It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 08:58

New Topic Add Reply
Post 01 Apr 2016, 18:00 • #1 
Like many of you, I like to match period-correct reels to my glass rods and have amassed a number of these which leads to my question: what kind of line backing do you use, if any, on your vintage spinning reels, particularly ultralight-light reels? Searching online yields only discussions regarding newer reels and "superlines" and such and this doesn't address these older reels and light mono. I've got some Luxor No. 1s, Mitchell 304s, a Shakespeare 2052 and a few other smaller reels and assume backing of some sort is a good idea to help protect these older smaller spools. With some of these able to hold quite a bit of line, backing also makes sense from an economical standpoint- no need to spool 200-300 or more yards of expensive 2, 3 or 4-lb. test on the reel when something much cheaper can occupy spool space one will never use. Is cheap heavier mono the way to go or...? Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Post 03 Apr 2016, 09:05 • #2 
Perhaps I was over-thinking this but we occassionally hear about older spools collapsing or distorting under pressure. On the other hand, now that I think about it, this is likely a non-issue with smaller freshwater reels spooled with light lines as the line would break before enough tension was generated to damage a spool.

Post 03 Apr 2016, 10:10 • #3 
Guide
I have the same dilemma... why put 150 or 200 yds. of new line on a reel when it's unlikely more than 50' will ever see water. Yet, the reel won't cast well only filled halfway. The new 'superlines' make the problem worse, it takes more line to flll and they cost several times more.
Back when line was cheap and I only had a few reels, I bought bulk spools. At that time I used to change line every year. It was disheartening to throw out line where more than half of it still looked like new. FWIW I don't do that anymore.
A few reels came with plastic arbors that snapped in, Quick comes to mind, or small capacity spools, Mitchell. More recently, I've taken to spooling line from one reel directly onto another, effectively reversing the line to use the other end. Still takes more line than is ever used though.
I've often thought of schemes to create an arbor but they haven't been successful. I too would like to hear what others have used.

Last edited by jimbofish on 03 Apr 2016, 13:04, edited 1 time in total.

Post 03 Apr 2016, 10:31 • #4 
Sport
Here's what I do. I wrap the spool arbor with tennis racket handle tape, cut carefully to size with a razor knife. It's padded and will compress with line expansion. I use cheap mono as a backing line connecting both the backing and new line with the smallest knot possible and see no need to spool 100 yds or more of new line when maybe 35 yds is the most I ever use.

Post 27 Apr 2016, 01:56 • #5 
Sport
I've seen tape, twine, and cork used in addition to the plastic arbors (quick and some mitchell 300 spools).

I personally use old line from standard reels as backing. Saves on waste.

Post 01 May 2016, 11:36 • #6 
Guide
I have vintage spinning reels with factory made cork or rubber removable arbors - slit so they can be eased on or off. Shouldn't be too hard to model something like that.

When we were poor kids who couldn't afford more than the smallest spool of line, we used wool knitting yarn left over from the last jumper mother had knitted. Never had a problem with it.

Post 10 Dec 2016, 23:25 • #7 
Guide
I have been using 12# Cortland Micron Dacron for backing on my Vintage Utralights, as per Joe Robinson's Piscatorial Absurdities.

Post 12 Dec 2016, 05:59 • #8 
Master Guide
Cortland braided fishing lines have been around for a very long time, and whether it's nylon or dacron will probably make little difference as to practicality or authenticity on a vintage reel, when used as backing. Remember I'm not talking about the superbraids, but the old-fashioned braided fishing line. Cortland's dacron fly line backing is just braided fishing line in bright colors so you know when you are into it.

Post 29 Jan 2017, 15:33 • #9 
Administrator
My preference is a cork arbor. Dacron backing only became common after the magazines convinced us every fish was potential record breaker. Many old fly reels are spooled with no backing and lots of level line (perhaps a couple different lines!). Backing the spool with Dacron adds more weight than cork. For the wood workers in the crowd, balsa wood or paulownia could work too, if sealed against water.

This old post shows fitting a cork arbor on a fly reel. The same process works for spinning and casting reels. It might take more effort to make a spinning reel arbor, but nothing that can't be done with sand paper and patience.

My favorite old spin reel is the Garcia Mitchell 304. No matter I how I look at it, the spool and drag are a really terrible design. I once filled a 304 with 4# mono, only to have the spool pop apart a few days later. An arbor or Dacron backing would have saved the spool.

Tom

Post 29 Jan 2017, 16:11 • #10 
Tom, thanks. Good to know even low-test mono can potentially damage these older spools.

Post 15 Feb 2017, 10:35 • #11 
Sport
Spools broken from line expansion? Cardinal 3 and 4. Fortunately ,but also expensively ,aluminum aftermarket spools can sometimes pop up on fleabay.

Post 15 Feb 2017, 14:36 • #12 
Sport
I have fished a lot of vintage spinning reels, and the only one ever to collapse from mono when in use was a Cardinal 4. The drag was getting worked pretty hard, but I was taken back when the spool started breaking in pieces.

Post 16 Feb 2017, 23:20 • #13 
Sport
All my spinning reels are from the 70's or older, and, knock on wood, that's one problem I've never had. As far as backing goes, I prefer the same line I'm fishing with. My fishing spot on the Allegheny, unfortunately for me, tends to have a lot of catfish. I've caught smallmouths in the 5 pound range that I don't think pulled 5 yards of 4 pound line off the reel. On the other hand, I've had 8 to 10 pound flatheads grab my lures, they head for the middle of the river and then go with the current. I almost got spooled with 6 pound line once.

What I do is start the spool with a complete fill of whatever line I'm going to use. When I need to change line, I decide how long I want my main line to be and then head to the local football field, which is conveniently measured in yards. I pull however much line I want off the reel, cut it, and respool. Since the backing rarely comes off the reel, it lasts a long time. When I need to change my main line, I just pull it off to the connection knot and tie new line on.

Mention was made of Cortland Dacron. I love the stuff, it's all I use on my casting reels. I especially like the bass line. Its a shame they don't make it anymore.

Tim

Post 17 Feb 2017, 09:51 • #14 
Guide
Wow. This is timely for me. I just acquired a Quick 330 and a couple of Mitchell 301's to start pairing with my vintage spinning rods. I would have filled them with line without a thought to the spools being damaged. Thanks folks.

I was born in 1956, have 1956 Wonderod and just got my hands on a 1956 Mitchell 301. That outfit is going shad fishing this spring. A 3-5 lb American shad will definitely be putting the reel to the test.

It would be heartbreaking to blow the spool on that one.

New Topic Add Reply