It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 12:05

Previous  1, 2 New Topic Add Reply
Post 22 Aug 2007, 13:00 • #26 
Glass Fanatic
yea think I remember reading somewhere that the CMR series was not made in Japan either, made in Sweden or Korea or both. I looked at a couple of them in ebay, different numbering cycle too, something like 5.6 or something like that.

Post 23 Aug 2007, 05:24 • #27 
Guide
A bit of Colorado lore: The Marryats were, evidently, originally produced by a small precision machining company in Commerce City (northeast extension of Denver), Colorado. At that time only available in black--no gold or bronze. I believe that George Gehrke, of "Gink" fame, was instrumental in getting these reels off the ground.

Post 23 Aug 2007, 11:03 • #28 
Glass Fanatic
You are absolutely right Laramie,

George Gehrke was the original developer of the reel, if you look back at the first page of this thread you will see a link titled reel it goes to a 9wt George Gehrke that was listed at the same time as a pair of 9A's which I did get and alot of other Marryat extra's. I sort of kick myself for not getting it, I could have easily it went for a soft song, but that week was just one of those that happens on ebay, I think there were perhaps a dozen auctions I was actively bidding on and it was already looking like it would have to hit the piggy bank if all came in winners.
Check the eBay link listed above, clearly Gehrke was an artist in producing his early reel.
Richard

Post 24 Aug 2007, 03:33 • #29 
Guide
Thanks, Richard. What I really ought to do is take a quick pilgrimage down to that machining company and see if they still have any Marryat stuff left. It's not far from where I am--probably less than an hour. However, it's life threatening on I-25.

Post 19 Oct 2007, 12:27 • #30 
Glass Fanatic
Hi Laramie,
Did you ever get down to the old shop and find anything? I managed to pickup a nice clean 8A from a board member here, and lost an equally nice 7A on ebay, seems the Marryats are being re-discovered, the prices have been going up steadily sense I have been watching. I still need the little 7A for some really light short rods I have that fish 4-5wts. Anyway this is my current battery of Marryat's I seem to grab them all the time now, no matter which rods I take. I have a little padded camera bag I keep all four in along with some spare lined spools. I can drag out my 9ft rods or even my 6 1/2ft ones and these guys can do it all.

I see they have alot of new name sakes out of Europe, however Ive heard around that they are not nearly the reel the older Japanese models like these are.
Richard

Post 29 Oct 2017, 12:28 • #31 
Sport
And where make Marryat fly reel ? In Swiss or Korea ?

Post 29 Oct 2017, 13:22 • #32 
Glass Fanatic
Marryats were made in Japan after they left the USA.I don't know if they make them anymore.

Post 29 Oct 2017, 13:52 • #33 
Glass Fanatic
This is a 10 year old thread that bounced to the top :)

The MR series are made in Japan. The newer CMR series is made in Switzerland. I really like the MR series reels. They are light and can be converted to run silent. They have their drawbacks as Bulldog pointed out in one of the old threads. Don't user standard reel oil on them, but heavier oil (like SAE 30 motor oil). The MR reels are no longer produced, and I'm not sure how available the CMR reels are, though they are probably available from Japan.

Carl

Post 29 Oct 2017, 17:40 • #34 
Glass Fanatic
I miss reading Richard's posts, aka flyfishing4goldentrout. I had a few Marryats. Beautiful reels but impractical due to their fragility. It didn't take much to get those MRs to go awry. The newer CMR are/were far more solid but they're not anything special. Smith of Japan made the MRs and the CMR were made in Switzerland. If they made the MRs in aircraft aluminum, they'd still be in demand.

Post 30 Oct 2017, 07:31 • #35 
Piscator
Bill Archuleta's grandfather was the service rep for Marryat, and younger Bill rebuilds them today.
Mine from 1980 has caught thousands of fish and the roll-bearing clutch has been rebuilt twice, by each of the Archuletas.
In the original day of Austin Angler, on the second floor above the Alfa dealer, they had a street-level window display, and the Marryat MR anodized magnesium reels were the nicest jewelry there.

Post 11 Nov 2017, 04:42 • #36 
Glass Fanatic
scud dog wrote:
I miss reading Richard's posts, aka flyfishing4goldentrout.

Me too! I always enjoyed his lengthy and informative posts.

We were going to meet up to camp and fish in Oregon several years ago, but sadly it never panned out.

I hate loosing track of good people.

