It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 06:58

Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24  Next New Topic Add Reply
Re: Click-Pawl Reels
Post 16 Dec 2015, 11:54 • #476 
Sport
Oops - no, I did NOT understand the old line weight designations correctly. GBG is a double-tapered 8 wt.

Post 19 Dec 2015, 13:19 • #477 
Sport
i know its weird but after all these yrs of juiced up carbon fiber delron magnetic disc drag reels from the planet vulcan ,,, i have gone back to a sytem 1 456 and 2 older white river gold click and pawl.... i think the fish got smaller and the lighter wt reels balance with these newer 3-4 wts having more fun again

Post 19 Dec 2015, 15:37 • #478 
Sport
Nothing at all weird about that.

Post 08 Jan 2016, 16:01 • #479 
Glass Fanatic
For lightweight (#2-3) fishing definitely the Orvis CFO 123.
For mid weight (#4) I like the CFO III and the Sage 504L.
For #5-6 the CFO IV is superb.

Yes I like Orvis CFO reels :)

Post 28 Jan 2016, 15:25 • #480 
Master Guide
All I fish these days. Always preferred a click pawl reel. I've got a few both old and modern:

New Orvis Battenkill II & III
Cortland Retro I & II
Heddon Daisy 320 x2 (Love these reels)
Berkley 510
SA System One 4/5/6
SA System One 6/7/8

Post 28 Jan 2016, 15:44 • #481 
Guide
ibookje, I like CFO reels too, but find them too light for anything glass but the shortest lengths. Do you add weight?

Post 28 Jan 2016, 22:39 • #482 
Glass Fanatic
zedlepp, I also love CFO reels - I add weight with lead tape you can find in golf stores - tape backed and added to the reel prior to attaching backing and/or line helps in balancing out rods 7 1/2 ' or less. An 8' rod is iffy with a CFO IV even with lead tape added but some rods are okay imho.

Click-Pawl Reels
Post 29 Jan 2016, 02:45 • #483 
Glass Fanatic
No don't add any weight. The glass rods I own are 8ft and shorter and none feels out of balance.

I also use them with my bamboo rods. A bit of tip heavy doesn't bother me.

Post 06 Feb 2016, 13:19 • #484 
Glass Fanatic
Acquired this a few months ago from a fine Gentleman on the Bamboo forum - it is my holy grail reel. I will fish it honorably as it deserves.

John 8)

Post 06 Feb 2016, 14:22 • #485 
Glass Fanatic
Deserved reverence for fine clicker reels

Post 01 Jun 2016, 10:54 • #486 
Master Guide
I picked up this guy off the evil auction site recently after not being quick enough on the draw in the classifieds here. It'll do duty for me as part of a setup for guiding clients.

It seems reasonably well made, and sounds similar to the Featherweight I used to have. The fact that it was cheap is a nice bonus.

Unlike the Korean made Featherweight that was once mine, this one seems to have some appreciable difference between the lowest and highest drag settings.

Post 01 Jun 2016, 11:40 • #487 
Glass Fanatic
Nice reel. Drag mechanism looks very robust and should have pretty wide range of adjustment as you note.

Post 01 Jun 2016, 12:04 • #488 
Glass Fanatic
I just sold the same reel on the classifieds here and the drag is stronger than a Hardy.Theyre a very nice reel for the price.

Post 01 Jun 2016, 21:04 • #489 
Master Guide
I would say favorites are the Kingpin 3.5 click pawl. It can handle a 8wt-10wt range with check range light check to a good resistance drag that can slow down a good size salmon or redfish. A close second would be the Islander IR4 and third is Abel Classic series.

Ultra

Post 01 Jun 2016, 22:44 • #490 
Glass Fanatic
I have the Lochmoor 300. The drag knob is different than Burkholder's. BTW, if that reel didn't read designed by Daiwa, the knob would give it away. Same knob as on the Daiwa 706/708 and SA System 1's.
Do any of you have a Shakespeare Worcestershire 2627? I just scored one. What a beautiful click pawl reel!

Post 02 Jun 2016, 06:42 • #491 
Glass Fanatic
That's a great reel. So are other Young variants (search the thread, "A Young By any other Name) with the Shakespeare name. As for the Daiwa above, I prefer a detent/stepped click adjustor rather than stepless screw adjustment) and consider the Daiwa-Seiko type, an enduring design, among the best ever, more robust yet equally subtle to various Hardy setups. Have been using the large-arbor variant of the lochmoor shown above as my main 6-weight reel in my early season fishing.

