It is currently 20 Apr 2024, 05:47

Previous  1, 2 New Topic Add Reply
Post 01 Feb 2016, 10:40 • #26 
Master Guide
When I started out fly fishing in the 60's everybody had autos, and many old guys still fished bait with fly tackle. I take one out now and again to remember the old timers.

I have two favorites. The best working IMHO is the old Shakespeare Tru Art. Like their saying, it is built like a watch (OK, a cheap mass produced watch). I also like the older Meisselbach auto. They are truly built like a tank and have a little nickel silver trim that goes with an old bamboo rod. However, they are as heavy as a tank as well. Martin and Perrine auto reels were probably the most common when I was a kid.

Post 05 May 2016, 17:26 • #27 
Guide
I started out in 1971, at the age of 11, using a Shakespeare, then went to a Martin, then got a Mitchell. Still have the Mitchell and still use it. The Martin was my favorite. In 1980 I went to mostly using direct drive and I have dozens of those. Just recently I've gotten back into fiberglass rods and automatic reels to go with them. I have a new Pflueger that works very well, the aforementioned Mitchell, as well as a few others I've picked up on Ebay. Such great fun!

Post 05 May 2016, 21:55 • #28 
Master Guide
When I started fly fishing, automatic reels were used because it simplified one handed fly fishing. The other hand was used for sculling the boat. We all developed an ability to cast with either hand so we could work either side of the bank. When we hooked a bass or needed to shorten a cast we could take up the fly line slack with the same hand the fly rod was held in and kept the other hand sculling.

Post 09 May 2016, 15:56 • #29 
Master Guide
The first fly reel I ever had was an auto. I overwound and broke it the first time I used it...also found out about how tightly coiled those springs are when I opened it in an attempt to fix it. That was 1967 and between that reel, the rod and my ignorance, I gave up fly fishing for the next five years.

I have one auto now...picked it up on ebay because it is clean satin silver all over and appealed to my eye. Have never used it.

I have a P&K American made semi-auto which is great for picking up loose line when boat or pond fishing.

Post 12 Feb 2017, 18:14 • #30 
Glass Fanatic
I live in the metro area and the favorite rivers are a day trip....but I have 3 nice little lakes near me that are full of Bluegill, so I am going to pick up an auto to use with my Wright McGill Sweetheart for Bluegill for when I don't have a full day to devote to fishing.

Post 26 Sep 2017, 12:18 • #31 
Sport
I still use a Shakespeare No. 1822 OK Automatic, Model EB (1969) with a J.C. Higgins fiberglas rod on small streams. My grandparents introduced me to auto flyreel fishing in the 1950's and I find it super convenient to retrieve line quickly. I can adjust the speed of the line retrieve by varying the amount of pressure put on the release lever--works well after you educate your finger!

Post 28 Sep 2017, 00:26 • #32 
Guide
i have a fondness for oren-o-matics,and use them for warm water fish.i think they go great with fiberglass.i especially like them with level line.

i never use them for trout,because i like to take trout on the reel,but blue gill,i don't mind stripping in.i use the auto just to take up slack of line between my stripping hand and the reel.

Post 03 Oct 2017, 11:23 • #33 
Glass Fanatic
I have since my last post on this thread, picked up several Autos, Shakespeare, Perrines and most recently a Herters on an 8 1/2 foot Herters rod. I was surprised at how well the rod ballanced with the reel. I need to put new line on it and I intend to fish it at the lake at the cabin this weekend.

Post 10 Oct 2017, 16:07 • #34 
Glass Fanatic
i have an 8ft presidential wonderod with brown over black wraps.it came with a brown shakespeare auto and bass line.really makes the rod not "tippy" as i feel the long wonderods are.came with some good bass bug line on it and it casts well.really a great looking combo.wonder if it was sold as a combo.

Post 12 Oct 2017, 19:08 • #35 
Guide
When this thread started I just happened to find my Gramps' old auto that fished he with:
The line on it must be at least 40 years old hahaha. One of these years I think I'll refinish the old bamboo stick he fished with.

Previous  1, 2 New Topic Add Reply