It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 04:10

New Topic Add Reply
Gear for Hardy "Clone"
Post 15 Dec 2011, 17:03 • #1 
Glass Fanatic
A Garcia GK-44 showed up sans gear—a first—and I didn't know the gears are detachable.

What is mechanism for attachment? Is just compression/friction-fit? If so, a gear can be safely pried up off one spool and tapped down on another?

Popping the hoods on and eyballing a few Olympic/Seikos, it appears the gear/dimensions are the same across the Berkley 540, Garcias GK-42 and -44, and Heddons 310 and 320.

Post 15 Dec 2011, 17:43 • #2 
Piscator
I've seen spools for the correct model on these not fit the right reel, so their tolerances on these did drift.
I would still try another intact spool first.
Swapping the gear doesn't look easy. If you get it pressed on you will have to peen the bushing to keep the gear from slipping.
You also may have to drill out the sacrificial bushing to get the gear off.

Any chance you can just return it?

Post 15 Dec 2011, 21:47 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
Sometimes these reels are pulled for parts, yet not labeled as a "parts reel". I agree with Ron might be best to contact seller for return.

Les

Post 18 Dec 2011, 06:02 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
Quote:
Any chance you can just return it?

Yes.

Too bad, though: box, papers, paint. . . it was tight truck without a transmission.

Post 19 Dec 2011, 13:00 • #5 
Guide
The Hardy Clones are fun to use and collect. Be aware, though, as Bulldog notes, that tolerances change. This is because firms like Seiko, Olympic, Berkley, Heddon, etc., changed _their own_ suppliers within the existing model lines over the years that they offered these highly useful and utilitarian reels.

I have, for example, early and late examples of the Berkley 530, 540, and 550 (featherweight, lightweight, and princess clones) reels. The spools are _not_ interchangeable because you can tell that the suppliers to Berkley of these reels changed between the early (1960s) and late (1970s) versions of the same reels. Both sets of reels work nicely, mind you. (Also, the springs and pawls can be replaced with Hardy items.)

A quick identifier between the early and late series is that the early ones say assembled in the US from parts made in Japan on the reel foot. The late reels say simply Japan on the reel foot.

The early and late Heddons (I have those, too) also have the same distinguishing feature on the reel foot. The Heddon equivalent numbers are, of course, 300, 310, and 320.

Post 24 Nov 2017, 08:41 • #6 
Piscator
I'm going to add to this old post that All these reels were made by Olympic/Seiko, not varied suppliers, and which eventually became Daiwa.
They changed their dimensions and tolerances over the years - they were made for decades.
The 21st century Daiwa Lochmor is the last and best of all these.

Post 25 Nov 2017, 21:30 • #7 
Glass Fanatic
I had one of the Daiwa Lochmor "S" series reels when they first came out and was extremely disappointed when after a short while, the spindle loosened and became very wobbly. However, I had a Lochmor X-100 reel that was as nice as any Hardy I have seen. Unfortunately that one was stolen along with several other reels. I have a Lochmor X-300, but it is heavier than I usually use, so it hasn't been used yet.

Larry

Post 26 Nov 2017, 19:16 • #8 
Guide
bulldog1935 wrote:
The 21st century Daiwa Lochmor is the last and best of all these.

Really? I bought one out of curiosity and was so disappointed I considered giving it to my kids. It does seem to be put together ok, but the quality doesn't seem to be there from the reels of years past. I may end up just stripping mine and giving it a decent finish.

New Topic Add Reply