It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 05:34

New Topic Add Reply
Eagle Claw Superlight
Post 27 May 2017, 12:47 • #1 
Guide
Does anyone have and use an Eagle Claw Superlight FL 209 9 footer? They are rated for light lines (4 to 8 lb test). Seems like it would be a blast to use on smaller fish. Heck, it would be a blast on larger fish too. Anyway, if you have one, what has been your experience with it and how do you like it?
Joe

Post 02 Nov 2017, 12:52 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
I have that rod in an 8 ft length. I used it a lot in Sept and Oct this year. I have an Eagle Claw open face made in Italy that I have had since my youth.

Worked out to be a great rig for over grown stocked brookies in the lake. The fish averaged 14 inches with some going 18. Lots of fun to work.

The rod was up to the challenge and had a lot of feel and "Touch". I was using Panther Martin Spinners with the barbs crimped. I could feel the fish testing the spinners and the takes were solid feeling clear into the grip. The rod cast fine and I am thinking the 9 ft would even be better at distance.

Post 12 Nov 2017, 10:06 • #3 
Piscator
What you're describing is a light Steelhead rod, and that's also my preference for drift-fishing a kayak on skinny salt flats.

Texas coast, behind the barrier islands, has 15,000 sq-mi of flats less than 2' deep and with turtle grass covering the bottom.
The way you fish with a kayak is paddle upwind to a barrier on a rising tide, stake out and wade. The fish on the flats always feed upwind, and if you're on the rising tide, you stand a good chance of the gamefish beating baitfish against your feet.
When that's all done, we put out a drift sock and blind-fish home.
Long light rods are perfect for drifting, because you can throw light baits and control them - keep them out of the grass.
(If you're fishing the salt right, you're always casting downwind)
My spinning rod on the front rod holder is a 9' Lami, rated for 6-10 lb, and 1/8-3/8-oz.
(note I have a medium-salt spinning reel with enough line for big fish)

New Topic Add Reply