It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 11:06

Previous  1, 2 New Topic Add Reply
Lures?
Post 30 Oct 2008, 05:01 • #26 
Emeritus
There are some great lures on this thread- thanks!

I don't "collect" per se, just have picked ones up I like and sold the ones that I didn't. Never went after complete series or really rare lures.

A lot of mine have been fished, some brutally; a handful are mint. I rarely fish plugs anymore.

A question was asked about value, it can be disheartening to follow the auction results on eBay unless you have something early, unusual, boxed and minty etc. like the glass eyes earlier on this thread. So I just take them out sometimes to show to a friend or the kids in the neighborhood and enjoy them. I'll post more shortly.

If you see one you're curious about, I'll ID more completely for you.

A trio of Bagleys, pair of Hawg Bosses, trio of L&S lures, two Creek Chub mice (one ancient, the other modern), Cordell Big O, two nice crawdad-type (reversed) lures upper left. Forgot the unusual glitter lure upper right, the Baits Bait Co. flat mouse lower right is pretty scarce

Heddons, and several that are "Heddonish:" Sonic and Firetail Sonic, Baby & Tiny Lucky 13's, Tiny Torpedos, various Runts, a minty Zara Spook and a Baby Zara, a nice Tiny Stingaree and a floro Clatter Tad

ID for bulldog

Various Rapalas including the Sinking Magnum lower right, pair of Rebels above the Magnum, Cordell Hot Spot, tiger-striped Smithwick Water Gater and similar rattlers, pair of ThinFins incl. a Hot'nTot, a nice Cisco Kid with the 2" "leader," unidentified yellow football-shaped plug with twin spinners, and at upper left the infamous "Plug with the Bug" (Skipper) made by Fishing Country, Memphis TN until the early sixties

Plug with the Bug. These were offered with a variety of "swallowed" bugs

Hula Poppers x 4, and some oddities incl. a W&M Bug-a-Boo (I think), possible South Bend Surf Oreno diving variant with the long bill, gold Hot Shot #3, some flatfish incl. the venerable Lazy Ike in frog, unidentified wood red & whites, a pair of unusual handpainted craft lures including the spotted orange lure, and at lower right a needlefish with single prop. Look closely, he looks like he was "piked" in the middle of his back!

Thanks for looking,

Lures?
Post 30 Oct 2008, 08:38 • #27 
Guide
Wow! Middlemac, those are mouth watering good looking lures! I'm the same as you on fishing plugs now days I don't use them much anymore either. I have managed somehow to hang on to my original very old Lucky 13s though, three of them (including a Tiny 13), shown below with a more recent plastic Lucky 13. I love the old ones with the glass eyes intact like one of these shown.

Middlemac, if you ever run across any Airex spinners and don't want them, let me know (see my wish list above in this thread?Thanks for the wonderful photos.

Mike

I've caught many an old gar back in the day on this guy. See the teeth marks?

Lures?
Post 31 Oct 2008, 12:23 • #28 
Glass Fanatic
Middlemac,
really enjoyed your photos, don't fish these lures but I really like to see what people have. Beautiful collection, those wooden ones are special. Respectfully RV Reclus

Are there any saltwater guys with a few pics of there Creek Chub Giant Pikes? I'd love to see them, sold all of mine to a collector.

Last edited by rvreclus on 31 Oct 2008, 12:28, edited 1 time in total.

Lures?
Post 16 Nov 2008, 21:15 • #29 
Master Guide
I still have my wooden Pikies in perch finish- one jointed, one smaller and unjointed- heirlooms, so to speak, from my Dad. And maybe his Dad. I caught my first smallmouth on the smaller one- 2 1/2 pounds. I couldn't believe it when I finally got that fish in the boat.

Lures?
Post 17 Nov 2008, 02:45 • #30 
Guide
Freestoner, can you post some photos of those old pikie lures for us?

Lures?
Post 18 Nov 2008, 16:51 • #31 
Master Guide
Not for a while, graewolf. They're retired in a secure place of honor, but it's some distance away from where I presently reside.

They both have plenty teeth marks in them. They caught pickerel, too.

I do have one of those "Fly-Oreno" lures around, in perch finish. I can get you a picture of that one. It's in pretty good shape right now, but I sort of want to fish with it anyway. I've always wanted to use it night fishing for brownies on the LeTort, just for the sheer iconoclasm of it. But that will require some modification, due to the double hook.

Come to think of it, I have a red and white Fly-Oreno that has serious paint flaking, and no hook, just the screw eye. Maybe I'd be better off stripping the paint off of that one, repainting it, hanging a single hook on it, and using it that way.

There are undeniable advantages over a deer hair fly.

Lures?
Post 19 Nov 2008, 03:17 • #32 
Guide
Freestoner, night fishing for brownies on the LeTort sounds good to me. I would love to see a photo of those Fly-Oreno lures you've got.

Lures?
Post 10 Jan 2009, 12:47 • #33 
Glass Fanatic
Didn't want to see this thread disappear, so here are some real metal spoons and lures I've used for fishing the saltwater here at home.

First Crocodiles, in various finishes and at the bottom a Kast Master. All these lure are 4oz or more.

These are the venerable Hopkins in two sizes and Miki's in two finishes

These last two photos are for size comparison and actual lenghts
ImageImage
Hpe you enjoy these looks at lures from my past. I'll be posting some pics of more lures later. Respectfully rvreclus

Last edited by rvreclus on 10 Jan 2009, 12:51, edited 1 time in total.

Lures?
Post 20 Dec 2009, 04:32 • #34 
Master Guide
I would love to see a photo of those Fly-Oreno lures you've got.

Graewolf, at long last- it's been over a year- I got around to photographing the lure I was talking about.

(not actual size!)

Actually, I don't think that the name of it is "Fly-Oreno"- I think this one is called a Trout-Oreno. I just got a fishing lure guide, I'll need to check to be sure.

At any rate, in the intervening months, I've also found a similar lure that is even smaller- I think this one may well be a Fly-Oreno! Check it out ...

Comparison to scale:

Lures?
Post 24 Dec 2009, 09:49 • #35 
A shot of my Smithwick King Snipes.Image

Lures?
Post 31 Dec 2009, 13:17 • #36 
Master Guide
I do not have much in the way of heddon lures but I have some of the old salmon lures used up in the san juan islands by my grandparents that I hold onto. My folks still live there and I still make it out fishing once in a while. I have some of the newer stuff I used as a kid but I like the older stuff. The plugs are wooden and the spoons are abalone or mother of pearl or something. The last plug is interesting. It has a drop of mercury inside of it that rolls around.
Russell
ImageImage

Lures?
Post 17 Jan 2010, 05:49 • #37 
Sport
good morning- Dear Middlemac- who made the middle row 3rd and 4th lure down in your 1st pic? - look like some sort of heddon plastic maybe.

Lures?
Post 17 Jan 2010, 12:46 • #38 
Guide
Here's one. The Mercury Minnow ... Yes green fishermen it has mercury in it ... lots. You can see it on the second pic under the clear plastic near the tail. This was from gramps tackle box.

Oh and the Metal thread I posted was supposed to be in here.

Lures?
Post 17 Jan 2010, 13:25 • #39 
Guide
A few of my Creek Chubs. The oldest two (a plunker and pikie) and the prettiest (injured minnow in 'dace').Image

Previous  1, 2 New Topic Add Reply