It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 01:12

New Topic Add Reply
Recommend Fenglass?
Post 05 Sep 2018, 20:24 • #1 
I have been referred to these rods by two reputable individuals in this sport. I need additional information and thought I might find it here. He is 13 and began fly fishing with my this summer. We are going to northern Michigan in mid-October on the Au Sable and I need to find him a 6 or 7 wt rod soon so, he can practice casting. We like dry fly fishing and we simply want to ensure we can land any trout we can convince to take our flies, nypmhs, streamers, etc.

Please let me know. I must get a rod soon.

Re: Recommend Fenglass?
Post 05 Sep 2018, 23:17 • #2 
Sport
What a nice trip to take in mid October leaf's should be in color. The Au Sable is one of the Holy waters of fly fishing TU was started there in 1959 by George Griffith and some friends. To the rod, I love and fish Fenglass the FG837-3 would be my pick as it is the longest of the Fenglass rods. Here is where I will get booed for a 13 year old I would look at Orvis Encounter outfit 9' 6wt. or 9'6" 6wt. @ $169.00 rod, reel, backing, line and leader add fly's, water and a 13 year old. The Orvis is not a glass rod. Lets us know what you pick out for him and you two have a safe enjoyable trip.

Post 06 Sep 2018, 07:50 • #3 
Piscator
In that 6/7-wt, a rod that comes to mind is the 7'6" S-glass Shakespeare FY-200.
No one is probably ready to give one up, but for a dry fly rod, I'd take an old Heddon T taper 7' to 8' over Fenglas any day.
Ditto on 8' Phillipson, including the old eponite rods.
Have you been to our Classifieds page to see who's currently offering what?

Post 06 Sep 2018, 10:42 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
I haven’t used any of the current Fenglass offerings but if I was looking for a rod in the range of the FG837, it would get a hard look just based on posts I’ve seen here; it seems particularly well regarded as a streamer rod. If you put “fg837 “ in the search engine you’ll see a number of positive posts, same. With the 704.
Bulldog makes a good point about some vintage rods, but if your 13-year-old is like most I’ve known, new might be better received. The recommendation of an Orvis beginner’s package is worth considering, and I’ve been impressed with a couple of versions from LLBean over the years; both companies have an interest in putting something in a beginner’s hands that is enjoyable and gets them into a lifetime of fly fishing. And that’s our goal here too, so we can forgive the temporary embrace of graphite; we’ll get him into glass later.
Have fun.

Recommend Fenglass?
Post 06 Sep 2018, 14:20 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
If you’re going to the Au Sable in October, you’ll run into blue wing olives but the bigger game is fishing for larger browns on streamers. Few of any rods can do both well. I’d agree with papafish on a graphite 9ft 7 wt. It can also be used with great effect for steelheading the same period. Next summer you can use it as a primary rod for Smallmouth bass. In addition to the Orvis rods mentioned, the inexpensive TFO Pro II is terrific for this. The action is quite similar to the old Sage RPL for $169. The Fenglass 8'3" 7wt is a very nice glass rod, especially for the money. It will be more durable than a graphite rod if this is a consideration. But I find it best used in rivers where there is a canopy. The longer graphite rod will be better suited for more situations. Next spring I’d get him a nice fiberglass 7 1/2 or 8 ft 5wt like a Steffen or if on a budget, a 8’0” 5wt Butterstick. For good bang for your buck rods, read my post “New recommendation for a Small, Inexpensive rod”. I will say this though, in addition to that other post: If a person is only to have one rod, it is hard to beat the Fenglass 8'3" 7wt. If you're to have two, I'd go with a graphite 9ft 8wt and a glass 8ft 5wt. But try to think long term if you can. You'll see that the recommendations change based on how many fishing situations you encounter each year and how many rods you have available. It will save money in the end if you think it through. Personally, I’d plan long term for a five rod quiver for fishing the many fishing situations you will find in Michigan from bluegills to Chinook. You certainly don’t have to buy all five rods at once but if you think long term, you’ll save money in the long run. If you’d like him to get a high class fly fishing education, sign him up for the teen program at the Michigan chapter of BOJC at bojcmi.org. In that program, they can build an 8ft 5/6 wt rod.

