It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 17:10

New Topic Add Reply
Post 10 Dec 2017, 05:58 • #1 
Sport
I put together a 'new' UL rig. I don't know much about Pastor and Co but it looks like they did decent work. This is my first Cardinal and it is a smooth little reel. My UL Penn was not quite UL enough to feel right on this little rod. Is it spring yet?

Post 10 Dec 2017, 11:19 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
Embrace the spiral wrap :)

I love the looks of that. It looks like it might be a Silaflex rod manufactured for Pastor. Right era, right geography. But most of those old spinning rods look a like to me.

Post 10 Dec 2017, 16:33 • #3 
Master Guide
I've had the odd Sila-Flex and such with spiral wraps, and I highly recommend adding an overcoat of thinned varnish to the wraps, as they dry out and get frizzy and fray very easily. Oh, and that's a sweet set-up!
Shrimpster

Last edited by Shrimpman on 11 Dec 2017, 14:19, edited 1 time in total.

Post 10 Dec 2017, 18:33 • #4 
Guide
That is a sweet setup, the first guide on your rod is turned backwards from the others, this must be correct? because I have a Conolon that also has the first guide backwards!

Post 10 Dec 2017, 20:02 • #5 
Grey Ghost wrote:
That is a sweet setup, the first guide on your rod is turned backwards from the others, this must be correct? because I have a Conolon that also has the first guide backwards!

The guides are indeed correct. The stripping guide faces the way it does else you'd have line coming off the relatively large diameter of a spinning reel spool slapping against the long leg/foot of these type of guides. Once the line is through this first guide, that problem is eliminated.

Post 11 Dec 2017, 08:11 • #6 
Piscator
looks like a choice combo - I've never done the Abu/Zebco Cardinals, but they're excellent reels with a huge fan club.

I bet you can search background on Pastor and Co. fly rods on the collecting forum.

Post 11 Dec 2017, 11:22 • #7 
Sport
I like the rig, especially the three piece configuration. I have fished the Cardinal reels my whole life and they are hard to beat. I have one fished since the 1980's and it is still going strong. Enjoy.

Post 11 Dec 2017, 14:16 • #8 
Glass Fanatic
big following of those reels here also.know a guy who repairs them and other vintage reels.the rod looks very well made.

New Topic Add Reply