It is currently 20 Apr 2024, 05:38

New Topic Add Reply
Is There Hope?
Post 23 Oct 2017, 11:01 • #1 
Glass Fanatic
I have a Mitchell 300 reel that I bought about 1970 or '71. It got dropped and the foot broke. The break is clean, with no chip-outs. I've thought of trying to fix it with some JB Weld, but don't know how I'd clamp it during cure. Does anyone have ideas about how to save this reel? It's in otherwise great shape.

Re: Is There Hope?
Post 23 Oct 2017, 11:18 • #2 
Piscator
it's a pot metal casting, probably no hope.
um, there are a lot better reels made
Penn 714

Post 23 Oct 2017, 11:26 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
bulldog1935 wrote:
it's a pot metal casting, probably no hope.
um, there are a lot better reels made
Penn 714

Yes, I thought it looked like sintered "White metal," as we used to call it. Lots of voids in the casting.

Thanks, will look for the Penn. No hurry; I do almost no spin fishing now.

Post 23 Oct 2017, 14:19 • #4 
Sport
I had one given to me with the same break. I ordered a used body and swapped out the parts. There are tons of Mitchell parts out there. I've rebuilt several broken reels on the cheap.

Post 23 Oct 2017, 18:06 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
trout caster wrote:
I had one given to me with the same break. I ordered a used body and swapped out the parts. There are tons of Mitchell parts out there. I've rebuilt several broken reels on the cheap.

Thanks, troutcaster. I may do that. I also think I'll hack the foot off, glue the piece on, and use it for a reel seat alignment sight. The glue joint should have strength enough for that.

Post 23 Oct 2017, 18:36 • #6 
Sport
Yeah, a replacement housing would be Mitchell part # 81025, which can be bought NOS from a few online stores and eBay for about $15.00-$20.00. Don't know how easy or hard it would be to transfer all of the other parts from your reel to a new housing, though.

Post 23 Oct 2017, 18:48 • #7 
Glass Fanatic
If it has sentimental value, I’d try one of these ideas:

Try drilling and tapping the broken off part for a 4/40 or 2-56 thread and see how it works.

If it is OK, fabricate another “side” of the foot out of an old fly reel foot or a piece of curved steel long enough to secure to the unbroken half with a couple of counter sunk flathead machine screws, paint it dark blue and go fishin’.

If that doesn’t suit you, make a curved “splint” out of a piece of curved steel (maybe a piece cut from ½” EMT) to straddle the break. Drill, tap and screw in place on both sides. Paint it dark blue and go fishin’…

…or JB Weld the splint instead of screwing it.

Obviously replacing the body is the best solution and swapping out the parts is a piece of cake, but I think that’s where the serial number is if that matters at all to you.

Post 24 Oct 2017, 08:55 • #8 
Glass Fanatic
All good suggestions, thanks! I'll try the splint. If that doesn't work I'll go to the reel-seat sight application and maybe go up to Rick's Rods to see if I can get another body for the innards. The serial # isn't important, as I don't think these reels are highly valuable. If it dated from, say, the '50s, then I might think differently.

Meanwhile, a Penn 714z wouldn't be too expensive, maybe $60-$70.

Post 24 Oct 2017, 10:30 • #9 
Piscator
My thinking is my 35-y-o Penn 4400SS caught all Jay's fish on our recent Rockport trip (and has also caught kings and jacks), while my Mitchell 300 from high school was shot by college for the same fishing.

Post 24 Oct 2017, 12:38 • #10 
Glass Fanatic
bulldog1935 wrote:
My thinking is my 35-y-o Penn 4400SS caught all Jay's fish on our recent Rockport trip (and has also caught kings and jacks), while my Mitchell 300 from high school was shot by college for the same fishing.

That's a good testimonial.

Post 28 Oct 2017, 09:15 • #11 
Guide
Tomah, I have several 300's I would be glad to send you one you can use for a new frame and other parts. Just PM me your address.

Post 28 Oct 2017, 17:41 • #12 
Master Guide
Quote:
Obviously replacing the body is the best solution and swapping out the parts is a piece of cake, but I think that’s where the serial number is if that matters at all to you.

Yep, if I had a reel for 47 years and it broke cause I dropped it, I just get a new part and still have the memories and make even more. I wouldn't junk it.

New Topic Add Reply