It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 00:27

New Topic Add Reply
Post 31 Mar 2018, 09:52 • #1 
Piscator
A couple to show off with the Lew's reels. Of course when you want an overcast day, can't get it.

The big Lami is an 8'2" steelhead rod, 2-pc, but a perfect inshore rod, especially from a kayak.
There are a few discounts out there on the Lami, so if you need a bait rod, look around.
Even though this is a big rod, it's light enough to fish. I like that it has 2 nuts on the reel seat, so you don't have to worry about your reel falling out with a day of long casts.
They were made in two lighter rods, probably for kokanee trolling, three heavier rods for steelhead.
I wish I could photo to show that beautiful chocolate brown blank - tried one in the sun, see if that helps

The Falcon Glass is the perfect bass rod - one piece - the model no. implies 6', but actually 3" under.
These are out of production for about 10 years, occasionally turn up on ebay - and a good-enough rod that it's worth setting up a search with e-mail alert.
I've fished Browning Silaflex, Lew's, Fenglas2000, but Falcon Glass is the best bass rod I have ever used.
I would recommend grabbing it if you find one.

ok, so the reels aren't quite so contemporary.
The Lew's SW25 has become a major collector's item - asking prices on ebay are $250-300.
I'm still going to fish it, but have a couple of other inshore bait reels to back it up.

Post 02 Apr 2018, 16:46 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
Bulldog
Thanks for posting the pics. I have no knowledge of bait fishing. I have seen a couple of threads and read a couple of articles, but it has taken all of my limited brain power to get kind of up to speed on fly fishing and then try to remember spin casting and bobber and worm...

That said I think bait gear is even cooler than fly gear.

Post 03 Apr 2018, 07:24 • #3 
Piscator
The history of baitcasting has been one of imagining solutions to prevent backlash on the spinning spool.
The process of baitcasting is one of educating your thumb to do this job, and especially to stop the spool when the bait hits the water.
In the very old days, backlash was controlled by imbalance in the spool - some people glued a nickel to the inside of their spool to create imbalance. Of course the price for every backlash control is cast distance.
Meek Bluegrass 33 with 8'3" 3/2 Chubb Henshall rod, c. 1910

a 3/8-oz casting weight and a baitcaster is more fun in your back yard than a fly rod (especially old non-level-wind reels with braided silk or nylon - Gudebrod Meat Master is the modern substitute) - though be warned, it's harder to see that little lead on a long cast over grass and back-dropped with shrubs than seeing a bass plug over the water.
Get started with side-arm casts and work on accuracy rather than distance - the distance will come later. Make smooth lobs without jerk.
My friend Marc (appgap) fishes 19-teens Shakespeare NLW reels when he goes bass-fishing with his BIL - even the low-grade Shakespeares from that decade are very good reels. If you want to take your old-style braided line fishing, you can loop-to-loop a short mono leader to tie on lures.
Something else with old NLW reels - you make sure you lay a good level wind when you spool them, and having a line winder around (to dry your braid) and restore your level wind, is a good idea.
Buzz-baits, jitterbugs - topwater lures are a hoot to fish on this tackle.
I do just a bit of this warmwater, too, but my favorite time for baitcasting is blind-fishing inshore, applications where a fly rod would be too much work - as opposed to sight-fishing, though, the bait tackle works well for that, too.

I broke down and bought a new (Korea) Lew's Super Duty and 7' graphite (China) inshore rod this month. Found a really good ebay price on the reel.
It's amazing how far it will cast 1/4-oz, and amazing how lightweight it is. They've really come a long way in the latest-generation reels on delivering line speed and controlling backlash - but you still need an educated thumb.

Post 03 Apr 2018, 20:09 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
Thanks for the info...I remember when I was 6 or 7 years old, I used my mom's Steel telescoping rod with a silver Shakespeare bait casting reel with a black line. I remember not casting, but just letting the wormed hook sink from the dock or small row boat with a neighbor kind enough to take me with him. I think we were fishing for bluegills. I seem to remember lots of tangles with that real...but I was very young and with no experience and it was only a couple of times that I can remember.

Post 04 Apr 2018, 15:55 • #5 
Sport
Cool stuff! The Super Duty uses a version of Abu’s magnetic brakes that were developed in the 1980’s. Lew’s and certain other brands’ reels get to share the braking design since they’re made by the same Korean OEM.

Post 06 Apr 2018, 06:42 • #6 
Piscator
Lew's reels have always been made by Shimano.
The original BB-1LMG from the 80s has mag control - I gave my dad his first back then, though then when I tried it, couldn't tell any difference with it.
The new Super Duty is the first mag reel I've ever owned. The main casting brake is still the centrifugal + end tension.
But the new mag brake is astounding, and you can see it work when you adjust it - I think it has much more mag power than the old design. It can actually compensate for jerk in your cast, but is also easier to fine-adjust than the end-tension.

