It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 16:42

New Topic Add Reply
Post 09 Oct 2018, 20:25 • #1 
Piscator
Spent the long weekend with my buddies Lou and Steve in a canal house at Palm Harbor.
This is kind of a big deal for us, planned for two months since first scoping the rent properties and checking moon and tides. Two of our friends dropped out, and that's ok.
The moon was was waning to a new moon.
NOAA tides for Saturday were a high tide at 2am, a second high at 12:30, and a strong low tide at 8pm. The tide followed the same pattern, an hour later over each of the next two days. 40% rain chance the whole weekend, and the fresh water in the bays has definitely affected the spec population. We saw bait everywhere, Sat and Sun, nothing was feeding on it, but that was also likely affected by the power boat traffic.
The contrasting rainy skies made for some great photography.
The plan Saturday was to begin at Sandy Point, the southern tip of Talley Island, paddle the perimeter, fish the sloughs and especially the cuts, hoping to make Big Cut for the strong afternoon tide.
We were mostly fishing TSL grasswalkers and had fly rods rigged for the opportunity. I started the morning with tiny rat red in the first slough on Talley. The wading water in the back of Trout Bayou and the former cut to Aransas Bay was loaded with little stingrays and tiny reds, but nothing was feeding. Same story around to Little Cut, where we paddled through to Outside Beach.
Little Cut had a strong wind current going onto the flat, and below the surface, a pretty good tide current going out. Nothing but dink trout, so we ate our lunch, set our drift socks, and drift-fished Estes back to Sandy Point.
One thing this trip, first time we've had tail-after-tail bitten off TSL grasswalkers by dink trout.
By mid-afternoon, we were two-thirds through our drift and found fall redfish in trout bayou.
My first was a respectable 18-inch rat on chicken-on-a-chain
missed another on his run trying to get the hook set, and followed that on the same lure with a 25" red that took me round and round.
When we met up at sandy point, Steve had our dinner rounded out with a 22" red on pink trout support, so we headed in to make our grocery errands and cook.
Strange thing when we filleted these fish and checked their stomach contents, new moon notwithstanding, neither fish had eaten a bite before they took our lures at 1pm. I'm chalking that up to the power boat traffic, too.
Steve poached the fillets in a cajun sauce on the grill
Lou handled the salad and garlic butter for the bread, I sauteed the green beans in olive oil and garlic - it was great and we ate too much
The canals have green lights on the bottom, which didn't draw much bait, but did draw all the resident tourist trout - all 14" and smaller
I've seen these canals when you could walk on the bait, and the schoolie specs would come in at night - I've sight-fished 22" and 23" specs here.
This one and 2 of his buddies chased a tiny popper, but they only fell for that once, and I had to switch to the slime line and tiny whistlers to turn more.
Sunday would be a weird day all around. We decided to paddle straight to big cut to see if the morning slack tide would draw something more off Aransas Bay than the dinks. Sitting for lunch, the sky was beautiful - and nothing but dink trout in the cut.
fishing lunch complimented with a Ballast Point Sculpin
Starting the drift home inside of Big Cut, the wind current and rising tide should have us on fish right away, and it did. My strangeness was a bigger redfish than the previous day's, a good 10-minute fight where I saw the fish 3 times. My line was carrying a huge ball of yellow grass. When I lifted the line, the grass ball slid right into the redfish's mouth, and he came unhooked like it was a hook remover. Within minutes, the rain wall hit us with a gale to 35 knots. Drift socks trolleyed to the stern rode the gale perfectly.
Lou and I actually enjoyed the rain, but Steve had just lifted his drift sock, the gale cocked him sideways, and a wave washed him off his boat.
His biggest concern was his I-phone in a ziplock, and he headed for the barn. Lou and I set up a second drift in Trout Bayou, but didn't find redfish where we did the day before. Lou did get rat reds on Sunday.
We made up for it with a great seafood meal at Los Comales in Rockport.

