It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 17:15

New Topic Add Reply
SA System Reels
Post 03 Aug 2011, 12:59 • #1 
Glass Fanatic
Were there two versions of the Hardy-made SA System reels? I've seen the one that is an exact Marquis copy, then I saw another SA System reel that looks, from the front, like the Marquis (with palming rim spool) but the check work looks (from the outside) like the Viscount. What gives?

SA System Reels
Post 03 Aug 2011, 13:30 • #2 
Master Guide
Yes, there are two versions. Love the Marquis version, never owned the other.

SA System Reels
Post 03 Aug 2011, 13:50 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
thanks, that explains it. i have a Hardy Marquis 7 -- a great reel. is anyone familiar with the 'other' version of the Hardy/ SA System reel?

SA System Reels
Post 04 Aug 2011, 01:23 • #4 
Piscator
I have never fished one, but a few people have asked me before if there is a way to replace the plastic springs, so I believe they must take a set (soften) with age.
The dual click-pawl Marquis will be supported by Hardy parts indefinitely.

SA System Reels
Post 04 Aug 2011, 03:47 • #5 
Master Guide
The other version with the O-spring was the Hardy Viscount. The model was also one of many iterations of the Orvis Battenkill.

Below the Scientific Anglers 130

Last edited by Anonymous on 04 Aug 2011, 03:50, edited 1 time in total.

SA System Reels
Post 04 Aug 2011, 10:15 • #6 
Glass Fanatic
Nice pics guys ... thanks for posting. You know, I've always preferred full cage reels, but have shied away from the Viscount. It's a great looking reel, a classic design, but the drag configuration has always put me off. Can anyone who has owned/fished one comment?

Last edited by picketpin52 on 04 Aug 2011, 10:18, edited 1 time in total.

SA System Reels
Post 04 Aug 2011, 10:19 • #7 
Master Guide
I've owned a SA System 6 Hardy reel for more years than I care to remember.
It's a keeper and has one of the sweetest clicks you'll ever hear.

Wasn't aware the springs are plastic?

It's one of a couple handfuls of reels I'll always keep.
The zippered cases are also topnotch!

I've also owned a couple of Hardy Viscounts.
I was far less than enamored with them. They look and feel cheap to me. Guess they were when it comes to Hardy.

SA System Reels
Post 04 Aug 2011, 10:58 • #8 
Glass Fanatic
I don't know about the SA System Reels, or the Hardy Viscount, but my Hardy Marquis #7 does not have plastic springs, and it is a thing of beauty to behold, both at rest and and at work. Sigh ... even though it's not a caged reel, it is a favorite of mine.

SA System Reels
Post 04 Aug 2011, 14:28 • #9 
Glass Fanatic
I have the viscount and SA equivalent and the spring is easy to replace and they can be found. I don't have a Marquis variety, but the Viscount is an OK reel, but it isn't as good as some of the Hardy princess clones.

Carl

SA System Reels
Post 04 Aug 2011, 14:36 • #10 
Glass Fanatic
Hello Carl, thanks for the honest assessment.

SA System Reels
Post 04 Aug 2011, 15:42 • #11 
Master Guide
Actually, I believe the springs are metal encased in plastic. You can adjust them by squeezing to increase or decrease pressure (making them more oblong than circular). Affordable, they are still a nice reel IMO.

SA System Reels
Post 05 Aug 2011, 03:32 • #12 
Glass Fanatic
I have the SA 150 model. I've been using it for over 25 years and have not experienced any problems or failures due to the reel. At first, I too was put off by the drag system, But as i said it has not failed me. It delivers more than I would have expected on the "pay", but I don't depend on the reel drag to control the fish. I have been using it for Steelhead/Salmon fishing on 9' - 9.5', 9/10wt rods. It has also preformed well fishing for Stripers in lakes. I have rigged it with shooting head systems and currently use full weight forwards and a 9wt DT on the reel. I'm with Frank and think these are very nice reels, just under appreciated. Respectfully rvreclus

SA System Reels
Post 05 Aug 2011, 08:48 • #13 
Glass Fanatic
Thanks Rev. That's a "thumbs up"!

SA System Reels
Post 05 Aug 2011, 10:06 • #14 
Master Guide
Just for the sake of this thread, I'm not positive but I believe the same design was also sold as a Marquis for a year or two. Some other members might know better.

SA System Reels
Post 05 Aug 2011, 14:43 • #15 
Glass Fanatic
When watching for Hardy SA reels on ebay, I now look for the number of rivets on the back. I am not negative to the reel, but it is nice to know what you are getting.

SA System Reels
Post 05 Aug 2011, 15:26 • #16 
Glass Fanatic
Yes, that's the clue. Single rivet, in line with the drag adjustment and spindle casing, will tell you it's the circular spring and ratchet a la Viscount.

SA System Reels
Post 05 Aug 2011, 15:32 • #17 
Sport
The Viscount 140 spool fits the Marquis 8/9 ... not sure about other Viscounts just the ones I own ... great reels

SA System Reels
Post 06 Aug 2011, 17:34 • #18 
Administrator
Yes, the circular spring reel only has one rivet. In addition the engraving is sideways on the reel compared to the standard click/pawl drag arrangement. The circular spring setup makes the reel about 3/8 of an ounce lighter.

Tom

SA System Reels
Post 07 Aug 2011, 09:46 • #19 
Glass Fanatic
Tom,
which is a nicer reel? I don't dislike the viscount but I don't think it is something to write home about.

SA System Reels
Post 07 Aug 2011, 12:03 • #20 
Administrator
Keep in mind these reels are 35-40 years old. At this point "nicer" depends on how much abuse a particular reel has survived. Some reels were treated well and will fish nicely for another 35-40 years. Some were thrashed beyond repair. If the condition is similar, both reels should fish basically the same. If you just can't abide that circular spring, watch for the dual pawl reel. I see more of the dual pawl reels in good shape and the price tends to be higher.

The reel on the left of the photo is in very nice condition and fishes just fine. The reel on the right can only be described as "lucky". I received it with a rod purchase and expected to use it for parts. The line guide was broken, the paint was quite chipped and worn, and the lubricant was so nasty the spool barely turned. I didn't expect much, but I gave the reel the full bulldog anyway. The results were miraculous. The spool spins freely and the drag pawl is so perfectly worn it purrs like a sleepy kitten. If I had to sell either reel, I would sell the one on the left. It's bad karma to sell that much mojo.

Tom

SA System Reels
Post 07 Aug 2011, 23:28 • #21 
Glass Fanatic
Just won a Hardy Viscount 130 on ebay; appears to be in decent condition; will post pictures when it arrives. who knows what rod I'll use it on, it was too good a deal to pass up -- $42 including shipping.

SA System Reels
Post 16 Aug 2011, 12:20 • #22 
Glass Fanatic
Picked up a hardy viscount 130 for $42 on the 'bay' and it arrived today from the UK. It's got some honest rim rash and needs a good cleaning but is in fine mechanical condition. Really smooth, quiet, with a wide range of adjustment to the drag. I like it. ImageImageImage

New Topic Add Reply