It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 04:28

Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 24  Next New Topic Add Reply
Click-Pawl Reels
Post 16 Jun 2006, 12:56 • #51 
Glass Fanatic
Bulldog--I figured you probably worked on those Young Springs to get them right.

I saw a French Multi of some type at Lancaster fishing show this spring, but don't think was this one. Have to keep eyes open for this.

Tough finds for me were the Featherweight and Marquis size 4. Finally found used Featherweight and two of the Marquis 4's. Darn 4's are mint though and I just can't bring myself to scuff them up. Have two complete Marquis sets and may sell one to buy some other can't live without rods.

Thought I would pick up set of CFO's, but have only found size IV and not even heard of othere two sizes for long time--but have been off computer, so if I ever get a real life again I can resume the search.

That French reel is great. If I find two of them cheap I'll keep you in mind.--Barry

Click-Pawl Reels
Post 30 Jun 2006, 03:58 • #52 
Great topic!

I'm new to multipliers although not to click-pawl reels. I just bought a Marquis #6 Multiplier with 2 extra spools from Marty Keene's latest catalog hoping that its (presumed) extra weight might do a better job of balancing some of my cane rods. In fact I was surprised that the multiplier didn't seem to be any heavier than my regular click-pawl Marquis. I do like the quicker line pickup, especially when fishing stillwater.

CC

Click-Pawl Reels
Post 02 Jul 2006, 05:58 • #53 
Glass Fanatic
The Hardy Multipliers are not much heavier at all then their single action brothers. I fish 8 1/2' Orvis Battenkills good bit and have to use the 8/9 Marquis Multi or Zenith to balance the rod where I like it.

Now if you want some weight, get into those Martins. They may be worth more for their weight as scrap metal then what they cost as fishing reels. I also think they pick line up at 3:1 ratio as compared to only about 1:1.7 for the Hardy reels. Cerainly worth trying if looking for heavier reel.

One more problem with Hardy Multies is that is possible to hit release on Multiplier unit during heat of fight and have reel come apart during fight. Not a great feature, but it is what it is and either they work for you or they don't. Something to consider before spending the bucks though.

I guess if I wanted something that worked right every time and cast real pretty I would be playing with Winston Rods and Abel reels.

Barry

Click-Pawl Reels
Post 13 Jul 2006, 05:53 • #54 
Piscator
Here's a potential great buy in a Martin MG-10 click-pawl multiplier.
cgi.ebay.com/ws/ebayISAPI ... 0005915908
It's about $11 to ship it across the pond.

Click-Pawl Reels
Post 13 Jul 2006, 09:51 • #55 
Glass Fanatic
Bulldog, That's a neat reel at a sweet price you've posted!
Grass ... You've stated you like Abels? Is that the click-pawl variety? I never fished one, though I know the drag is definitely different from the Young and Hardy set-up. I was wondering what you all think the best ever click-pawl is. Hardy? Orvis? Abel? Islander? ...

Click-Pawl Reels
Post 13 Jul 2006, 17:48 • #56 
Glass Fanatic
I have never owned an Abel, only played around with some on friends rods. The thing I've noticed is tight tolerances on machine work and friends who use them swear by them for trout on light tippets.

I can't even guess which is best. I like Hardy Reels, but can't say their better then anything else. I know I enjoy fishing them more then any of my other reels, but don't know why.

I've played around with Peerless, Adams , CFO's, Battenkills, and seems like dozens of others and Hardy Multies are what I
like to use.

The Robert Frost of the South (Larry the Cable Guy) says it best to sum up Hardy Multies for me. They just get her done.

Hardys make to much noise, they don't overun for me, pick up line quick, look damn good, cost way to much, poor in Saltwater, finish wears off with use, makes right side of my brain feel good, no great logical reason---but whats nice about reel choice is the same thing I love about fly fishing, bamboo and glass--if I'm wrong it really just doesn't matter.

Barry

Click-Pawl Reels
Post 14 Jul 2006, 01:32 • #57 
Piscator
I stated mine above. Shakespeare's pawl design blows everybody else's away.

as far as the light tippet thing, Orvis (BFR's) click-pawl works delicately.

favorite sound is the Young st. george clone (look up the page)

Click-Pawl Reels
Post 16 Aug 2006, 01:05 • #58 
Piscator
Wanted to show this reel, it's the Martin M 68 caliper drag multiplier. It has a One Pfoot on it (and I also have the original steel foot). Even though this reel is lined, its never been fished - I changed my mind and fished an MM-11.

Click-Pawl Reels
Post 21 Aug 2006, 01:32 • #59 
Piscator
This is the Norris Shakespeare Fish Hawk. In essence, it's a multiplying perfect, with a winding plate and exposed spool back. It appears in the 1968 Norris Shakespeare Allcock Angler's guide (a lot of fingers in this one).
It was also sold as the Orvis Battenkill multiplier.
Made by JW Young.
Yes, it's not pretty, but it's as fun to tinker with as any reel I've ever had my hands on. 2.5:1 multiplier. The knob on the back is an adjustible clutch, which gives you a variable anti-reverse.
It had a mis-shapen Young pawl spring in place when I received the reel, and it didn't work at all. The spring in there now works great - I made it from a piece of Inconel 718 piano wire - don't have to worry about this spring ever creeping.