Monday morning, Steve decided to pack on home to get ready for a big deal at work, Lou and I decided to wait out this big wall cloud, so we had a great breakfast of salmon omelettes rolled up with tortillas and link sausage.
We were out by 10:30 and had a bang-up day. Same plan, paddled to sandy point fished a bit on the wind seam, but this time the bait was being slashed.
Anybody know what this is? We caught them all day, all across the flat
along with dink trout
One more gratuitous Big Cut photo, and you can see the incoming tide seam
We had the flat all to ourselves - there were no power boats running, and the little fish there were attacking our grasswalkers - also had no tails bit off the lures.
I missed another big red - really thought I had this one set.
But made up for it with a 21"
I fished this lure all day, and you can see the abuse it took
For our last evening meal last night before packing out this morning, Lou and I drove into Corpus and ate at Thai Spice
I'm taking my 89-y-o dad to Arroyo next month.

Last edited by bulldog1935 on 10 Oct 2018, 07:09, edited 2 times in total.

Post 09 Oct 2018, 20:37 • #2 
Guide
Thanks for taking me along Ron. Devoured every inch of each picture.

Post 09 Oct 2018, 20:58 • #3 
Piscator
thanks - I got an answer on corpusfishing - lizardfish - my first synodid, and we caught many yesterday

Last edited by bulldog1935 on 15 Oct 2018, 10:22, edited 1 time in total.

Post 09 Oct 2018, 21:25 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
Great outing, fish, and photos -- thanks for showing!

Post 10 Oct 2018, 07:06 • #5 
Piscator
we had a blast, and we always eat good...

good thing our little house had a big kitchen

Post 10 Oct 2018, 08:15 • #6 
Glass Fanatic
Tomah wrote:
Great outing, fish, and photos -- thanks for showing!

+1 Really enjoyed the report. Looks like a really great time.

Post 10 Oct 2018, 08:27 • #7 
Piscator
it was legendary, and using the camera makes it even better
guys on corpusfishing, gave me an ID on the inshore lizardfish - aka diamond lizardfish, Synodus synodus - the red stripe gives it away - and 8" is a lunker. They're reported to be thick on the flats right now.

Post 10 Oct 2018, 17:06 • #8 
Sport
Excellent fishing trip with great photos. While shore fishing in Bermuda once a local told me that catching a lizardfish would "curse" an angler so they would catch nothing else for the rest of the day, but that definitely didn't apply to you.

Post 11 Oct 2018, 06:04 • #9 
Piscator
it didn't work - I caught my first lizardfish first thing Mon morning.

as long as I'm here, good photos that didn't make my Estes essay
this is the lee side of the wind seam at sandy point, steady 12-14 kt - there's always bait here
after the long upwind paddle across the flat, getting out on the hard pack of Outside Beach feels so nice - no mud, no quicksand
author, author
Stevo setting up for lunch - he can remove the seat from his Hobie

Last edited by bulldog1935 on 13 Oct 2018, 09:38, edited 1 time in total.

Post 11 Oct 2018, 11:36 • #10 
Glass Fanatic
Looks like a great time...thanks for all the pics

Post 13 Oct 2018, 01:59 • #11 
Piscator
Stevo got a nice rainbow photo on his phone camera,
My boat staked at sandy point, and me fishing the wind seam

Last edited by bulldog1935 on 13 Oct 2018, 09:39, edited 1 time in total.

Post 13 Oct 2018, 10:32 • #12 
Piscator
On a TKF thread discussing TSL grasswalker lures, I posted more detail about my trip-fish, so decided to copy it here.
http://www.texaskayakfisherman.com/foru ... 8#p2275928
https://troutsupport.com/product/trout-support-lure/
For anyone who's never fished this lure, it's amazing. Casts like a bullet. It's neutral density, so it stays in the zone with a slow retrieve. It dog-walks side-to-side with any retrieve, better imitating bait than any other lure (weighted lures yo-yo up and down, which bait never do, and you have to retrieve them fast to keep them in the zone). It's the lure that duplicates fly fishing with a slime line, but you can cast it farther, and you can't dog-walk a fly rod (except maybe a mylar spoon).

