It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 03:27

New Topic Add Reply
Abu Garcia
Post 09 Aug 2018, 12:23 • #1 
Looking for how to find the manufacture date / age of vintage Abu Garcia Cardinal reels.
Thanks!

Re: Abu Garcia
Post 09 Aug 2018, 15:33 • #2 
Piscator
quoted from website that gave credit to Ben Wright
Quote:
in 1965 ABU introduced first series of spinning reels named CARDINAL
Some years later ABU and ZEBCO ( ASmerican Company ) arrived to
a contractual agreement that allowed the ABU cardinal series
to be marketed in the USA under the ZEBCO name
ZEBCO begin marketing of cardinals reels in 1968
This business venture would last into the early 1980s and worked
out quite well for both , ZEBCO and ABU because the early
cardinal series was one of the finest ever manufactured
After many years and more than 130 models of fishing reels ,
from 1980 abu became abu garcia and begin the
production of reels in japan
A special series of reels was produced in sweden during the normal
production were in japan
These special reels are C3 C4 C4x , have the same caracteristics
of weight retrieve , measurement and internal mechanics,than black
japanese models but these models have green body and cream
color of rotor cup ( like abu 44 and zebco 4 ) and in 1990s only
was produced model abu cardinal 33 CDL in only 800 pcs
with all metallic external parts plated 24 K gold in wodden box

found elsewhere in a company timeline
1984 – The company name is changed from ABU to Abu Garcia when a company distributor in the US called Garcia was combined with ABU

from wikipedia
Quote:
The Garcia Corporation started importing and marketing ABU's many reels in the 1950s, including the famous Ambassadeur reels. Garcia was already involved in the importing, marketing and distributing of the Mitchell 300 spinning reel from France since 1947. The Garcia Tackle Company of 1979-1980 was a short-lived partnership between ABU and Mitchell S.A. of France and in 1980 ABU AB acquired the New Jersey based Garcia Tackle Company and changed their name to Abu Garcia. Mitchell S.A. would go their own way, but the two brands would join together again under the Pure Fishing banner only again to be sold to the Jarden Corporation in 2007. In 2016 Newell Rubbermaid acquired Jarden Corporation

So no clear conclusion here, but Abu Cardinal is 1965-1980, and after that became Abu Garcia Cardinal

found another reference:
When ABU bought Garcia 1980 they started to put the label ABUGARCIA on reels and other gear.
this looks like the best website I found - http://www.realsreels.com/reels/spinning/default.html

Post 09 Aug 2018, 21:14 • #3 
Awesome, thanks for the info!!

Post 10 Aug 2018, 14:47 • #4 
Master Guide
I recall the 1960s Cardinals to be great reels, but I do remember several fishing pals that had spools burst from line pressure - I don't know why - if they spooled the line too tight or if some lines of that era had a tendency to contract - I really don't know why they did that. The spools were some sort of plastic or composite, not metal. But when they received their replacement spools, they put some string on loosely as backing and it seemed to cure the problem.

Post 10 Aug 2018, 16:44 • #5 
Sport
If you're interested in the ABU Cardinals that were made in Sweden, they can be dated with the 6 digit serial numbers on their reel feet. The 1st 2 digits are the year of manufacture. As an example, the serial number on my Cardinal 33 shows that it was made in 1976:

Last edited by AlgonquinFan on 10 Aug 2018, 17:12, edited 1 time in total.

Post 10 Aug 2018, 17:04 • #6 
Master Guide
springer1 wrote:
I recall the 1960s Cardinals to be great reels, but I do remember several fishing pals that had spools burst from line pressure - I don't know why - if they spooled the line too tight or if some lines of that era had a tendency to contract - I really don't know why they did that. The spools were some sort of plastic or composite, not metal. But when they received their replacement spools, they put some string on loosely as backing and it seemed to cure the problem.

I had a Cardinal spool collapse from line pressure back in the day. Maybe it was just a fluke, but I remember switching to Mitchell (or was it Garcia/Mitchell?) spinning reels after that.

I love using vintage fly fishing gear, but when I pulled out a couple of those old Mitchell spinning reels a few years ago, I realized just how far spinning reels have come in the last forty or so years.

