It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 03:53

Forum Guide

These discussions MUST stay on the original topic.
Please be courteous and considerate.

Only Commercial Forum members and Staff may initiate discussions here - everyone may reply

1, 2, 3  Next New Topic Add Reply
Post 12 May 2018, 12:07 • #1 
Master Guide
Hi everyone,

I just received my first shipment of Garrison style reel seats. You can find the collection here:

https://www.proofflyfishing.com/collections/down-locking-reel-seats

Post 12 May 2018, 16:12 • #2 
Sport
Those are real nice! Are the given weights of the Atlas .5oz, Pocket .2oz, and Garrison style .5oz accurate? I want to build a really light glass 8’5wt and am looking around for components. Thanks. :)

Post 12 May 2018, 18:52 • #3 
Master Guide
Hi,
Thanks for the reply. The weights are correct for hardware sets. Depending on the insert the final weight will vary.

Post 12 May 2018, 19:19 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
These are very cool. A nice addition to your line up.

Post 14 May 2018, 08:18 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
Very good looking. Thanx!

Post 14 May 2018, 14:13 • #6 
Guide
I just have to wonder how much longer it will be until he ends up copying all of Joel Lemke's seats

Post 14 May 2018, 14:47 • #7 
Master Guide
Hi Ron,

Seems to me the signature characteristics of the Garrison seat were designed by Garrison. The large interrupted threads, pocket end cap, and check knurling.

Post 14 May 2018, 15:15 • #8 
Guide
Just gotta love morals, respect and greed

Post 14 May 2018, 16:44 • #9 
Master Guide
SWCR wrote:
Just gotta love morals, respect and greed

It appears to me that Joel Lemke's hardware was used as a sample to the Chinese for these reel seats to be copied, just like other models in Joel's lineup have already been. I don't have them all in hand to measure and compare... but from photos of these and photos of Joel's hardware... it's a copy for sure. It would be one thing to have similar traits with a little of your own styling... slightly different butt cap, knurling, accents, cork check, etc., but a copy is something different all together. I like hardware from maker's of the past too, but I do not measure and replicate exact copies of someone else's work. I go by a theme and come up with something that can be called my own.
I won't be using any Chinese made stuff on any rod that I build... ever!

Post 14 May 2018, 17:28 • #10 
Master Guide
Fred, thanks for your input. I fully respect and understand that you do not want to put any overseas components on your rods. As with most everything it is up to the customer to decide.

Post 14 May 2018, 20:49 • #11 
Glass Fanatic
I'm out of the loop on the surrounding implications of this thread, but I do like this style of reel seat with the large threads verses the fine thread style of most mas produced modern rods. I really like the finish on the silver reel.

Post 15 May 2018, 23:50 • #12 
Glass Fanatic
If you go to Ron's website you can see Joel Lemke's reel seats. Someone sent Joel's seats to China to be replicated and copied. The even use his colors including his Champagne color.

Bob

Post 16 May 2018, 12:27 • #13 
Master Guide
BobHa wrote:
If you go to Ron's website you can see Joel Lemke's reel seats. Someone sent Joel's seats to China to be replicated and copied. The even use his colors including his Champagne color.

Bob

Hey, China's losing too may jobs lately. We gotta help 'em somehow.

Post 16 May 2018, 19:45 • #14 
Guide
I just received a Proof Garrison seat. Very nice and I love the color of the Black Nickle which is more of a light bronze. No financial interest, just a satisfied customer.

Post 17 May 2018, 06:40 • #15 
Master Guide
I used a black lemke garrison seat, it was great too. No financial interest either, just a satisfied customer.

Post 17 May 2018, 08:51 • #16 
Guide
No financial interest here either other than hoping that my neighbors keep their jobs and intellectual property so they have money to buy the product and services from the company I work for.

Post 17 May 2018, 09:42 • #17 
Guide
Are you guys for real?