When I wrote my Estes flats photo essay, there was too much to talk about to include the experience of this one fish, but it was a hoot, and an illustration of the aggression and persistence fish attack this lure with.
I don't know if it was one fish or a pod, but my cast took a solid eat as soon as it hit the water. On the set attempt, my line went slack again, and I continued my dog-walking presentation. Right up by the boat, this big head came out of the water, pushing the lure in front of him with a miss - this time I stopped my retrieve dead, and the big head turned, lunged and broached again with a solid eat - both lure and fish were already closer than the bow of my drifting boat. In fact, the final eat was 3 feet in front of my dangling legs. Of course, by then, he knew all about me.

After the hook set, the fish easily took 50 yards in a straight run against my steadily increasing drag set. The distance he ran out gave me a lot of time to get my boat prepared for his return - pick up drift sock, pick up rudder, trolley to center so no loose line - make sure everything was clear for the guaranteed 2 trips around the boat. It was a good tiring 10-minute fight, and I had to pump to get him back to the boat.
When I staked out a few minutes later at sandy point, shot the measurement photo against my boat paint marks - 25"
and back in the water

Last edited by bulldog1935 on 16 Oct 2018, 11:30, edited 1 time in total.

Post 14 Oct 2018, 06:34 • #13 
Guide
Nice post. I catch a lot of lizardfish in NC while trolling very small Clark spoons for Spanish mackerel. Not in the ocean but in the sound on the way back to the ramp.

Post 14 Oct 2018, 12:15 • #14 
Piscator
I was hoping the smacks would come up the channel to Big Cut on the falling tide - the Gulf is only 3 miles away - but there's too much fresh water in the bays from the monsoons we've had over the past month.
A more recent report on corpusfishing caught smacks and schoolie specs later this week at the mouth of Corpus Bayou, only a mile away from Big Cut.
We've paddled there by driving the 5 miles to launch at Lighthouse Lakes, but it's too easy to jump in the boat in the Palm Harbor canal and pursue the reds - the drift home with the prevailing wind is so fine.
(this is Nov at S Padre jettys)

Last edited by bulldog1935 on 15 Oct 2018, 08:56, edited 1 time in total.

Post 14 Oct 2018, 12:52 • #15 
Master Guide
Nice post!
I had one of those Valentine reels (350) until it was stolen.
Little heavy but nice reel....I monitor EBay for used ones.

Post 14 Oct 2018, 14:47 • #16 
Piscator
Both the planetary and single action in good condition go for $225-250.
The SA has a huge fan club on this forum.
The Valentine brothers are still making the planetary reels them from their aerospace fab shop - https://www.valentineflyreel.com/
They offer Delrin gearing upgrades and square handle grasps on the old reels.
They've turned up on the forum mentioning they might make a limited edition SA run, but nothing so far.
viewtopic.php?p=312897#p312897
In the early 80s, SA sold for $70, and planetary for $120 - you can see what they're asking now, $400 for the alloy sheet reel, and $450 for barstock.
Though people have occasionally called Gunnison the Medalist on Steroids, it fits better with this reel.
Image Image
Here's the cheesecake shot of my Harnell and Valentine planetary
the seller's detail photos of the rod are on this thread
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=63918

Post 14 Oct 2018, 19:14 • #17 
Glass Fanatic
Glad to see you got some good fishing in around the rainy weather. I like that area around Estes Flats. It’s a great place to paddle with turtles.

I had to cancel my trip to South Padre next week, since there’s a 60% chance of thunderstorms most days.

Post 15 Oct 2018, 08:55 • #18 
Piscator
S Padre just gets better from now to Thanksgiving.
We're going to Arroyo in 3 weeks - no kayaks, though - my dad's power boat.
Lower Laguna Madre also has the advantage of no freshwater inlets, so good salinity for big specs no matter the amount of rain.

Post 19 Oct 2018, 00:02 • #19 
Guide
Wonderful trip report. Absolutely nothing better than fishing with friends and family.

Post 19 Oct 2018, 07:57 • #20 
Guide
Great photos and write up. Takes me back to my Texas roots!