All that said, the new low-profile reels just don't look right on a glass rod, but old-style Lew's sure do.

The Redifor from 1914 patented the first centrifugal casting brake. Pflueger snapped up the company right away.
It has two teardrop-shaped pawls inside the spool that rub on the frame rim.
Unfortunately, it worked too well, and really cuts out distance on this reel, but what a beautiful reel.
Image Image
kinda funny, their anti-backlash drawing shows the wrong side of the reel

The South Bend ABL bail mechanism, when properly adjusted, gives you an absolute no-thumbs reel.
You do have to use your thumb to begin the cast, but after you let it go, the spool will stop itself when the line stops.
As the line relaxes, the bail releases a wool pad against the inside of the spool, You adjust the stand-off and therefore the tension on the wool pad - it works - no thumbs.

Post 11 Apr 2018, 22:03 • #7 
Here is a rather skilled fellow with a modern, high-end Japanese fiberglass rod. New BFS reel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UFfDXSUAX1M

Post 12 Apr 2018, 08:13 • #8 
Piscator
fun stuff - that reel also has the conventional frame approach, which looks right (as opposed to the newer low-profile frames).

If somebody wants a bait rod with a bit of tip flex, I have a decent Silaflex I'd be willing to part with...
Browning model 910, 6' 2-pc, rated 6-lb test min, 1/4-oz min.

Post 22 Apr 2018, 10:24 • #9 
Glass Fanatic
Wow - FF9000 thanks for posting that video. Very cool.
That guy has a way with his setup... tons of practice.
Sure would be cool to see the 'Oops' video too :)

Post 30 Aug 2019, 17:42 • #10 
Piscator
It's kind of a long story, needing (ok, wanting) to fill a niche, it's my birthday present to me, Tica had my reel listed for half price, Tackle Direct was offering double reward points on the rod, which was enough to get me $40 off on my handheld VHF/GPS.

St. Croix Legend Glass LGS72MM, 7'2" medium (leaning toward MH)
I already have a wonderful 9' Lami G1000 Pro ML for casting the light stuff out of sight.
My niche on this 7'2" one-pc S-glass is 1/4- to 3/8-oz from a kayak, and 5/8- to 7/8-oz jigs and hard baits from the dock for snook in the dark without having to think about baitcaster backlash.
The action of the rod is fabulous, very well balanced and light in hand, and it's beautifully appointed.
(the fast action really reminds me of the 7' Berkley Tri-Sport I grew up fishing, but the Legend is a fraction of the weight of that 70s 2-pc e-glass rod with its metal spigot ferrule and giant-loop wire guides)
braid- and salt-proof guides - they're the small Fuji K tangle-free guides
It was Tica on Amazon that kicked me over the top. Libra SX is the best $95 reel you can buy.
They occasionally drop the Libra SX3000 price to $50, so I snagged it. I can have both this rod and my Lami going at the same time - great for lure change-up Arroyo fishing - and I still have a spare spool. This frame is also the larger capacity SX3500, and the spools interchange - a larger capacity spare spool may be my next addition.
The spooled line is blue because I have 150-yds YoZuri 15-lb braid underneath, with a working 75 yards or so of 12-lb Seaguar Abrazx fluoro on top.

and the radio
the DSC radio is cool, because if you fall overboard it sends out an all ships discress call and they can see your location by GPS, pleasure boats navigating with DSC and ships navigating with AIM see you on their nav screens, the Coast Guard has all your contact info in their database, you can set up private intercom with other DSC radios, and see each other on your GPS.

And I'll still take out the Lami Classic Glass and Lew's Saltwater in my opening post for drift fishing from the power boat - it was the only rod I fished from the boat last fall, and it was a joy.

Last edited by bulldog1935 on 31 Aug 2019, 05:53, edited 1 time in total.

Post 30 Aug 2019, 18:58 • #11 
Master Guide
Happy birthday and thanks for sharing!!
As your beginning post described, im going to eventually want to look for a glass vintage steelhead/salmon rod for my kayak.

Nice setup all around!

Post 30 Aug 2019, 21:04 • #12 
Piscator
thanks - the St. Croix Legend Glass is also made in matching bait rods, but the Lami Classic Glass is much more moderately priced.
The St. Croix has a 15-year warranty. In casting rods, St. Croix offers a 7'4" MH, and 8'8" H, as well as shorter 6'10" M in both baitcast and spin.

Casting into the dark, spinning is always an advantage over baitcasting, because you can't see the lure hit and be certain about applying your thumb brake.
Not replacing this rod, but supplementing it...

Last edited by bulldog1935 on 31 Aug 2019, 07:04, edited 1 time in total.

Post 30 Aug 2019, 22:37 • #13 
Master Guide
FF900.

