It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 21:29

New Topic Add Reply
Post 19 Sep 2018, 06:37 • #1 
Guide
Hardy Brothers launched their first glass rods in 1961. They were called Glaskona, probably an attempt to pass off early (likely solid or near-solid) glass as broadly comparable to the Palakona cane rods (!).

In 1966 Hardy launched a second generation of (solid) glass rods in both spinning and fly models, using the Neo Glas family name. Each individual model was then named after a Scottish mountain: Ben Hope, Ben More, Ben Nevis etc.

The first JETs, which used the Fisher-made hollow fly blanks, were launched in 1967, and the Fibalites (with the UK-manufactured Fibatube blanks) in the mid-70s.

I found this rod at a local junk dealer: it had only had one previous owner. Although the label, irritatingly, has substantially flaked off, you can see that it is a 8 1/2ft Neo Glas Ben More; it was acquired by the original owner for spinning for salmon, largely on the River Spey in Scotland. I must confess to being a bit puzzled by the serial number, however, which does not match the readily available list of Hardy numbers: any suggestions?

Amongst the things that interest me about this rod is the relatively low quality (for a Hardy): an unpainted blank, simple whippings and rings. But the female ferrule is extremely high quality.

The autumn rains have started in Wales, and I suspect our rivers will be in full spate by tomorrow. So that makes fishing the fly an even tougher proposition for back-end salmon. I have therefore fitted this rod with a suitable period Hardy Silex reel, and will try a little "retro-salmon" spinning this weekend.Image

Post 19 Sep 2018, 15:02 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
that's a fine-looking outfit.. really like the moveable reel-seat.

What kind of weight are you throwing, to cast the Silex ?
My brother used to fish simple center-pin reels in the ocean, to spin for bluefish and mackerel, but I never mastered the cast..

The wraps look a tad amateurish to me - I'm going to guess this is a refinish, also numbered by the refinisher for his own reasons..

Post 20 Sep 2018, 05:14 • #3 
Piscator
thanks for posting, I think it's a beauty.
I'm would be a little surprised Hardy was offering solid glass in 1961 - I have an Ogden Smiths catalog listing tubular glass spinning and fly rods in 1953. (solid glass is an early postwar thing and are rare to find over here)
I think your rod label says Neo Glass, and the rod is certainly not solid glass.

New Topic Add Reply