It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 15:57

New Topic Add Reply
Post 02 Jun 2017, 08:40 • #1 
Guide
I used to catch small rainbows in the creeks flowing into Lake Huron years ago when I lived up there on small Mepps type spinners. If any of you fish in the small creeks and steams and creeks in the mountains of eastern Tennessee and western North Carolina, do you ever use small spinners? Any success?
Joe

Post 03 Jun 2017, 05:49 • #2 
Master Guide
Sure, they will work, but I've not tried them on a fly rod, though. My favorite trout lure for a spinning rod is a Swedish Pimple with the little red doo dad hanging from the ring.

BB

Post 03 Jun 2017, 20:30 • #3 
Guide
I have had success with Joe's Flies spinners mainly in the muddler and green/yellow with trout,sunfish and small bass.

Post 04 Jun 2017, 10:17 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
My buddy swears by Blue Fox spinners which is all he uses for trout.

I was a Panther Martin aficionado in the day and caught my first spinner-caught trout on a Panther Martin and some Abu "French" spinners with rippled blades. I still tote size 0 & 00 Mepps spinners and some other goodies in my spinning kit for the rare occasions when I spin fish for trout.

BTW - I never could manage to catch a thing on a Mepps Black Fury or Mepps "minnow" spinner despite being convinced I needed them in my arsenal. C.P./Swiss Swings and Rooster Tails were equally ineffective for me.

Other things I used successfully for trout were tiny Castmasters, Phoebes, Dardevles and a really small Lazy Ike. These days Rapala X-Raps have filled the void for tiny Ikes.

FWIW - Hildebrandt Flicker Spinners can be easily cast on a fly rod. I've seen my nephew clobber trout on them when they ignored streamers.

Post 05 Jun 2017, 11:50 • #5 
Guide
C P Swing was and is my favorite spinner for Trout. I caught more Trout on those than all others combined.

Post 06 Jun 2017, 05:28 • #6 
Master Guide
Bamboozle wrote:
My buddy swears by Blue Fox spinners which is all he uses for trout.

I was a Panther Martin aficionado in the day and caught my first spinner-caught trout on a Panther Martin and some Abu "French" spinners with rippled blades. I still tote size 0 & 00 Mepps spinners and some other goodies in my spinning kit for the rare occasions when I spin fish for trout.

BTW - I never could manage to catch a thing on a Mepps Black Fury or Mepps "minnow" spinner despite being convinced I needed them in my arsenal. C.P./Swiss Swings and Rooster Tails were equally ineffective for me.

Other things I used successfully for trout were tiny Castmasters, Phoebes, Dardevles and a really small Lazy Ike. These days Rapala X-Raps have filled the void for tiny Ikes.

FWIW - Hildebrandt Flicker Spinners can be easily cast on a fly rod. I've seen my nephew clobber trout on them when they ignored streamers.

RE: Black Fury and Minnow...I agree. Having amassed quite a collection of Mepps spinners over the years, I have come to the conclusion there is a lot of hype connected with them. I'm sure they all catch fish at one time or another, but the mystique seems greater than the practice, if you know what I mean.

BB

Post 12 Jun 2017, 13:58 • #7 
Glass Fanatic
Back in my youth, I did have quite a bit of success with spinners and other trout-sized lures. Here are a few, most dating from the '50s and early '60s.

Here's a well-used Abu, with (going clockwise) a Super Duper, EGB (France), and Pflueger Patrol, the last so scraped up that I tried to repaint it:

My most-productive trout lure, the Baby Cobra:

But my favorite, sized more for beer cans than a trout's maw, is this Heddon lure (I use the term advisedly):

Post 15 Jun 2017, 09:15 • #8 
Glass Fanatic
Nothing like opening a can of beer and getting impaled with a treble hook at the same time!

Post 21 Jun 2017, 10:48 • #9 
Piscator
I make my own single-hook barbless spinners for guests I take to the Guadalupe tailwater.
The same cost for buying 4 Mepps will get parts from Cabelas to make 50

A deadly lure for any fish are tiny plastic jigs (1/16 oz), and blends of silver, green, sand, and motor oil is the color for gin-clear water

Post 21 Jun 2017, 11:40 • #10 
Sport

Post 21 Jun 2017, 17:48 • #11 
Glass Fanatic
Caught and killed bunches of trout on Mepps size 0 in my youth (younger than 40). If you plan on eating them treble hooks great. If plan on letting them go single hooks might be better idea.

Barry

Post 21 Jun 2017, 18:07 • #12 
Glass Fanatic
Forgot all about these until topic came up. Wife had me stop at a yard sale the other day when they were getting ready to shut down.

Mostly bass sizes: 25 Mepps, 3 CP Swings and 4 Rooster Tails.

Barry

Post 21 Jun 2017, 18:17 • #13 
Glass Fanatic
GRASSNGLASS wrote:
Caught and killed bunches of trout on Mepps size 0 in my youth (younger than 40). If you plan on eating them treble hooks great. If plan on letting them go single hooks might be better idea.

Barry

Back in the day when I fished with spinning tackle for trout, I'd used to cut off two of the three hooks on my treble hooks when I just couldn't simply replace the treble hook with a single as in dressed treble hook spinners.

While it had a minor effect on the action of the spinner, it reduced snags by a huge margin and didn't make a difference in hook-ups.

Post 29 Jul 2017, 13:17 • #14 
Sport
My go to,is a Rapala X-rap in glass ghost. Or a f-3 or f-5 floater in rainbow trout. Pa trout aren't very savvy until or if they live long enough to get smart.

Post 19 Aug 2017, 20:22 • #15 
Sport
Smallest Rapala X -rap in Glass ghost is my go- to trout lure

New Topic Add Reply