Post 03 Nov 2018, 07:40 • #21 
Piscator
thanks again - finally wound down, got back into the work swing, and making repairs on my boat.
Rudder cable snapped on the drive home (good timing), but it lasted 7 years, and the two cables before that only lasted 1 to 2 years.
This time I'm using 550-lb spectra (1.9mm speargun braid), but it was interesting getting it through the tygon cable guide tubes.
It certainly won't corrode like even teflon-coated stainless wire rope, but I also think it probably won't fatigue - we'll see...
also worked out a continuous loop to keep the spectra tight and not stepped on (bosses on the Sea Dog pedals were made just for this).
Used Ronstan Shocks for blocks, soft anchor bend to the pedal bosses, and deep-sea nylon thimbles, crimps and crimp covers on the short spectra ends.
The shock cord ends and sheet bend here are not yet cut and seized.
And like all shock cords, I have them rigged so I can unload the tension for storage, and set for use - this is with the shock cords relaxed.
rigging kayaks is the next best thing to building bicycles - and all your rigging has to work when a 25" red is coming to the boat

all buttoned up
https://youtu.be/14eP709UrtE

edit 11/3 - heading out to Arroyo City in the Texas tropics tomorrow morning, but leaving the kayaks at home.
Won't be back for a week, but should have a good report when I return.

Post 20 Nov 2018, 12:50 • #22 
Guide
That looks like so much fun and some Yum in there too. I have got to do that some day. Nice report and pics!

Post 22 Nov 2018, 11:51 • #23 
Piscator
thanks - my favorite place for the combination of paddling with quality fishing (and a short drive to great launches and fishing along Aransas causeway). October is definitely the month for Estes Flats, but by November, moving farther south just gets better and better.

Not quite as good as the "lakes" along San Jose barrier island, but a lot easier to get to - this is where to find the big redfish in summer (with their backs out of the water) and big trout in the fall - have to shuttle kayaks by power boat across Aransas Bay to get to the barrier island lakes - below.
(There used to be an 8-hour kayak shuttle from Fulton harbor to Fence Lake, but who know's what's happened there since Harvey.)
We've strapped 3 kayaks in the boat before for the run across the big bay (12' deep). Years ago, I found aerial photos of the coastline on the internet and stashed these away. This is E/NE across Aransas Bay from the chart in my opening post. Allyn's Bight on San Jose island is at the left on this aerial (Long reef on the right). The two notches along the shore to the right of Allyn's Bight are Allyn's Lake and Fence Lake.
A trip 10 years ago, my dad's birthday trip to Estes - we stayed in a big house in Palm Harbor, and had 4 different friends staging through the bedrooms over the 5 days.
launching at Allyn's Lake - Dad drift-fished St. Jo shore and came back for us later (he never gets out of the boat, not even for great wade-fishing).
wading the back of Allyn's Lake early morning
not a great photo, but the lakes are all turtle grass and less than knee-deep - much less at low tide
2nd cast of the morning - first cast was a bigger spec that tore the hook out on her second run
we found plenty of redfish drifting Estes flats that trip, also

Arroyo City with the extended family and power boat was a great trip earlier this month, also.
viewtopic.php?f=33&t=64332
Trying to talk my buds into another Arroyo Shack trip for early March.
If we swing it, this trip will include paddling/ fishing the natural Arroyo to its mouth, and a day kayak trip to Port Mansfield (only a 15-mi drive).
Far south Texas winters up a pretty good flock of snowbirds, and good fishing all through the winter, including king mackerel and tarpon from the S. Padre jetties.
While we've caught stacked-up reds in California Hole on Estes at 40-degrees, the temperate weather farther south makes for better winter fishing.
Even when a cold front pushes farther south, the prevailing SE warms it back sooner.

Post 30 Nov 2018, 06:49 • #24 
Guide
Well that is it, I am adding that to my bucket list now. I know two brothers and another from another mother that would seriously love this. I love the idea of multi species trips....reminds me very much of hitting warm water lakes up here. Love these photos.

Post 30 Nov 2018, 09:59 • #25 
Piscator
thanks Richard, I'm going to add a post to my Arroyo thread that you may want to read.

New Topic Add Reply