It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 23:42

1, 2  Next New Topic Add Reply
Post 12 Dec 2016, 23:43 • #1 
Guide
I've been curious about what's out there and what opinions any of you might have about the modern offerings. There only seems to be a handful out there, that I can find anyway. I'm hopeful that with the increased interest in glass fly rods that it might make its way to the conventional fishing circles. Only time will tell, I suppose. With the new techniques I can imagine that crafting some fine spin/cast rods would be easy and desirable.
Interested to see what you all have to say.
Best regards
Chris

Post 14 Dec 2016, 03:23 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
I was looking at the Janns Netcraft site and they have a series of glass spinning rod blanks.They are one pc. blanks which will drive up the shipping but the price is right.I dont know what they are like but they may be worth a try.

Post 14 Dec 2016, 18:23 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
Batson SPG's
Seeker Eglass and S-glass

I'm sure there are more, but those cover a good wide range. A lot are one piece, but there are some 2 piece blanks out there.

Post 14 Dec 2016, 23:08 • #4 
Guide
I'm intrigued by the ones at jann's. I'll have to check out the other ones in just a moment. I didn't think to go looking for blanks, but I wouldn't mind building some myself.

Post 10 Jan 2017, 01:09 • #5 
Sport
I find it difficult to justify crafting my own because I'm happy with the older rods for salmon/jetty fishing and with the new fiberglass rods coming from Eagle Claw and Berkley for trout fishing.

I've redone a few of the older Wright & McGill rods and been very pleased with how they've turned out.

Now the girl wants a custom trout spinning rod in 3+ pieces so I'll need to find a nice rod to rebuild or a try out one of those new blanks.

Post 10 Jan 2017, 14:40 • #6 
Glass Fanatic
i think if a builder came out with a line of super ultra lights like the old garcia conolons and browning sila flexs it would be a hit.the originals in decent shape sell for as much or more than a lot of nice old fly rods.just dont know where you could get a straight or almost no taper glass blank.

Post 10 Jan 2017, 21:21 • #7 
Glass Fanatic
You can often find really nice Fenwick rods on eBay, they have stood the test of time. Modern glass other than fly is scare at best. Bass gear fishers liked big glass casting rods for pulling crankbaits and there are (maybe were) some modern rods being sold, but that is probably not what this thread is about.

Post 11 Jan 2017, 22:27 • #8 
Glass Fanatic
i hear ya,beside the eagle claws and those composite type rods not much in glass any more unless you build your own.have 5 or 6 oold glass casting rods.wonderod conolons berkley browning.the berkley is the best of lot .in the ultralights the garcia conolons and browning silaflex i feel were the best.i have a couple graphite fenwicks that are the most sensitive rods i own.the one i swear i could feel a bare hook bounce off the bottom.have a couple friends who run bass tournaments,the want the glass rods for suspending jerkbaits ,kind of a walk the dog retrieve below the surface.deadly for great lakes smallies.the carbon sticks dont have the right action.

Post 11 Jan 2017, 23:00 • #9 
Glass Fanatic
carlz wrote:
Batson SPG's
Seeker Eglass and S-glass

I'm sure there are more, but those cover a good wide range. A lot are one piece, but there are some 2 piece blanks out there.

the spg 720 is a 5 ft ultralight.2-6 lb line is $15.85 for the blank. might have to build a couple rods.where i live and fish my best shot at big panfish are below 15 feet in very clear water .just dont like throwing heavy sinking line to get down to them.it usually spooks them anyhow.i also tie tiny little jigs that are basically flies.4lb nanofil is like 1lb mono and is zero stretch.need a short limber rod for this type of fishing.

Post 12 Jan 2017, 15:28 • #10 
Glass Fanatic
I can't find any already built ones!?

Post 21 Jan 2017, 09:03 • #11 
Glass Fanatic
There doesn't seem to be a ton of interest in glass spin rods though I agree the Fenwicks have stood the test of time. I tried offering a nice almost new Fenwick PLS70 for sale on the board last spring with no interest what so ever.

Last edited by jeffsod on 21 Jan 2017, 10:10, edited 3 times in total.

Post 21 Jan 2017, 09:19 • #12 
I suspect it's too early yet for retro-styled modern offerings due to the abundance of fine original vintage spinning/casting rods (the aforementioned Garcias, Fenwicks, etc.) still available at bargain prices via resources like eBay. Once these all get snatched up, demand and a market will appear for modern versions of these older rods.