Post 11 Nov 2017, 07:23 • #37 
Glass Fanatic
I love seeming old threads resurrected. A great way to continue fantastic knowledge by great folks from this forum.

Post 11 Nov 2017, 10:38 • #38 
I took a MR 8 and two extra spools, loaded with sinking tip lines, to AK in the mid 80's and they held up extremely well. I really was impressed with the drag system, catching boos to 9 lbs, I recently picked up a CMR, swiss made, from a forum member and will be trying it out in the spring. Gotta love those Marryats. kzoo

Post 13 Jan 2018, 20:37 • #39 
Sport
Hi Guys, The company that made the original reels for Gehrke was Sanco. It was owned by the Santorno family as of the mid '90s'. Their engineer, 'Bill' designed them. They were a fly fishing family. I did parts pick up and delivery to them basically every day for several years. They told the story that Gehrke didn't like the anodizing color that Sanco had an anodizer apply, so he pulled the job and sent it to Japan. Then, he didn't like the Japanese anodizing, so he brought it back, and then..... Back to Japan..... And yes, Tony Santorno, the patriarch, liked to do assembly on the reels and had a stack of parts under an eight foot workbench. Better get to Denver and figure this all out! Their QA guy was a jazzhead and volunteered at KUVO, Denver's jazz station. He passed away not long ago... It was a great place to go to..

Jay Edwards

Post 11 Jun 2018, 12:01 • #40 
Glass Fanatic
Anybody heard of a Gehrke's ROSS reel ? item 151 in the Spring 1984 Marty Keane's catalog refers to this reel... he says it is built like a CFO.

Those Marryats are far from a CFO... even the disk drag... any ideas ?

Post 24 Jun 2018, 21:46 • #41 
Glass Fanatic
I still cannot figure out why these fine reels fell out of favor with anglers ?

Pecos

Post 25 Jun 2018, 04:29 • #42 
Glass Fanatic
pecosjuan wrote:
I still cannot figure out why these fine reels fell out of favor with anglers ?

Pecos

I heard some didn't care for them because of the fragile anodization that was prone to scratching and damage... Though I can think of a myriad of reels that are popular that had similar issues.

Post 25 Jun 2018, 04:40 • #43 
Piscator
It doesn't have the big top-end stopping power of disc drags.
The magnesium spool edge is easily bent by clutzing.
The roller bearing clutch has a finite life and is prone to seizing.

It will always remain the eye candy fly reel of the late 70s, early 80s.
Mine has fished all over and raised two girls on the river.

Post 22 Apr 2019, 17:23 • #44 
Hello good afternoon, I wanted to ask anyone who owns the manual of the MR7 or similar Reel as well as pieces because my son who fishes with his right hand wanted to change his hand and ended up doing anything and sl wanting to put it together I see that there is something that is well or probably lost a piece and I can not find my manual so I ask whoever has it if you can mail me using the email button at the lower left of the frame or by this same site.
Many thanks
Best
Diego

Last edited by whrlpool on 22 Apr 2019, 17:23, edited 1 time in total.
please do not post e-mail addy; PM and email buttons enable personal contact, but for security, never post personal details on the forum

Post 22 Apr 2019, 17:55 • #45 
Piscator
http://www.archuletasreelworks.com/
Bill Archuleta is the service guy for these reels, as his grandfather was before him.

Post 22 Apr 2019, 21:07 • #46 
Glass Fanatic
The manual is just a single piece of paper. At least the one's I have (from Japan).

Getting it back together is a bit of a puzzle. If you look at it long enough you can probably figure it out.

As I recall, you have to flip those springs/clips around and get the rollers to seat in the right place. Then you have to get the cover to snap back on, which holds the pieces in the right spot.
There are three clips and three rollers (If I recall correctly)

you should be able to see all the photos in this album here.
pb-image ... t/cleaning

It was more for my benefit than for presentation, but it might help you out.

Post 24 Apr 2019, 15:05 • #47 
Glass Fanatic
Carl great pictures,whats the weight on the smallest reel ?........thanks Aurelio

Post 25 Apr 2019, 16:50 • #48 
Glass Fanatic
I will have to check, I have an MR7 (7cm) boxed on the shelf but I have to find my scale. It isn't as light as the MG255

Post 26 Apr 2019, 09:56 • #49 
Glass Fanatic
Thanks Carl.........Aurelio

Previous  1, 2 New Topic Add Reply