It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 10:27

New Topic Add Reply
Conolon airflite 6'6"
Post 29 Jul 2017, 11:40 • #1 
Guide
I just received a pre garcia narmco conolon spin/fly combo. Or so it was claimed to be in the description. It's a good looking rod for its age. Everything is straight and looks to be ready for more years of service.
My question is how to tell if it's really a combo rod if there aren't any markings to indicate such? The label only reads "conolon live fiber airflite 6307-66R". The grip is fairly long and looks like some other spin/fly combos I've seen.
Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Post 29 Jul 2017, 13:14 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
I would guess it's just a spinning rod with a Tennessee grip. I've done conversions on old spinning rods with sliding rings into pure fly rods (reuse the cork, turn it down in the rear and put a fly reel seat on it, but I redo the guides with snake guides instead of spinning guides.

I would put a 6wt line on it and see how it casts. If it casts well, it's a spinfly rod. Otherwise it's a spinning rod :)

Post 03 Aug 2017, 02:23 • #3 
Guide
I think you're right. I'm OK with it not being a combo. If it was longer, I would consider making it more of a dual purpose. Now I just gotta find a reel to match with it.

New Topic Add Reply