It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 19:23

Forum Guide

These discussions MUST stay on the original topic.
Please be courteous and considerate.

Only Commercial Forum members and Staff may initiate discussions here - everyone may reply

Previous  1, 2, 3  Next New Topic Add Reply
Re: FH Paddock Fly Rods
Post 30 Apr 2016, 18:12 • #26 
Glass Fanatic
fred1369 wrote:
Yes, there's a four weight in the lineup... I haven't really talked about the 794-3 yet, but it's a real sweetheart.

I was fortunate enough to cast the lineup this weekend.
IMO the 794-3 is the best of the bunch!

they are all fantastic, and each with their own intended application and thus casting "feel". The 794 just really spoke to me, and also the 705.

the 6wt is great, but definitely does not deserve ALL of the praise!

they are like potato chips: you cant have just one.

Post 01 May 2016, 10:15 • #27 
Glass Fanatic
Corey I wonder where you heard the chip analogy :lol

I agree the whole line is spectacular. That 7'9 4wt is something special. But I will own the 6wt one if these days.

Bob

Post 01 May 2016, 10:28 • #28 
Glass Fanatic
Corey,

I'm sure all of Fred's new rods are great, the 6wt is a bit different, since (AFAIK) he hasn't had one before. The lighter weight rods have to compete against the butterscotch, lemondrop, ....

Post 01 May 2016, 12:36 • #29 
Glass Fanatic
carlz wrote:
the 6wt is a bit different, since (AFAIK) he hasn't had one before

FYI Fred made a 6wt as part of his Brown Series

Post 14 May 2016, 10:30 • #30 
Master Guide
Many of you know that I don't have a website, it's something that I intend to do... just haven't found time to finish it up. I'm planning to do something very simple, just need to get some things together.
Anyways, I do have rods available on Alternative Tackle's website. I have started to work with Mark at Alternative Tackle for my offerings. Having representation for the new series allows my focus to stay on track in the shop. My intent is to have Mark represent my work as much as possible, so if anyone is looking... check out the Alternative Tackle website [url]alternativetackle.com[/url]
There is a great selection of modern rods and reels on the website, it's not just limited to my work. Something to check out, if you haven't seen the website before.
I do plan to have available rods at events and gatherings that I attend, I'll always have demos around too. The few gatherings that I have attended has been great to getting feedback from. I want to thank all those who have cast the rods and have spread the word.

Post 26 Jun 2016, 14:05 • #31 
Glass Fanatic
I have a weakness for 7'9" 4 and 5 weights so I decided to have one of Fred's. The 794 is a wonderful rod with a fast taper, quite bit of power for a 4 wt (but I agree with the line rating), a strong butt and yet plenty of feel. It has the kind of backbone that you might expect from bamboo. It's easy to generate line speed and to cast tight loops with a compact casting stroke. This rod is undoubtedly very versatile for a 4wt and exceptionally fine. I'm sure it will get plenty of use.

There is one notable downside: it's so handsome that my wife wants it.

Post 03 Sep 2016, 19:25 • #32 
Sport
I just acquired Fred's 8' 5wt 3pc and couldn't be happier with it. Very smooth and almost effortlessly accurate out to 60' but also loads smoothly and is very accurate with only 10' feet of line out. I wish I could describe better just how pleasant it is to cast. The finish work is impeccable with a classy understated style.

I can't wait to fish it if the air and water temps will go down. That will probably be mid October in my area.

Thanks Fred!!

Post 04 Sep 2016, 09:26 • #33 
Master Guide
Fred's 8ft 5wt is a very smooth casting trout rod. I was able to spend some time fishing it this spring and really enjoyed it on the water. I fished it mostly with nymphs (and a little weight) because that was what the trout wanted and the tip was sensitive enough to let me know what was happening and strong enough to handle the double nymph and split shot with accuracy so I was 't just lobbing the flies upstream like I often do. It handled dry flies exceptionally well both in the air and on the water. I also tied on a Chernobyl ant with a beadbead dropper to see how the rod performed (that is my blind casting new water go to). Again the rod did what I wanted with very little effort on my part. I think that is one of the characteristics of Fred's new rod tapers. They are very easy to cast. I feel like I am on autopilot and don't think about the rod or cast. Felt the same way with his 705, 794 and 836. They cast themselves:) I do have his 836 and it has seen a lot of use. Water levels are too low and warm to fish for trout so I have been hitting the bass with my kayak and the 83 6wt. Hopefully this fall I will be swinging streamers for some large brown trout and Fred's 6wt will be the perfect rod for the day handling both streamers and small BWOs with ease.

Post 04 Sep 2016, 10:34 • #34 
Glass Fanatic
Any comparisons with other tapers? Steffen, epic, etc...

Post 04 Sep 2016, 12:24 • #35 
Glass Fanatic
I was able to cast Fred's 794-3 beside an Epic 480.
Fred's tip is much more delicate, and an overall softer (and smoother!) casting rod.

Unless you like to throw weighted junk with a 4wt,
I very much preferred Fred's for fishing a single dry fly.