In my mind, Proof and Lemke are hitting entirely different market segments.

Is the Proof seat visually similar to the Lemke seat? Yes. Is it built to the same quality and with the same materials? No. Does Matt try to pass it off as being the equal of the Lemke seat? No. It's an economical reel seat that pair well with imported blanks. I can see some minor cosmetic changes that probably aid in reducing production cost, but at the end of the day it's a reel seat and there is only so much that can be changed. Bellinger offers a reel seat that is also visually similar, are you going to bash them? If you're building on a high-end blank you're probably going to use a Lemke seat, it matches the quality of the blank. However, if you're building on an imported blank it makes more sense (to me at least) to purchase some more economical hardware.

Eastern manufacturers are very good at replicating American designs because that's what the American market has taught them to do. And if anyone commenting on this thread has ever shopped at a big-box store you've lost your moral high ground because you're supporting the flow of cheap goods from China.

Ron, you were selling imported Ultra Glass rod blanks, can the folks at Mcfarland and Steffen chime in and start knocking you for not supporting an American made blank? It's a rod blank, made of fiberglass, with spigot ferrules, painted a different colour. Were you copying them? Or hitting a different market segment?

If you don't like it, don't buy it. There's no need to start making personal attacks.

Post 17 May 2018, 17:50 • #18 
Glass Fanatic
Tom that is not a comparison, Ron's blanks weren't Mike or Mark's tapers sent to China and replicated. These seats are Joel's seats copied. He owns a small shop who makes his living sell rod components. I am not saying the quality is the same but they even copy the color he anodizes. These seats might even start showing up on low end rods straight from China, so to distinguish himself Joel might have to buy or make more tolling to change his design, until it is copied.

Here is one of Joel's
Bob

Post 17 May 2018, 18:02 • #19 
Is it just me or are the two seat different? The threads on the Proof seat come almost all the way down to the grip check, but the threads on the Lemke one stop further down. Has anyone actually compared them side by side? This whole post seems to have gone off track. I'm with Tom S on this one.

Post 17 May 2018, 18:15 • #20 
Glass Fanatic
Wayne, It is the same. Here is another pic of a Lemke. Plus this is not the first of his seats copied

Bob

Post 17 May 2018, 18:16 • #21 
Glass Fanatic
Wayneo wrote:
Is it just me or are the two seat different? The threads on the Proof seat come almost all the way down to the grip check, but the threads on the Lemke one stop further down. Has anyone actually compared them side by side? This whole post seems to have gone off track. I'm with Tom S on this one.

This post is very much on track, if anyone is confused check out the Lemke LC1 vs the Atlas seat.

Post 17 May 2018, 18:26 • #22 
Guide
I originally wanted a Lemke Garrison seat in Bronze to replace a seat on a classic glass rod .I was told by the supplier that the Bronze color was Larry Kenny's proprietary color and was not available to a hack like me so I was glad to see Proof having one I could buy. Thanks Matt!

Post 17 May 2018, 18:46 • #23 
Guide
I do not know when or why you were called a hack, but if you were after a bronze garrison style seat, you still do not have one, as he does not even offer a bronze, and you previously stated it was supposed to be a black nickel. Very true the Bronze GS1 is a proprietary seat to Larry, much the same as some of the seats Shane and some others use that are not publically available.

Post 17 May 2018, 18:49 • #24 
Glass Fanatic
6footrod wrote:
I originally wanted a Lemke Garrison seat in Bronze to replace a seat on a classic glass rod .I was told by the supplier that the Bronze color was Larry Kenny's proprietary color and was not available to a hack like me so I was glad to see Proof having one I could buy. Thanks Matt!

Was a “hack like you” literally what the supplier said?

Post 17 May 2018, 18:54 • #25 
Glass Fanatic
This is one of Larry's I believe. The color of mine above and the one of Matt's is what Joel calls Champagne

1, 2, 3  Next New Topic Add Reply