It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 16:44

New Topic Add Reply
Post 02 Jul 2017, 20:14 • #1 
Master Guide
Hi, First time on the spinning page for me. I was curious about entry level glass rods for my daughter. ...to fish not collect. I was thinking about Garcias since that's what we used when I was young. She's twelve and will join me sometimes when I go out and she started inquiring about getting her own rod. I want to strike when the iron's hot. Thanks for your responses. Steve

Post 03 Jul 2017, 00:40 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
I looked around on ebay and found the rod I used as a kid---a blue Garcia Conolon, 6'6" light action. It brings back memories but weighs a ton. Look for the four or five star Conolons.

Post 03 Jul 2017, 08:43 • #3 
Master Guide
I appreciate that recommendation. I realize I didn't even consider what would be a good length and especially weight. I'll look at the weight of the the rod I've been letting her borrow and see how it matches up with any Garcias I can find. We'll be using it to throw lures for smallmouths.

Post 03 Jul 2017, 10:01 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
Whichever you select, I'd recommend a spinning rod and an underspin reel. It naturally balances the reel under the rod, is easier to use than a spinning reel, and gets young'uns to practice winding with the hand they would use to wind a fly reel when they are ready for that. The Daiwa US 80XD is a good one (not the 40). The Abu is nice but more expensive and the Pflueger is decent too.

Post 03 Jul 2017, 12:52 • #5 
Master Guide
C.B.Thanks for that. I apologize for being a little lazy with my initial post but yes, I have a Garcia Mitchell 301 that I'd like to use with the rod. However, I will look at the 80XD.

When I go out now, I've been using an older 6' 6" rod - looks like a Fenwick or Garcia with the wraps above the handle (but it's made in Taiwan I think?). Works great for bass, shad, sunfish and I'm using it with another old Mitchell reel. They were my dad's and my mother wanted me to take them after he passed so I'm glad I'm able to put them to use. The Mitchells are the only spinning reels we ever had or used. Some of the guys I bump into fishing now give me a good-natured hard time about using antiques.

Post 03 Jul 2017, 13:05 • #6 
Master Guide
Here we go

ImageImage

Post 03 Jul 2017, 13:16 • #7 
Master Guide
...and from last spring. One of the regulars had a boga grip at the ready for her.
Now if I could only find those boots in my size.

Post 15 Jul 2017, 05:25 • #8 
Master Guide
I advocate starting off youngsters with simple, bulletproof gear. Either a closed face underspin or a spin-casting rig will get them fishing with little worry of tackle problems so they can concentrate on the ins and outs of learning how to actually fish.

My first spinning rig was a South Bend 1400 underspin reel and a Shakespeare Wonderrod in 1957. About as trouble free as one could want. I managed to put together this same outfit a few years ago and it's a very enjoyable rig to fish with.

BB

Post 19 Jul 2017, 07:53 • #9 
Piscator
In order to make a recommendation, kind of need to know age and type of fishing.
For small creeks, bait and bobbers (even pier fishing for nursery seatrout), started my girls with Eagle Claw Featherlight and Zebco UL-1 and 11 spincasters. My girls were catching fish on these at 3- and 4-y-o.
For the small creek fishing, my older daughter made a 4-1/2' airex rod with prewar half-bail luxor into hers.
Also famous among the girls was Penn 4200SS U/L with a Falcon UL graphite rod, and swapped rods to a 6'6" Falcon graphite for serious inshore.

Post 02 Aug 2017, 20:44 • #10 
Master Guide
Thanks everyone for the replies. Regarding age, my daughter's 12 and she's been going out with me for a few years now - mostly smallmouths and sunfish. Anyways, I settled on a 6' 6" glass Daiwa to go with a Mitchell 301.

Post 02 Aug 2017, 21:19 • #11 
Master Guide
...alright, help please. I forgot how to make these thumbnails larger than this. Ok Here we go.

and a shad from last spring

Last edited by Frank Longcast on 02 Aug 2017, 21:42, edited 1 time in total.

Post 02 Aug 2017, 21:26 • #12 
Master Guide
and the new/old rod and reel

New Topic Add Reply