It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 17:47

New Topic Add Reply
Post 16 Jul 2017, 15:57 • #1 
Sport
I will be building my first spinning rod soon. I've done several fly rods, but never a spinning rod. What are my options for guides? Most of the modern options look like single foot, but I think double foot looks better. The blank is a NOS (new old stock) Garcia fiberglass 4' 10". Is there a brand or style anyone recommends? Thank you for the help.

Post 16 Jul 2017, 18:53 • #2 
Vintage ultralight rod? Definitely non-fouling (or foul proof) guides. You can find these pretty much everywhere.

Post 18 Jul 2017, 05:15 • #3 
Master Guide
I just finished my first baitcaster. A friend broke his and I just happened to have a blank laying around, so I put on a new grip and reel seat, re-using his guides. I'll not do single foot guides again unless my back is to the wall and a gun at my head.

BB

Post 19 Jul 2017, 07:13 • #4 
Master Guide
LoL, I have a Garcia Conolon 5' ultra light rod, I think its a 2121-c (the 1st number is partial), even has sliding bands on a cork reel seat to keep it light. Here's the curious part ..... the chrome guides are all BRACED !!!

Every last one of them ... not just the largest, ALL of them ... has a brace spanning / connecting the 2 guide feet and guide loop !!! On an ultra light rod. Go figure.

I had to re-wrap the guides and discovered they were under- wrapped to protect the blank ... I understand why. It was the most complicated re-wrap I've ever done; the largest guide required 11 (eleven) separate wraps to duplicate the original trim pattern.

But, I love fishing with the rod & my old Mitchell 308 reel.

Post 25 Jul 2017, 15:02 • #5 
Guide
The REC recoil guides look old school but are absolutely top notch. They are available in single or double foot.

New Topic Add Reply