It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 18:02

Forum Guide

These discussions MUST stay on the original topic.
Please be courteous and considerate.

Only Commercial Forum members and Staff may initiate discussions here - everyone may reply

Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 New Topic Add Reply
Post 06 Nov 2017, 23:57 • #76 
Guide
Hate to raise this thread from Zombieland, but my search didn't bring up a better one. Several years ago, I casted most of Bill's glass at Bob Selb's booth during a Heritage Day that the PA FlyFishing Museum was having. I was entranced by everything about them, knowing that I'm a big fanboy for most anything Bill Harms does.

Since I could see that eventually the whole line was going to end up in my wine racks (along with Peaks, Cummings, Silaflexes, Fenwicks, Hardys, Orvii, Kenney, Johnson, - in the glass section), the only question was where to start. So I decided the first one would be the 8'6" 5wt 4p, since this is a format that glass (and for that matter, grass) does not do well.

I've ffished this stick a few dozen times now, and it can handle midges with 8X (surprising for a 5wt of any substrate) as well as chunk streamers out there. It can rollcast as well as handle wind and distance.

Bill Harms is a master designer, as well as builder.

tl
les

Post 07 Nov 2017, 06:57 • #77 
Glass Fanatic
Glad you fed this thread a Twinkie Les, I would like to hear more about Bill Harms' glass. After the initial chatter I haven't heard much, only a bit of praise for the 7'8 5 weight. Thanks for your comments.

Post 07 Nov 2017, 08:49 • #78 
Glass Fanatic
ditto here... is he still building glass?

Post 08 Nov 2017, 11:10 • #79 
Glass Fanatic
They are still listed on Bob Selb’s site, The Classic Flyfisherman. Bob also gives contact info for Bill. (I reposted some of my ransomed photobucket photos that I took of some of Bill’s rods. It was a maddening experience!)

Post 08 Nov 2017, 14:32 • #80 
Glass Fanatic
o yeah! very sweet rig right there. if i recall, these are built on bill harms tapers rolled by mike macfarland.

Post 09 Oct 2018, 17:01 • #81 
Sport
I just ran into this thread. I have a Harms Glass rod that I bought from this Forum. It’s a 7’2” 4wt., looks somewhat like a Kabuto blank, and differs in action (and cosmetics) from my MacFarland. It’s a super rod!

Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 New Topic Add Reply