Tight lines,
Bob

Post 10 Aug 2018, 20:00 • #7 
Piscator
There were smooth spinning reels in the Mitchell era, and even before - Penn, Luxor (1937-), of course Hardy (Altex - 1932-; or Exalta 1958-65).
I've never collected Cardinals, but I believe they're pretty smooth, too.
My latest Tica inshore spinning reel is slick with 8 ball-bearings and roller-bearing anti-reverse, but I wouldn't say it's overall any smoother than my Mk V (Mitchell-era) Altex - the reel in the masthead photo. Computer balancing has made a big difference in modern reels.

Post 10 Aug 2018, 20:38 • #8 
Master Guide
Quote:
My latest Tica inshore spinning reel is slick with 8 ball-bearings and roller-bearing anti-reverse, but I wouldn't say it's overall any smoother than my Mk V (Mitchell-era) Altex - the reel in the masthead photo.

Bulldog- I like that blue Garcia rod in that photo. In the mid 60s I bought my first ‘decent’ quality spinning rod - a blue 6’6” Garcia with light action. I forget the actual model# or rating but it was the lighter of the two 6’6” blue rods Garcia made then. Loved that rod - I had a Norris Shakespeare reel on it.

Post 11 Aug 2018, 07:07 • #9 
Piscator
On the rod in that photo is a Mitchell 440, only been out of the box for that photo, and to tinker a bit with the Ottomatic bail.
When the question came up on the forum, Garcia Conolon are probably the best long glass spinning rods made then - a toss up with Berkley.
I also have a blue Mitchell 410 with an aftermarket metal spool, and a notably smoother reel than the Mitchell 300 I fished through in high school (literally wore that reel out in 4 years fishing inshore and jetties).
I always recommend to people asking about old Mitchells to fish, to make sure they buy at least 400-series reels.

Last edited by bulldog1935 on 11 Aug 2018, 07:49, edited 1 time in total.

Post 11 Aug 2018, 07:31 • #10 
Master Guide
Wow ..... super nice set of reels !! Love those Penns, and the 304 - I've got a beat-up cherished 314 owned by an old man who taught me to bass fish. Those 440s were so revolutionary - that bail was a genius design. Sometimes I wished the 300 / 440/ etc series had the same gear design - but larger of course - as the 308 /408 series did.

Post 11 Aug 2018, 08:23 • #11 
Piscator
Thanks.
that's a CAP version 4 half-bail (1st model) with anti-reverse, c. 1949. I match it with a 5' Cortland rod, though my older daughter liked it best with the period 4' solid-glass Airex rod - she loved fishing the half-bail.
I've never found any use for the Ottomatic bail, but the NOS reel was a good buy - it's as much thought to push the bail down for it to pop open as it is to open it. Though with practice, can do it with your thumb, making for one-hand operation. I think it's more of a novelty, or we would see more of them.
The HS gearing on the 400 series makes less noise than the 300 reels, and the bail closure has an impact damper.
I bid a few 810 and 910 reels, but never acquired one. I would trade everything on the shelf for the Mk V Altex and Penn 716, though the post-'54 Luxor is a very close 3rd.

I'll be taking the 410 and blue rod to the coast in October for a dock-fishing loaner, along with the 716 and 6-1/2' H-I Star (great spinning rod - recently sold a MF70 because I like the H-I better).

ps - the big Sagarra in the back was the first skirted-spool reel, and they still make them today. An offshore workhorse.

Post 24 Sep 2018, 16:52 • #12 
Sport
i've fished the same Cardinal 4 for about 45 years, more or less. no spool failure ever, until, i had Dick's use a line spooling machine that put line on under pressure. a bit later that spool broke. also no failure other than paint wearing off winding cup after about 15 or twenty years. i've got lots of the cardinals from 3 thru 6/7. my go to/favorite reel of all time.

Post 25 Sep 2018, 17:30 • #13 
Piscator
line spooling machines are the worst.
I still use the phone book approach - route the line through the middle of a phone book - it's self-regulating, because the friction varies with the line diameter.
Problem is, so many people don't know what a phone book is anymore.

Post 02 Dec 2018, 16:42 • #14 
Sport
phone books and encyclopedias are what i use for thread tension when i build rods.

New Topic Add Reply