It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 03:52

Forum Guide

These discussions MUST stay on the original topic.
Please be courteous and considerate.

Only Commercial Forum members and Staff may initiate discussions here - everyone may reply

Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9  Next New Topic Add Reply
Re: ECHO Glass Series
Post 23 Jan 2014, 03:01 • #51 
Master Guide
Mikee your right. Glass appears to have moved away from an esoteric interest of retro appeal with a limited group of enthusiasts, into the main stream. The FFR membership can take pride in having been at the head waters! I believe it has been a primary promoter in developing a renewed interest in glass among the general population of anglers with a love for fishing with "angle and fly".

Post 23 Jan 2014, 03:06 • #52 
Master Guide
Ishi, that's awesome! I know of two Echo dealers in this area - and I am now eager to see if they have been as fortunate to get them in as quickly.

Post 23 Jan 2014, 14:40 • #53 
Administrator
Excellent news. Hopefully I'll have the TFM demos soon. There is already a waiting list on most models.

Post 23 Jan 2014, 20:39 • #54 
Master Guide
jgestar wrote:
They are certainly there now, from a shop in Idaho. The same shop that had a previous sale. I did the same search earlier, but they didn't show up. Weird.

Also weird - they have listed the rods as "used". Perhaps they messed up the listing.

Tom

They did mess up the listing as they are marked NEW now. Yesterday afternoon I made an offer below retail and within minutes it was sold at my offer ;)

Russ

Post 29 Jan 2014, 15:54 • #55 
Sport
Just ordered the 4 weight; Only 5 weeks before the opening day ...

Arnaud

Post 29 Jan 2014, 22:40 • #56 
Inactive
picked up the 5wt. today. with a 20+ mph wind it was tough to get a good feel for the rod, but i can tell i am going to like it. very pleased with the overall aesthetics. very nice cork for a $200 rod, but it (cork) currently smells a little like gasoline. don't know what that's about, but hopefully it dissipates soon. have a cheapie greys reel on it now, but seated a new battenkill click/pawl III on it at the shop and it looked fantastic. saving up some more pennies for that one. gonna throw a sylk 5wf on it. think that will be a nice match. will have a chance to fish it on feb. 10th and hope to have a good report to post after that.

Post 30 Jan 2014, 06:36 • #57 
Glass Fanatic
Great dpenrod. Looks like Echo has done a good job in introducing and distributing these.

Once you and others have some user experience and critiques, please post them in "Fishing Fiberglass Rods" or "Glass Tech."

Post 01 Feb 2014, 15:39 • #58 
Master Guide
I just found out the rod tubes will be triangular a La 70's Fenwick's. Yet another detail that gets me stoked about these rods.

Post 01 Feb 2014, 16:46 • #59 
Administrator
Tim Rajeff emailed yesterday that the TFM demos are en route. I should have them available soon for demo.

Post 01 Feb 2014, 18:53 • #60 
Glass Fanatic
My fishing buddy Kurt won an Echo on the TFM 12 Days of Christmas, and he received the rod earlier in the week. Nicely assembled and seemed to have a nice medium action. It was rather cold and blustery outside at the time, so we didn't immediately go out in the front yard and try it out as we usually do with new rods. As soon as weather permits we will try it out, preferably on the stream.

Larry

Post 01 Feb 2014, 19:14 • #61 
I got mine (a 2 weight) last Thursday ... I think it's a gem to look at. Nice features (dots, guides, reel seat etc). I really like the color of the blank and wrappings. Great golden honey with olive ... Looks like a classic rod ... There ends the comparison with the older glass rods. It is (for glass) a pretty fast recovering rod ... No wobble or spaghetti at all. Actually it can produce real good line-speed and (most important for a #2 rod) it has a nice soft presentation. Line pick-up seems pretty good for this rod. I tent to try it with too long a line, but it does the job. I really want to try it fishing ... I love the deep action and would love te feel the first fish bending my little rod ... All in all ... I'm still a happy angler ... (could well be that one or two other weight find their way to Holland to ... )

Post 02 Feb 2014, 00:42 • #62 
Glass Fanatic
Holdover, thanks for the pics! I am also excited for these rods and seeing close ups of the cosmetics are encouraging. After getting to cast an Orvis Superfine Glass today I am excited about these new factory rods that are coming out.

Dusty

Post 03 Feb 2014, 16:17 • #63 
Guide
Cameron wrote:
Tim Rajeff emailed yesterday that the TFM demos are en route. I should have them available soon for demo.

Ooh, bring one out to the Pleasanton show!