Post 15 Dec 2016, 09:09 • #492 
Guide
I have 3 Hardy reels (LRH, Marquis, Cascapedia), 2 of them are click drag. All are famous for loud drag noise.
Hardy LRH - very small one, for 2-3 wt rod. Not possible to palm due to full cage reel design.
Hardy Marquis. This I consider it best Hard reel from currently produced (I have previous model, made in Korea). It designed with palming in mind, with quite wide and polished spool rim. It's pleasure to play a big fish on it, I landed atlantic salmon and few big trout, it is very reliable and can withstand a lot of abuse. Also , sound is gorgeous.
My recent acquisition - ZYZ 3" . Going to order second one :-) price is bargain, and reel is very nice looking, especially on retro rod

Post 15 Dec 2016, 10:00 • #493 
Glass Fanatic
The LRH can be 'thumbed' by putting pressure on the back side of the spool when the fish takes off.

Post 20 Dec 2016, 00:11 • #494 
Sport
I haven't made it through close to 4 of the 20 pages here on click reels.
I ran across what they call a 2016 reel shoot out , never cared for that term .
It listed brake drags and click drag reels and I just can't imagine ever being able to afford over $500 on some of these reels no matter how nice they are and these are click type .

I like the New Sage click yet $300 WOW . They had the newest Pflueger Medalist listed and at it's price if you want something well more than good enough it would be my pick , provided I had the funds to even think about another fly reel. Just the last few days at night I've looked on-line and really had no idea at all that most even high end reels are made In Taiwan , China and around Asia.

When I started fly fishing the fellow in this shop picked up a South Bend cheapo Maroon colored reel , a cheap blue glass rod and a level cheapo line and said practice on your front lawn and if you get the hang of it and want to go with fly fishing. Since I was a bait caster and spin fisher this was a first. He said come back and for not a whole lot more money he showed me Medalists and Martins and some Hardy and of course much better rods and tapered lines.

To this day I know I'll never buy a reel new for more than a bit over $100 . I look at some of these large arbor reels and the frame/spool and wonder how the line does not get caught on some part. I see like the Sage click which looks real nice the pawl is plastic not a big deal yet the gear teeth are all around the inner edge of the frame side of the spool . It looks great because it's so simple yet wouldn't these pawl teeth grab the line or something?
I recall Loop had one of the first of this large arbor reels thought it was unique and it is.

I'm just amazed on just how much things have changed since I last even looked at reels .

Post 20 Dec 2016, 10:01 • #495 
Guide
If you get your hands on a Sage Click, or the older 3000-series, (similar design) at a price you can stomach, get it. I've used mine (3000-series) for many, many years. Very simplistic, tight tolerances, the pawl holds up fine and I have never once had the line or leader snag or weasel itself between the spool and reel. I have the original Loop model as well, a fine reel but it has not worn the years as well and it is prone to free-spooling a little.

Post 25 Dec 2016, 13:30 • #496 
Glass Fanatic
easternffer wrote:
I have 3 Hardy reels (LRH, Marquis, Cascapedia), 2 of them are click drag. All are famous for loud drag noise.
Hardy LRH - very small one, for 2-3 wt rod. Not possible to palm due to full cage reel design.
Hardy Marquis. This I consider it best Hard reel from currently produced (I have previous model, made in Korea). It designed with palming in mind, with quite wide and polished spool rim. It's pleasure to play a big fish on it, I landed atlantic salmon and few big trout, it is very reliable and can withstand a lot of abuse. Also , sound is gorgeous.
My recent acquisition - ZYZ 3" . Going to order second one :-) price is bargain, and reel is very nice looking, especially on retro rod

I have a 3" Zyz too (raised pillars model). I pulled back the spring for a LHW bias. It's a smooth and handsome reel. My only concern is landing a hot fish without breaking a finger. I used a finger on the line in the spool. It didn't break but I had a good size blister on it. I've hung leather off of it since then. What have you done to control large fish?

Re: Martin MG-3
Post 14 Jan 2017, 18:29 • #497 
Hi,

Any solutions for replacing spring on MG click-pawl arm? Will simple ballpoint pen spring work?

Thanks!

Post 14 Jan 2017, 18:53 • #498 
Glass Fanatic
I don't think so. The wire in the ballpoint pen spring is too heavy a gauge. You could try ereplacementparts.com they sell lots of reel parts. BTW, that MG3 uses the same spring used in all of the vintage Martin click pawl reels, so you might look for a parts reel on eBay.

Re: Martin MG-3
Post 28 Jan 2017, 19:36 • #499 
Glass Fanatic
tata415 wrote:
Hi,

Any solutions for replacing spring on MG click-pawl arm? Will simple ballpoint pen spring work?

Thanks!

If you have any well stocked hardware store nearby, you may find small springs there. I came across them in a lot of sizes. I got one to use as a material clip on my vise.
Blues90, I have the new Medalists in a 3/4 and 5/6. I agree, they are certainly a good value. Oh, add South Korea to your list of reel producing nations.

Post 24 May 2017, 06:40 • #500 
Sport
I've been moving most of my reels from Hardy to Islander as late. The Islander IR series click-pawls have some of the finest machining that I've ever used. I love the mystique of the vintage Hardy's but I prefer the functionality of the Islander.

Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24  Next New Topic Add Reply