It is currently 20 Apr 2024, 05:40

New Topic Add Reply
Post 18 May 2017, 14:03 • #1 
Guide
Anyone ever use a Shakespeare Model 1810 spinning reel on a fly rod? They also made other models that were similar such as the 1954, 1730, 1745, 1750, 1756, and possibly some others. I know several Michigan steelhead fishermen who use long noodle rods with the 1810 reels and very light mono line. The drags on these reels are superb and unlike the drag system on any other reel I have used. They are closed faced, but hang under the rod like a traditional spinning reel but that's where the similarity ends. Shakespeare used to make a 7' rod that was made specifically for this reel. It was too awkward for a regular spinning reel but just right for the 1810 (and the similar ones). They work great with a fly rod also. I sometimes will use an 1810 with a fly rod. Don't think it is sacrilege because it is not; just another way to utilize your fly rod as I see it. I was once fishing in Sarasota Bay with a fly rod. I also had an 1810 set up on a fly rod rigged with a with a white rubber jig next to me in the boat. Suddenly a school of jacks were busting a pod of minnows. I grabbed the 1810 set up and started throwing the jig into the school of jacks. It was fish after fish as fast as I could cast until the jacks moved on. Great fun.
Joe

Post 26 May 2017, 08:32 • #2 
Guide
I can't believe it. 89 views and not one reply. I guess I'm the only one. The 1810 and it's clones (or maybe the 1810 is a clone of one of the others) takes me back to the 60's when as a boy I would go to the department stores and droll and wish for the white Shakespeare rods, both fly and spinning. Add to this equation Scientific Angler's fly line, Medalist fly and Mitchell 300 and 304 spinning reels. Back then I could not afford any of those and my parents who were not into fishing would not even talk about getting any of it for me. Now that I can afford some of this stuff, most of it is used only and in pretty bad shape. But, sometimes you can find things in nearly pristine condition and I have learned how to work on them and restore them and get them back into fishable condition.
Joe

Post 26 May 2017, 17:24 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
I'm surprised, too, so I moved this to the "another spin . . ." section and we'll see. Personally, I was never big on using any kind of spinning reel on a fly rod, mainly because the mono line is very hard on guides. Once the least amount of grooving starts, no big deal for a lot of spin fishing, but that's the end of casting fly line--it'll still cast, but the line will be damaged in no time. The "noodle rod" on a fly rod blank with ceramic guide makes double duty more feasible, but still, what little spin fishing I do, I'll use a spinning rod.

Post 26 May 2017, 20:31 • #4 
Guide
Remember that I said that Shakespeare made 7' spinning rod that was designed specifically for the Model 1810 reel and it's counterparts. That alone could be the reason that these reels never caught on like they should have. No other spinning reel has a drag that is as smooth. If other companies would have made rods designed for these reels and if Shakespeare had made more lengths and actions, these reels would have caught on. However, rods with sliding rings instead of a fixed reel seat, and rods with a moveable reel seat will work with these reels. And guys can custom make their own rods from blanks that would work with these reels. I believe another down fall of these reels was the closed face. Most people equated them to cheap ladies and kids closed faced reels.
That is like comparing a Jaguar to a Volkswagen.
Joe

Post 18 Aug 2020, 04:58 • #5 
Hi,
Not sure if your still active on this forum. I really appreciated your thoughts and opinions on the 1810 Shakespeare reel. I had no knowledge of this reel and a friend wanted me to sell it for him. I was intrigued by the reel and started digging on the internet and I think I will keep it. Then after reading your piece, I needed to find the correct rod. Looks like a SP 508 , SP 905 and a SP 860 will work well for this reel. I found a SP 508. Would you know what the AP listed as the action means? I should know this but I don't get it. Also KT is listed as the design?

Thanks for your help!

Post 20 Aug 2020, 13:51 • #6 
Guide
Foamer-
The KT might be Kwik-Taper? Is the other AP or AT? If AT it would be Action-Taper.

Post 20 Aug 2020, 16:05 • #7 
Administrator
foamer01 wrote:
Hi,
Looks like a SP 508 , SP 905 and a SP 860 will work well for this reel. I found a SP 508. Would you know what the AP listed as the action means? I should know this but I don't get it. Also KT is listed as the design?

Hi Foamer, Welcome to the Forum!

Look at some of the Shakespeare catalog images posted by Wrong88, particularly those from the late 70s. There is a specific mention of SP508 rods built for the 1810 reel in post #33 (1979 catalog), the first image. These images are primarily of fly rods, but there are some other rods too.

The Purist identified KT as Kwik-Taper and AT as Action Taper. AP refers to "All Purpose", although exactly what made a particular rod an all purpose, I'm not sure. Shakespeare also offered "Standard Taper (ST) and Omni-Action (OA). I haven't seen a good listing about the various actions.

You may still have a date code on your rod. The photo below is my 5 foot, 1 piece Shakespeare Wonderglass spin rod. The date code is below the model number. I think my code reads DGK, which would mean it was made in 1974 (that's about what I remember). The rod is on the 3rd or 4th set of guides, but still has the original grip and reelseat.

Tom

New Topic Add Reply