Click-Pawl Reels
Post 07 Sep 2006, 14:14 • #60 
Piscator
I picked up a Martin LM-45 on ebay.

Machined frame and spool, with the old style helical spring Martin drag.

What a delightful reel.

If you see reels in this series guys, GRAB THEM!

Click-Pawl Reels
Post 07 Sep 2006, 16:18 • #61 
Administrator
At first glance, the LM-45 looks like the Browning Strata MZ34. The Browning comes in a similar tall box with a felt cloth bag. The interior photo below shows a click drag mechanism similar to the MM-11 you posted earlier in the thread. The Browning actually weighs 3.90 oz., has a 3 1/8" diameter spool, and holds a DT-5 with a little bit of backing.

Is there a family resemblance?

Tom

Click-Pawl Reels
Post 08 Sep 2006, 08:49 • #62 
Piscator
that's it, Tom - it's the same reel.

Brought mine home for $38, thought it was a great deal.

speaking of which, the seller has a 7/8 same deal:

good buy even with the nutso shipping

Click-Pawl Reels
Post 12 Sep 2006, 14:22 • #63 
Glass Fanatic
I got on the subject of multipliers and forgot to mention one of my favorites. Back in the mid 1990's Hardy made a series called Silver Guides for LL Beans. These were very similar to Marquis, except have better finish then Marquis.

Click-Pawl Reels
Post 29 Sep 2006, 15:41 • #64 
Glass Fanatic
I have a couple Ross Colorado in the 5 wt. Then there is that J. Austin Forbes Magnesium on my 1 wt SLT. Also I enjoy the Daiwa 700 series. My favorite is the Lord Webber and I use it on my Fenwick Streamer 5 wt. I have not seen to many of them. When I figure how to use the camera I will post a picture.
btw I have 3 fiberglass rods.

Click-Pawl Reels
Post 29 Sep 2006, 16:37 • #65 
Glass Fanatic
Lord Webber? The reel is a Lord Weldon. Really nice cage type real in a deep shiny green.

Click-Pawl Reels
Post 14 Oct 2006, 09:30 • #66 
Glass Fanatic
i have been aquiring some forbes reels. these are very nice and work well on lighter rods. very smooth click pawl reels.

Click-Pawl Reels
Post 14 Oct 2006, 12:10 • #67 
Piscator
yes they are.
this is a 3" Aerial.
also have a 2-1/2" Sandstone.
JAF is a US venture. They bought parts from JW Young and assembled the reels here. Since these reels are still being assembled from the parts inventory, they are effectively the last fly reels made by JW Young (but after they closed shop in 2002).

Click-Pawl Reels
Post 14 Oct 2006, 12:19 • #68 
Piscator
and this is one of the very last marked Young fly reels.
Revolution, s/n 94 and dated with the last month the shop was open.
You should recognize the family resemblances between this reel and a JAF.
A really nice feature on this reel is the drag. There's an adjustible disc drag on a clutch, but it's also on a click-pawl. You can disengage whichever you choose, or use both.

this is a 3-3/4" L/A reel that I fish on a Fisher 7-wt.
Comparing it to a 1930s Aerial Poular, the styling on this reel is al dente.

needless to say, with my collecting bent, I was delighted to get this reel uncontested on eBay (not cheap, but for less than its worth). I'm also keeping my eyes open for the click-pawl, standard arbor Jubilee, but when these show up they bid away from me ...

Click-Pawl Reels
Post 14 Oct 2006, 14:30 • #69 
Glass Fanatic
i discovered that the 2 1/2 sandstone spool interchanges with the 2 1/2 inch avon spool. not that that is earthshaking or anything.

for salt i am using a disk drag tarpon reel and their 3 1/2" salmon steelhead. very smooth drags.

Click-Pawl Reels
Post 16 Oct 2006, 00:58 • #70 
Piscator
I noticed there's a Revolution closing in the nexty 2 hours on ebay. interested to see where this one goes.
cgi.ebay.com/ws/ebayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180036988397

Click-Pawl Reels
Post 16 Oct 2006, 10:40 • #71 
Guide
Hey Bulldog,
What kind of rod do you have in your photo -it's beautiful!

-Aaron

Click-Pawl Reels
Post 16 Oct 2006, 10:46 • #72 
Piscator
that is one of the custom-finished Fisher blanks from Russell - RifflingHitch.
It's the 7-pc. Ultimate combo. Makes 3-pc. 6' or 4-pc 8' rods in either 3/4 or 5/6.
All the combinations work very well, because the short rods have a parabolic taper, and the long rods a progressive taper.

Click-Pawl Reels
Post 15 Nov 2006, 04:41 • #73 
Piscator
ebay heads up. This looks like a good deal on a classic NIB fly reel and spare spool just right for longer (7-1/2'+) glass.

watch the shipping - don't bid it up ... but these are fine reels for 5wt to 7wt.

cgi.ebay.com/ws/ebayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220048623798

Click-Pawl Reels
Post 15 Nov 2006, 05:09 • #74 
Glass Fanatic
I was looking at that one last night. Looks nice.

Click-Pawl Reels
Post 16 Nov 2006, 16:10 • #75 
Glass Fanatic
Ditto. the M67A looks sweet.
I was talking to someone streamside that sells fly gear. I asked how the JAFs stacked up to Hardy. He preferred Hardy. Any comments? Are the drags smoother/stiffer?

Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 24  Next New Topic Add Reply