It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 15:46

New Topic Add Reply
Post 16 Sep 2017, 14:08 • #1 
Glass Fanatic
Most of us have probably done it at one point. That is slap on a spinning reel on a fly rod when either water conditions dictate spin fishing, throw out a float with garden hackle and take a snooze, or etc....

Regardless of reason or method of attaching spin reel, my question is how much force over time would eventually cause line grooving in a snake guide?

Let's hypothetically say a fly rod is fished 10% (2 out of 20 hours/week) of the time with a spin reel and catching blue gills/bass at a good rate. Good rate being 1 bluegill per 10 minutes. Hey bream love garden hackle!

Would that be enough to groove chrome snakes?

Post 17 Sep 2017, 04:48 • #2 
Piscator
Guide wear is a definite problem if you're trying to cast distance with a spinning reel on a fly rod.
Less so if you're using the reel primarily for line storage and doing something akin to pole fishing.
In the 50s they made Colorado reels for free-lining bait with a fly rod, essential the same thing as the type of drift fishing traditionally done with a centrepin reel ("steelheading").

Backing up to the pole fishing idea. I suspect even Theodore Gordon bait-fished with his fly rod.
In the "golden age" people didn't collect tackle like we do today. They were lucky to have one rod and reel, and used it for all their fishing. With braided lines, you waxed them only if you were going dry-fly fishing.

I remember fishing with my uncle. He had a fly rod with an auto reel and doubtful that he ever used it as a fly rod - he used it as a long reach pole for crappie fishing.

Post 25 Sep 2017, 07:52 • #3 
I actually use those Colorado reels and have collected a few over the years. Where the line comes out I have never seen a groove or signs of wear so far. But spinning reel makers have always made a big deal out of making special hardened guides for the bail or even use a roller so there must be a reason for that. This same question came up on another forum where someone was wanting to put a center pin reel on a switch rod. Like I said, I use Humphreys reels and Johnson 80's and Fre Lines and I also strap spinning reels to fly rods - so far I haven't noticed any problem. Most likely, if you groove a guide the first thing you will notice is lines breaking. For what it's worth, my Humphreys reel on a fly rod can cast just as far as my Mitchell 309 with a vintage fiberglass rod.
https://images.fiberglassflyrodders.com/u/1/pi/i7x3yt1e1~0712172014.jpg

New Topic Add Reply