Post 03 Feb 2014, 18:15 • #64 
Glass Fanatic
[quote="Holdover"]I just found out the rod tubes will be triangular a La 70's Fenwick's. Yet another detail that gets me stoked about these rods.

You mean they will lose their end caps? :lol :lol :lol

Post 03 Feb 2014, 18:16 • #65 
Master Guide
mdwwhw wrote:
Holdover wrote:
I just found out the rod tubes will be triangular a La 70's Fenwick's. Yet another detail that gets me stoked about these rods.

You mean they will loose their end caps? :lol :lol :lol

:rollin Thanks for the laugh. That was FUNNY!

Post 03 Feb 2014, 18:16 • #66 
Master Guide
Buzzerooni wrote:
Cameron wrote:

Ooh, bring one out to the Pleasanton show!

X2

Post 05 Feb 2014, 08:58 • #67 
Master Guide
The Bear's Den has the full line up, or at least they did when I showed up yesterday. I cast the Echo 5 weight alongside the Orvis Glass 5 weight. They are both different animals and I can definitely see an argument to own both. The Orvis is a great rod that reminds me of the System rods, a smooth progressive action with latent power.

However, I fell in love with the Echo with its deeply flexing action. I tested the Echo for accuracy at aproximately 40, 50, and 60 feet and it was pinpoint 100% of the time, and with such a soft presentation. In testing for distance, the cast held together very well beyond 70 feet and it continued to maintain its accuracy. As for appearance, the Echo has such a classic glass look to it; and in addition, it has a downlocking grip. Needless to say, I bought it. After I brought it home, I found another great thing about it, it balances perfectly with a Medalist 1494.

Post 05 Feb 2014, 09:02 • #68 
Glass Fanatic
Quote:
.. . I fell in love with the Echo with its deeply flexing action. I tested the Echo for accuracy at aproximately 40, 50, and 60 feet and it was pinpoint 100% of the time, and with such a soft presentation. In testing for distance, the cast held together very well beyond 70 feet and it continued to maintain its accuracy. As for appearance, the Echo has such a classic glass look to it; and in addition, it has a downlocking grip. Needless to say, I bought it. After I brought it home, I found another great thing about it, it balances perfectly with a Medalist 1494.

Thanks for the encouraging report.

Post 05 Feb 2014, 13:47 • #69 
Sport
I purchased the 5wt and will fish it this weekend.

Chips

Post 08 Feb 2014, 11:54 • #70 
Master Guide
standman wrote:
I tested the Echo for accuracy at aproximately 40, 50, and 60 feet and it was pinpoint 100% of the time, and with such a soft presentation. In testing for distance, the cast held together very well beyond 70 feet and it continued to maintain its accuracy.

But what will it be like for fishing at 10' - 35'? How about roll casting?

I know you probably haven't had a chance to fish it yet, but hope it shines at the short to mid-range game, too.

It sounds promising. Congrats!

Post 08 Feb 2014, 18:22 • #71 
Glass Fanatic
I got an up close and personal look at the Echo glass line today at a local sporting goods shop and I was impressed. I like the color of the blank and the thread wraps. Looks nicer in person than in any photos I've seen. The reel seat and cork, not so much. To me the reel seat hardware look cheap and the grip shape is just OK. I liked the full-flex action/feel of these rods. Next time I stop by I'll have time to cast one or two of them out behind the store.

Post 09 Feb 2014, 06:24 • #72 
Master Guide
The Bear's Den is one of the local dealers I was thinking of earlier in my area. Scott is one of the most knowledgeable shop owners I know. An enthusiastic angler ... and, anyway - the Den is an excellent place to go if you want to compare the new glass. He carries the Butterstick as well.

Post 09 Feb 2014, 20:28 • #73 
Administrator
The ECHO Glass TFM Fly Rod Loan Program demos arrived on Friday and I started going through them this morning. No time to cast them in the yard or on the pond yet but did snap a few images to share here and on TFM as well.

Overall I am very impressed with the looks and feel of these fly rods. They certainly seem worth $200.

Post 10 Feb 2014, 07:46 • #74 
Glass Fanatic
Marvellous value at $200!

Post 11 Feb 2014, 22:00 • #75 
Guide
I have been looking at the BS and Echo. I have owned Redington rods and have no experience with Echo. From what I have been reading I am leaning towards the Echo and am interested in trying something new but I know how good of a value Redington rods can be. The past few years I have sold most of my rods and have only been fishing 3 wts. The Eagleclaw being my only 5 wt just because. Interested to hear a comparison between the 4 & 5 wt. If the 4 wt would be a decent all rounder (for me) that might be the one for me and may get more use but a decent 5 wt is never a bad thing.

Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9  Next New Topic Add Reply