It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 14:30

New Topic Add Reply
Post 05 May 2018, 18:41 • #1 
Sport
I have some old level winds that I'd like to put into service. Old Shakespeare True Blues, model 1929's and some old Ocean City's. Will do some casting but mostly these reels will be used for freshwater trolling small crankbaits and spoons. Would braided Dacron or braided Nylon be more appropriate for these reels?

Post 05 May 2018, 20:48 • #2 
Piscator
The postwar line was "camo" braided nylon.

Of course prewar was braided silk, but current Gudebrod Meatmaster is a perfect substitute.

that said, the Gudebrod is probably going to be easier to find, and will work great.

Post 05 May 2018, 22:12 • #3 
Sport
Either line would be fine, as noted, nylon would be more historically correct.

Dacron is definitely the better choice for trolling, smaller diameter and much less stretch. The only advantage for nylon would be fishing surface lures or baits under floats, nylon floats, dacron sinks. The biggest problem I found with braided line is knot strength, super glue is your friend. If the line is hollow core, you can splice it, which is much better than using knots.

Woodstock makes a braided line which is very good. Personally, I like Cortland line the best, it's almost all I fish with.

Tim

Post 18 Jun 2018, 18:02 • #4 
Sport
I agree with all the above. Dacron was introduced in the mid-1950's but never supplanter Nylon until much later. My only problem with Dacron is that it tends to knife down into the spool when one sets the hook and that can play havoc with the next cast. For years I used Cortland Camo nylon but in more recent times have gone exclusively with Shakespeare Wexford braided nylon. None of the above are made anymore but a search on eBay sooner or later turns up the line I am looking for for my vintage reels. 10 lb test to 12lb test cast much better than larger lines. The reels I prefer to fish with these days are the Coxe 25N and the Pflueger Nobby. Night fishing in the dark finds me using the Pflueger Skilcast reel which can be adjusted to be nearly backlash free. I do a lot of night fishing and find any type of camouflage line much easier to untangle in the dark or by flashlight than the traditional black braided casting line.

New Topic Add Reply