It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 04:30

Previous  1, 2 New Topic Add Reply
Post 25 May 2014, 14:18 • #26 
Glass Fanatic
Randy, to me your collection is one of the most desirable of any collection. You may have sharedc it elsewhere but I'd love to know more about your history with Ross.

Paul

Post 25 May 2014, 18:40 • #27 
Guide
Paul, I met Ross at one of the Ed Rice international sportsmans shows in the late'70's or early 80's. I was demonstrating rod building for Lamiglas and Ross came by and really liked my rods and we worked out a trade, rods for reels. The one I made for his wife I turned an African Pink Ivory wood insert for the reel seat. I made a couple for him with burled walnut and vermillion if I remember correctly. A great guy and fantastic reels.

Post 08 Jul 2014, 09:43 • #28 
Master Guide
Guys Have anyone actually handle or fish one of these reels? Feathered Craft is running $20-60 off orders today only. An Gunnison 1 for Kenney 8'1" 3 wght at discounted $220 is cray deal.

Post 10 Jul 2014, 19:04 • #29 
Glass Fanatic
I just got mine today.

Very nice, smooth. It seems like a new Gunnison. It did seem quieter than I remembered, but I will have to go down and check my others. It's probably just my hearing that going.

Post 10 Jul 2014, 19:54 • #30 
Glass Fanatic
I handled one of these yesterday at Feather-Craft and was very impressed. I don't know how they compare to the original however.

Post 10 Jul 2014, 22:10 • #31 
Glass Fanatic
It looks like a post98 gunnison. I don't have another post98 at hand, but the Pre-98 that I have is noisier, but that could just be the brown clicker. (the clickers are slightly different on pre and post 98 reels.

I was a bit worried that the Colorado flag was going to stand out, but it doesn't when you are handling the reel. I'm happy with mine.

My only complaint is that it need to be broken in a bit.

Post 13 Jul 2014, 07:25 • #32 
Master Guide
bulldog1935 wrote:
I sold mine a couple of years ago because I wasn't fishing it, and someone should be.
With it, they bought the karma of literally 1000 fish to hand, even the bycatch of sockeye salmon when fishing for Alaskan rainbows and dollies.

So, how did that "bycatch" taste????

Post 13 Jul 2014, 15:14 • #33 
Guide
After eating a fresh sockeye, you would throw rocks at Dollies!!

Post 15 Jul 2014, 06:04 • #34 
Glass Fanatic
I threw my Gunnison 2 and a loaded spool away back in the mid-90's. I was tossing out a couple bags of trash from the truck bed. Didn't realize what I had done until after the garbage man came and left on Monday morning.

Post 15 Jul 2014, 19:03 • #35 
Glass Fanatic
Scud dog, that story makes me cry. Of course what it was doing in a bag of trash in the back of your truck is another story.

Post 17 Jul 2014, 06:27 • #36 
Glass Fanatic
I use to haul my reels in a plastic shopping bag. Same kind of bag the trash would go into. I tossed multiple bags at that time.
First thing I purchased after that episode was a reel caddy. As luck would have it, the Gander Mountain had them in their tent sale. Only $10. Fits six.Olive colored.That didn't soften the blow much but I still use the tote and it's been a great purchase.

Post 18 Aug 2014, 14:49 • #37 
Master Guide
Pickup my new 2 Gunnison and I am normally all more functional in reels selection this is flat out attractive and "feels" like a tank in construction . Changing LHR to RHR was piece of cake and spool is hour glass shape . Certainly there is better term to describe it maybe concave in centre area. I love my Hardy Lightweight series and JAustin Forbes Aerials but this reel will just look good on glass and boo. Anxious to see if foot thickness works where new Hardys will not . Best $260 spent on gear .

Post 14 Jul 2017, 08:58 • #38 
Glass Fanatic
carlz wrote:
It looks like a post98 gunnison. I don't have another post98 at hand, but the Pre-98 that I have is noisier, but that could just be the brown clicker. (the clickers are slightly different on pre and post 98 reels. I was a bit worried that the Colorado flag was going to stand out, but it doesn't when you are handling the reel.

Just picked up a new Heritage G3 (apparently the only size still available) on a deep discount and so thought I'd bump this old thread with some thoughts.

To get my bias out of the way up front, I have far too many reels and the Gunnison probably is my all-time favorite. It's by no means the prettiest or flashiest, but I do love the rugged looks and how solid it feels. Just a total workhorse. So suffice it to say that I'm a big Gunnison fan.

I generally prefer originals over sequels, but I think Ross did a very fine job with this limited run of one of its most iconic reels. The Heritage is a slightly updated version of the post 98 model.

Looks: I personally prefer the look of the pre-94 and pre-98 Gunnisons--those each have the six large holes in the frame--especially the ones with the matte finish (maybe on the pre-94s only), but the Heritage modeled after the post-98s with the numerous smaller holes still looks great. And not that I think it really matters, but I agree with carlz that the flag insignia isn't that noticeable when you hold the reel in your hand, and certainly not when fishing.

Sound: I don't have a post-98 at the moment, but the incoming click/sound is significantly more muted than my pre-98s (both black and brown clickers). If you like reels with a silent retrieve then this one isn't for you, but if it was the level of noise of the original Gunnisons that bothered you then you may be OK with the Heritage.

Weight: The spec sheet for the Heritage models says the G3 should weigh 5.5 oz, and mine weighs 5.4 oz. The Ross website doesn't list the weights for the post-98s, but a pre-98 G3 apparently weighed 5.1 oz. Not that three- or fourth-tenths of an ounce is going to make a huge difference (and perhaps isn't noticeable at all), but I like that they've made the reel a bit heavier. So many of the modern reels, in my view at least, are too light for the intended rod pairing, in many cases even with graphite rods.

Finishing/Function/Performance: I am able to rock/move the spool some, but I don't notice any wobble when winding (I have not yet lined the reel). One thing I like about so many Ross reels is how you can spin the spool for rapid line pickup. This one does that great, perhaps even better than my original G2s. The drag strength is more than you'll ever need for a trout.

Extra Spools: This may have been mentioned by someone above, but post-98 spools will fit on the Heritage models.

Bottom line, I'm really pleased with the reel. If looking for another Gunnison, I'd be just as happy with this sequel as the originals, especially if I could find one of the Heritage models in new condition (though I think they're probably quiet scarce at this point).

Post 15 Jul 2017, 16:50 • #39 
Master Guide
Big Gunnison fan here. All of mine are pre-98's with a couple pre-94's (my first Gunnisons). As someone wiser than me said, "it has everything you need, and nothing you don't." I know some folks don't like the clicker, but who notices when a good fish is on? If they get dropped in the mud, it's a simple matter to pull the spool off and rinse it out in the stream as the important metal parts are rustproof and sealed.

Don't leave one on the back bumper of your truck. I lost one several years ago that way, and if I should stumble across it in the grass at the side of the road and it has not been run over, I suspect a little cleaning would make it right. The line would probably be shot though.

BB

Post 15 Jul 2017, 17:57 • #40 
Glass Fanatic
WNC,

How deep a discount :)

I have 4 favorite reels, but if I could pick one family reel for all my 7wt or below fishing, it would be a Gunnison.

Maryat (because you can completely remove the clicker for silent operation, ... and they look purdy)
Gunnison, because it is the most functional, easy to care for modern,classic reel
Medalist, because it is the most functional, easy to care for vintage reel.
Able big game. Because while a bit heavy, they are really indestructible. If you ran over one, it would probably still work.

Previous  1, 2 New Topic Add Reply