It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 06:46

New Topic Add Reply
Post 26 Sep 2017, 09:35 • #1 
Sport
This is from my Grandad's estate and appears to have the Costa Mesa logo on it but the model numbers are heavily worn. It has a straight cork handle with rings, medium action, spinning guides and is about 7.5' long. It came with a Heddon Spin Pal reel that I posted about in the reel forums and I'm also wondering if it's safe to use braided line with these guides.

Post 28 Sep 2017, 06:20 • #2 
Piscator
I wouldn't use modern braided lines with those guides.
I recommend copolymer, and the best I've tried is Seaguar Senshi
(though I really like Kamikaze lines from Australia)
(I can tell you to specifically avoid Berkley Fireline copolymer).
The nice thing about copolymer, it's soft and tough on the surface, and strong and hard beneath.

If you show the ferrules, we can probably narrow the date, and I'm guessing this rod is from the 60s, if not older.

Post 02 Oct 2017, 22:15 • #3 
Sport
Ferrule shot.

Post 04 Oct 2017, 18:51 • #4 
Piscator
Definitely late 60s

Post 06 Oct 2017, 22:57 • #5 
Master Guide
My guess is a SP75L, which I believe translates to: Spinning rod, 7.5 feet, Light.
I have a similar 2-piece rod, with the same ferrules, in my garage somewhere.

Post 15 Oct 2017, 20:20 • #6 
Sport
I wound 200 yds (!) of 10 lb P-Line fluoro on it and took it out today. I'll say that I can see why auto bails were invented for spin reels because this thing is quite the pain to use. The rod is a bit of a noodle, definitely not suited for setting the hook on multiple pound bass. Maybe better for finessing trout on 6-8 lb line. All that said I caught a couple of nice fish and enjoyed learning how spin fishing used to be.

Post 19 Oct 2017, 09:04 • #7 
Piscator
the guys fishing XUL take their flip-bail reels and turn them into that, but I have no problems with bails - they work great.
Hardy Exalta has a stem that can be flipped, and would really take advantage of that handle/reel-seat configuration, here on a Phillipson Registered S70, using the patent sliding seat moved all the way to the back.

Post 22 Oct 2017, 22:37 • #8 
Master Guide
USCATX wrote:
I wound 200 yds (!) of 10 lb P-Line fluoro on it and took it out today. I'll say that I can see why auto bails were invented for spin reels because this thing is quite the pain to use. The rod is a bit of a noodle, definitely not suited for setting the hook on multiple pound bass. Maybe better for finessing trout on 6-8 lb line. All that said I caught a couple of nice fish and enjoyed learning how spin fishing used to be.

Nice!

New Topic Add Reply