Thanks for posting that link. That is some of the most skillful 'pocket-picking' I have seen with any tackle -- but with bait casting its a marvel.!!!

Here is another link that shows how he preps his reels and lures for that fine work.

Heddonist

Post 02 Sep 2019, 10:42 • #14 
Piscator
he made a part-month drive by 15 months ago, and hasn't been back.

I guess some people want to take baitcasters trout fishing and into creeks for panfish, but a fly rod is so perfect for that.
Bass fishing, steelhead, inshore, and any blind fishing, the contemporary S-glass rods are way beyond the old stuff, not entirely because of light weight.
Even in the 70s, they were re-thinking tapers on these rods (Speed Stik and Lunker Stik) and began making one-pc rods or at least one-pc blades for the weight and taper advantage.

Post 13 Sep 2019, 00:48 • #15 
Spammer
They look amazing, especially Lami. I wanted to go fishing, I wish I could go there soon :(

Post 14 Sep 2019, 04:40 • #16 
Piscator
Thanks Liam, and welcome to the forum.
I love the rod, and will take it back to the Texas Tropics for 5 days around the Oct new moon - with my Lew's BB-25SW will also be my choice combo for drift-fishing from the power boat.
This time we're adding a 4th fisherman and bringing two small lightweight kayaks, so we'll be able to drop two at the wind end of the really skinny water, two in the power boat drift fish the deeper flat, and pick up the kayaks at the lee end.
Example just above is Green Island, where the kayaks can drift and wade the redfish-rich skinnier water on the far side of the island.
I'll be bringing the new St. Croix above for probable time in the kayak, and of course will be taking a fly rod out for the wading.
The St. Croix is especially the choice rig for snook off the dock.

Post 20 Sep 2019, 11:13 • #17 
Sport
His casts make me think about Erne St. Claire's casts described in the Modern Science of Spin-Fishing.

Post 07 Nov 2019, 06:38 • #18 
Glass Fanatic
As usual, Ron. great stuff!
I gotta be the most inept person with a casting reel in the Universe!

Post 07 Nov 2019, 12:28 • #19 
Piscator
Lou put a Zebco bullet on a Lami GP86MTC (G1000 Pro 8'6', mag taper, medium lure weight), and it fished awesome for him and Susie both at Arroyo last weekend.

Post 19 Nov 2019, 07:33 • #20 
Piscator
another E-glass to show - this was on my want list for next summer
TackleDirect had this model on sale for 30% off when I narrowed my wish list down to two rods. I wanted an offshore ML spinning rod to go with the Stradic 4000 and cast lures to surface action with 15-lb braid (while trolling 20- and 30-lb bait rods deep).

Had it narrowed down to this rod and a little more expensive Jigging World Shogun (light graphite) - both rods were the right line weight, and this rod a bit lighter line and lure - 12-20-lb line, 1/4-2-oz lures.
Finally decided I wanted the glass, and now just happens to be a good time for me to buy. Got up in the morning, and the sale price was gone on this model (now 20% more than the JW), with a few heavier rods in the TD offshore rod series on the new weekly specials.

So I called, and they gave me the sale price.
It's not pretty unless function wins out for you, and you think about the kind of bruising fish it's targeting.
While the e-glass blank diameters and handle diameters are all pretty big, not as light as the JW graphite, and wouldn't want to blind-fish it on the flats, it's light-enough in hand for an opportunity rod, and well-balanced. They call the action moderate-slow, and it does have a forgiving tip for the light line rating, which also gives it the light lure capability.

big Fuji 3-leg stainless, deep-pressed frame, aluminum oxide guides - identified as HNOG - and nothing out there can break this rod, though I may go for a long ride at 3-1/4-lb drag set

Post 19 Nov 2019, 08:05 • #21 
Glass Fanatic
Looks great. Fuji guides are very good indeed. I've used the Alconite-ring LNAG guides as strippers on a few rods now.

Post 19 Nov 2019, 08:43 • #22 
Piscator
Thanks. Great choice for a stripping guide. The O guides are budget, but there's nothing cheap about those guide frames or insert mounting - they designed them to survive bending under big loads and rod flex.

Post 19 Nov 2019, 08:52 • #23 
Glass Fanatic
Agree. Fuji looks to have a solid manufacturing process that turns out quality guides at low cost.

Post 13 May 2020, 08:32 • #24 
Piscator
Adding to this thread, Crowder makes a moderately priced ($120) E-glass series in inshore spinning, casting and offshore conventional, and TackleDirect sells them.
This one happens to be their IM6 E-series Lite.
Crowder blanks are USA-made.

Tackle Direct also sells a very nice, inexpensive IM6 line in their Silver Hook series.

Learned this morning Lami still makes Classic Glass bait rods, but discontinued spinning.
But good news, St. Croix offers a lower-cost (offshore) glass rod in their Mojo Bass Glass spinning (1pc)

New Topic Add Reply