It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 00:47

New Topic Add Reply
Post 15 Mar 2017, 18:09 • #1 
Sport
many of u knew Bill Burke as a fine reel builder. he was also a better than fine friend and supporter of mine than all the rest put together. he was beset with a number of serious conditions which just crept up on him, very suddenly. i have been out of the country on business, and was trying to adjust to a 12hr+time zone. 1 of our mutual friends called Robin (wife) to speak to me. URGENT she woke me up and i got the bad news.

i have known Bill for over 40 yrs. we cast all over the world together. 6-7 world tournements, 35 or so national's and more regional's than i can count.

i cant quite get my arms around the fact that he is gone. a BETTER FRIEND couldnt be had. when my 50 yr old reel crashed the day before a national in chicago, i was desperate. Bill said no worry, he just happend to have a lathe and all the tools in his truck. he would make a new part, THAT NITE. Nancy (wife) tole me later he was up till 04:00 making it. fitted in my reel. and went to THE CASTING FIELD ,AT 0:600 to test it. i finished 2nd with a cast of 468 ft with an 18gr plug. no i didn't beat Steve Rajeff.. judges said a ft more and i would have. with out Bill i wouldnt have been in the top 6. At the nationals in San Antone, Texas he built me a new mitchell 300 spool to hold more line, and a steeper angle than the tournament spool Abu had made me. i set a national record of 529 ft which was never broken,
i also used a 12 ft pezon michel (?) given to me by Charley Ritz in 1963.

at mine and Robins wedding he and brother Edmon went to a hardware store and bought tons of poly film to walk under and we escaped the church.
there never lived a better friend. i will miss him so much. i posted here as i though it appropriate for the Abu board

jjw
B.L.Farley
call sign "Tall Texan"

Last edited by jjw on 06 Apr 2017, 13:26, edited 2 times in total.

Post 15 Mar 2017, 18:14 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
An excellent human being...so sorry for your loss !

Post 15 Mar 2017, 19:57 • #3 
Master Guide
God rest him. Sorry for your loss.

Post 16 Mar 2017, 11:31 • #4 
Master Guide
A very nice tribute to a fine man. I am sorry for your loss. He was lucky to have you as a friend.

Post 16 Mar 2017, 16:49 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
That's sad to hear B.L. We are fortunate to have friends such as those.

Post 16 Mar 2017, 20:14 • #6 
A short bio on Burke: http://www.americancastingassoc.org/ass ... burke.html

Photos and descriptions of dozens of reels featuring Burke's work: http://imageevent.com/calinmoga?n=0

Post 19 Mar 2017, 00:00 • #7 
Glass Fanatic
My sympathies.

New Topic Add Reply