Post 06 Sep 2018, 20:02 • #6 
Sport
CrustyBugger I read your "New recommendation for Small Inexpensive rod" very good post and your post here today is also very good and well written. Upstream also had some good puts on his post "13-year-old is like most I’ve known, new might be better received." There are many good packages out there for beginners it all comes down to the $$ you want to send. R Camp has some things to think about.

Post 07 Sep 2018, 21:15 • #7 
Sorry for my apparent absence everyone. I began this discussion for a reason...to learn.

In summary, it seems like this thread has reinforced most of what I have heard about the "new" Fenglass rods. Furthermore, it is even better to know the 7wt is a great choice. While the Fenglass peaked my attention, I have been focused on trying to find him one of the original Fenwick HMG graphite rods in a 6wt. These are known to be very good rods yet, do not cost much on the used market. Value is always a good thing. The issue is I am not sufficiently knowledgeable on these rods because, I have been away from fly fishing for years. See the following review of classic graphite on MidCurrent (it's a good read):

https://midcurrent.com/gear/retro-rod-r ... ing-world/

With that aside, timing has me concerned because, I am roofing my house 9/15 - 9/23 and this has also consumed a considerable amount of time. I had to act, so I chose to order him another TFO Pro II...this one is the 9' 6wt. I am okay with this. I purchased the 4wt 8' Pro II for him this spring so we could use it at Gates Lodge in July. He did well and has completely fallen for our wonderful sport. Not much better than standing in water wearing waders and a fly rod.

I have checked the classifieds but, this was some time ago. I did not see anything. It would be good if I could find good used Lamson to add to his new Pro II when it arrives!

Fiberglass and bamboo also interest me. I have a lot to learn as a result of my time away so, let's get to it.

Many thanks everyone for your contributions.

Post 08 Sep 2018, 05:49 • #8 
Glass Fanatic
A good idea is to let your son select the rod he likes once you help him define the basic type. Seven is a great line weight, or a 6 weight, 'glass or graphite, is a good starter way to go, partly because so many good ones are available. In graphite, at least, the common "starter" or entry level packages or rods--well, it would be hard to find a bad one. Just as an example, earlier in the summer at the LL Bean casting pool, I tried several such rods--each being in the range of what you are after--and cast all from short to the length of the pool (60') comfortably. I didn't even know what models they were, line, or anything and didn't notice afterwards. All were capable rods, the same experience with "different" models over many, many years of casually trying them down there. The same would likely be true across the range of many brands/retailers.

I'd suggest having him decide what length he feels comfortable with first, knowing that at that age an 8 1/2' rod seemed "too long" to me. You have a lot of choices--the Fenglass would be fine--in 7 1/2' and 8' glass, the wheelhouse length for the material in midweight lines, and a lot more in the graphite 8 1/2' to 9' wheelhouse. Because there are so many good ones available, It will be more important that he choose what he thinks is best than you choose what someone else says is best.

Post 08 Sep 2018, 06:06 • #9 
whirlpool - You are, of course, completely correct. This 6wt 9' Pro II is his choice...empowering the young ones is the means by which we get responsible adults.

Post 08 Sep 2018, 08:45 • #10 
Glass Fanatic
I have used quite a few of the current Fenglass models and would recommend them all.

Maybe a little light for a new fly caster, but so much rod for so little if bought right.

Post 08 Sep 2018, 20:27 • #11 
I just checked the wiki associated with this forum. I purchased a Fenwick FF857 in the early 1980's for ~$70 on sale under the guidance of a co-worker. I have never used this rod excpet to practice casting throughout the years. The wiki states this is a Feralite fly rod made of E-glass and it states further that this second generation Feralite rod is supposed to be crisper/faster than the first generation Feralite. Is this a fly rod worth keeping and using? I have no clue...

What am I thinking? Well, for starters. HMG, SilaFlex, R. L. Winston, etc. There are indications this is becoming an addiction...

Post 08 Sep 2018, 21:55 • #12 
Glass Fanatic
Check out the Search function at the top right of the page. Just type in "Fenwick FF857" and you will find a lot of posts about that rod.

Larry

New Topic Add Reply