Epic = more versitile
Paddock = sublime dry fly rod (but NOT a fast dry fly taper. much more complex than that)

Post 04 Sep 2016, 15:57 • #36 
Glass Fanatic
Found myself fishing a little streamer with dumbell eyes on the 794 last time I was out. Nymph with it half the time too. Tip is not dry fly only.

I have those two rods (Epic and Paddock) and the 794 has a stiffer butt, slightly softer mid and softer tip. The 794 also feels like it's a heavier rod with the mass distribution being very well thought out. Nothing wrong with the 480 which feels closer to a straight taper but the 794 is more "designed" and complex in a very good way. I would rather spend the afternoon with the 794. The 480 feels just as good with a true 5wt as it does with a 4, the 794 is a 4 and nothing but just because it feels so great that way.

A more relevant comparison can be made with the equally sublime Kenney 794. The Kenney is simply the smoothest and feels a little lighter and more glass like and subtle, the Paddock is stronger, more powerful and the rod I would choose for faster water, bigger flies and bigger fish; because of its slightly greater heft and backbone it's closer to bamboo in feel. The perfect bamboo rod, if it could be made would feel like this. Both these rods are such sensory delights that if you are at all puritanical in inclination you might choose to avoid them!

Post 04 Sep 2016, 18:34 • #37 
Glass Fanatic
Giogio,

Thanks for the comparison. The attributes make sense given the reference taper.

Post 30 Apr 2017, 10:03 • #38 
Master Guide
I have been quietly developing a few details...
The reel seat hardware (nickel silver) will be made by me and of my own design. The wood inserts will be unique, a couple a really nice woods are in the shop now... Karelian birch, koa, and black walnut.
The rod appointments will also change a little, the winding check (nickel silver) will be made by me and of my own design. The stripping guide is handmade in the USA, they are pure class. There will be a couple of guide wrap options to chose from, and there will be more color in the whole package!
This all comes at a price... a price increase will be necessary and justified. Production will be very limited, there will be a lot more steps (from my hands) to the process. I'm waiting for a few items to be made for me (tooling) and I'm in the process of making a few tools myself... once all that gets together, I'll share a little more. I plan to debut the changes at Michiglass this June.
Here's a color change to the blanks. The tapers remain the same, perfect actions and balance. Each model was developed for its intended use, but they do share at least one similar trait... they talk to you on the first cast.

Post 30 Apr 2017, 13:44 • #39 
Glass Fanatic
Think the color change is going to be great, yellow glass is gorgeous

Post 30 Apr 2017, 21:27 • #40 
Glass Fanatic
Lemon Peel!

Post 01 May 2017, 10:12 • #41 
Master Guide
Very nice!

Post 01 May 2017, 20:03 • #42 
Glass Fanatic
Looking​ forward to seeing the new rods!

Post 03 May 2017, 16:34 • #43 
Master Guide
That is a great color.

Nico

Post 03 May 2017, 19:41 • #44 
Master Guide
Glad to see the color change. Interested to see the custom hardware. Fine tapers.

Post 08 May 2017, 18:09 • #45 
Glass Fanatic
Very nice Fred! Really looking forward to seeing these!

Post 08 May 2017, 18:37 • #46 
Master Guide
Thanks everyone, the debut is getting closer... I have a roll die stamp that is now completed and on its way to me, it'll roll stamp my signature on the butt cap of the reel seat hardware that I am making. I hope to finish up a few expanding mandrels (tools) for the ease of holding hardware to finish. Then, I can start putting things together... it's been a little while building up tooling and such, but it's coming together.

Post 10 May 2017, 09:36 • #47 
Glass Fanatic
giogio, i got a kick out of this quote from your post...

"I have those two rods (Epic and Paddock)... Both these rods are such sensory delights that if you are at all puritanical in inclination you might choose to avoid them!"

fred, good luck with your new series. looking forward to seeing your house hardware too. i much prefer the new yellow blanks. i hope to cast one of these soon.

Post 15 May 2017, 18:24 • #48 
Master Guide
Well, here's some hardware that I just finished up. The photos are not great, I'm not a good photographer... just point and shoot! I favor the classic looks, the hardware is simple and low key. I had a die stamp made, as you can see the results in the photos, I'm pleased with the stamp. Each set of hardware will be similar, but not exact. I'm not measuring dimensions... just going "freehand" on the lathe. I do plan to proportion the dimensions for each model. They will be all done one at a time. The wood insert is Karelian birch, it's not common and sometimes difficult to find. It still needs another coat of varnish, but it made it to the photo shoot. The oval mortise is cut on the lathe too. I don't have a lot of the Karelian birch, just about a dozen pieces (after I reserve some pieces for my personal builds). I do have koa and black walnut... as I get going on more builds, I'll show them as well. I'm working on the 705-2 build, should be done soon...
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Post 15 May 2017, 18:46 • #49 
Glass Fanatic
Beautiful metalwork and inserts! Elegant all the way.

Post 15 May 2017, 21:20 • #50 
Glass Fanatic
Beautiful Fred!

Bob

Previous  1, 2, 3  Next New Topic Add Reply