It's no accident that this occurred for fly rods first considering it's a much smaller market and there are far fewer survivors.

Post 04 Feb 2017, 03:36 • #13 
Guide
I saw in sportsmans that the eagle claw "crafted glass" have a few spin rods just recently released. I may pick one up cause the price is hard to beat ($35ish). I much prefer to fly fish, but I take the family to the local ponds often. Sometimes it's not easy casting a fly in those situations. So I figured I'd make it more fun by grabbing some glass rods. Also the eagle claws are great to have for the kids cause they're much more durable and cheap.

Post 05 Feb 2017, 15:05 • #14 
Master Guide
Is this rod still for sale? If so I"m interested. Thanks send me an email please.
Tooty

Post 20 Feb 2017, 10:31 • #15 
Piscator
If you fish freshwater baitcasters for bass, set up an ebay search for Falcon Glass and save it.
If one comes up, do not pass go.

I've had Lews, Browning, Fenglas Lunkerstik - The Falcon is the all-time best glass casting rod.

Post 20 Feb 2017, 17:33 • #16 
Master Guide
NO I don't think that one is one of mine , sorry.
TOOTY

[Please DO NOT post phone numbers. Make contact by PM or email - Tom]

Post 20 Feb 2017, 17:38 • #17 
Master Guide
OH $$$$ I SEE IT'S YOU SELLING THE ROD !!!! YA GIVE ME A CALL PLEASE ANYTIME.
DAVID
TOOTY

[Please Do Not post phone numbers! Tom]

Post 20 Feb 2017, 17:56 • #18 
Glass Fanatic
fenwick and browning silaflex spin rods still fetch top dollar if in decent shape.especially the ultra lights.the little garcias are not easy to find cheap either.i have a very small shakespeare composite rod with modern guides for braid.have caught 100s of crappies on jigs on it.cant find another like it.next to my flyrods my favorite rod

Post 23 Feb 2017, 22:12 • #19 
Guide
Berkeley still makes a couple:

http://www.cabelas.com/product/fishing/ ... type%3DGNU

http://www.cabelas.com/product/fishing/ ... type%3DGNU

Post 23 Feb 2017, 23:48 • #20 
Master Guide
You guys ever heard of "Kenco" "Kencor" ?
My brother has one. I think like 6.5' or 7' rated for 2-6lb test. It's his favorite spinning rod. I used it and caught 1 to 1 1/2 lb. brookies on it. It was a blast.
With a clear bubble and a fly you can cast about halfway across most small Mountain Lakes.
He bought it in the early 80s cost around $100 of the time which was very expensive

Post 24 Feb 2017, 18:59 • #21 
Master Guide
I'm with Ron on the falcon glass. Several tourney guys used Falcons for crank baits.
Mike

Post 26 Feb 2017, 06:48 • #22 
Piscator
this is kind of a wide thread, though, from 2lb test to 20 lb test.

Post 27 Mar 2017, 19:26 • #23 
Sport
I just ordered one of the Eagle Claw Crafted Glass 6'6" Medium rods to give it a try. They have a full line of the Crafted Glass from 5'6" up to 13'. I wanted a rod to chase Channel Cats with so we shall see.

Mike

Post 12 Apr 2017, 23:48 • #24 
Master Guide
Bass Pro sells the Micro Lite Glass spinning rod in lengths from 5' to 7'6. Possibly a rebranded Eagle Claw?

At $19.99 it looks like a rod worthy of a test drive.

Post 22 Apr 2017, 10:21 • #25 
Master Guide
Modern??? What was old is new again. A 60 year old Howald Wonderrod spinning rod works every bit as good as today's offerings in the same line range, and it's teamed up with a SB reel the same age. Sure, it doesn't have whiz bang carbide, ceramic, or exotic metal guides and it's not as stiff or as light as today's offerings, but it casts like a dream and most everyone over 50 knows about Wonderrod fish-fighting qualities.

I enjoy showing up on the walleye boat with my antique setup which was probably catching walleyes before some of the younger guys were born. To be fair, I do take along a couple other rods, as backups, or if I use more than 1 rod out.

BB

1, 2  Next New Topic Add Reply