the reel, and all my reel collecting friends are here.
Can't google anything on him, his company, and he apparently didn't apply for any patents.

Post 18 Mar 2017, 18:23 • #12 
Glass Fanatic
The lettering is fine and sharp. I find it hard to imagine that it's not the original paint on the body. Paint would've clogged up some of the lettering if a novice did it. Green was a popular gear color back then, as it is now. I'm with Paul, it's a sharp reel and it deserves to see the water.

Post 09 Apr 2017, 09:37 • #13 
Master Guide
Cool reel! I've never seen one like that...

Post 06 Mar 2018, 18:40 • #14 
Sport
While doing research on the Hanson reel I came across this old thread from just about this same time last year.

I thought you might like to see what a new-in-the-box one looked liked.

Dean.

Post 06 Mar 2018, 20:08 • #15 
Glass Fanatic
Cool,i like the color.

Post 06 Mar 2018, 21:26 • #16 
Master Guide
Dean where did you find that beauty! Wow! I really need an extra spool for mine :P

Russ

Post 07 Mar 2018, 07:49 • #17 
Piscator
the spindle has nicely-done built-in oil reservoir

Post 20 Mar 2018, 09:36 • #18 
Glass Fanatic
That is a very cool looking reel. Its sexy in its simplicity.
Is the click like a purr or a rickety ratchet ?

Post 20 Mar 2018, 20:18 • #19 
Master Guide
It’s more like a purr. Might even be a bit better than the Hardy clones. :)

Post 28 Jun 2018, 15:11 • #20 
Glass Fanatic
I'd love to find one of these. Seems like it would pair nicely with an old heddon or something similar.

New Topic Add Reply