It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 01:07

New Topic Add Reply
Post 28 Apr 2018, 13:32 • #1 
Sport
Picked up a like new Conolon casting rod. Has a metal knurled ring that you twist to secure the reel. When you twist the ring, a metal 'foot' extends or retracts. I have a like new vintage Shakespeare heavy duty spincast that I would like to put on this rod. The metal 'foot' will secure the reel foot enough that the reel will not fall off the rod but can still be shifted side to side a little bit. What am I over looking here? Seems like the rods reel seat should secure the reel a bit better.

The rod is a 2562T and the reel is a Shakespeare 1795. I also tried a Shakespeare 1928 level wind and the results were the same.

Post 28 Apr 2018, 16:15 • #2 
Sport
I use Abu Garcia reel foot covers (http://www.purefishing.jp/product/acc/a ... ver_M.html) to help protect my reels from scratches as well as to shim them on certain rods when the reels fit loosely on the rods' reel seats. A strip of leather or some other sort of sturdy, pliable material could also be used to shim your Shakespeare on your Conolon.

Post 30 Apr 2018, 13:42 • #3 
Sport
AlgonquinFan wrote:
I use Abu Garcia reel foot covers (http://www.purefishing.jp/product/acc/a ... ver_M.html) …

Thanks for that, haven't seen those before !

nunc

Post 05 May 2018, 18:35 • #4 
Sport
I ended up using some very thin 3m foam I had on hand under the reel foot. Reel locks in great now. Probably the same concept as the foremensioned Abu covers.

Post 06 May 2018, 13:05 • #5 
Sport
Excellent!

Post 27 May 2018, 19:48 • #6 
Guide
I use Dr. Scholl's "mole skin " pad mat'l cut into strips. It is already backed with adhesive. I believe the idea originally came from Bulldog.

Post 18 Jun 2018, 17:49 • #7 
Sport
I have the same problem with True Temper reel seats when paired with vintage Shakspeare and Pfluger casting reels from the 1940's -1960's. A small piece of leather around the front of the foot has always cured the problem for me. I carry a scrap of appropriate leather in my tackle box. Once in the wilderness of northern Canada, I substituted a small piece of my T-shirt and it did the job.

New Topic Add Reply