It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 17:26

New Topic Add Reply
Post 26 Aug 2018, 15:22 • #1 
Master Guide
I did something exceedingly braindead and broke my Winston/Fisher blanked 6'6" 3wt at the ferrule. No it wasn't a truck door or tailgate. Lets just say I have developed a deeper than normal dislike for deadfall.

Anyways when I'm through with being thoroughly POed at myself I was thinking about replacing it with a 3wt blank from TMR, either the 6'9" or 7' and hopefully twist the arm of the rodmaker who originally assembled the Winston/Fisher 40 some years ago.

Could someone please explain the difference in feel between those two blanks? I having trouble wrapping my head around the different design concepts

Last edited by Taeke on 26 Aug 2018, 16:57, edited 1 time in total.

Post 26 Aug 2018, 16:08 • #2 
Master Guide
Tough to read about your loss. These vintage rods were made to be enjoyed. The Morgan would be a fitting replacement.

Post 26 Aug 2018, 17:03 • #3 
Inactive
My Morgan 6wt is incredibly smooth, I cant imagine the 3 would be anything less than such.

Post 26 Aug 2018, 17:43 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
Oh, too bad. I wouldn't be able to compare the two, yet I am pretty sure you will get some good responses and look forward to reading them I am also pretty sure if you liked the one, you will like the other. That said, it is not out of the realm of possibility that if you are patient in searching, you could find a Winston or very similar Fisher replacement. Last, evaluate the damage on the rod you have or describe/picture it in case there is any chance it can be repaired.

Post 26 Aug 2018, 18:32 • #5 
Master Guide

Last edited by Taeke on 26 Aug 2018, 19:55, edited 1 time in total.

Post 26 Aug 2018, 18:53 • #6 
Inactive
Ouch that's a tough one

Post 26 Aug 2018, 18:58 • #7 
Inactive
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=62534

Shot in the dark but at the end it sounds like he has the blank you are looking for. It's been awhile so maybe not but worth a try

Post 26 Aug 2018, 19:56 • #8 
Master Guide
I replaced the poor image with a slightly better one

Post 27 Aug 2018, 06:41 • #9 
Master Guide
Last time I looked into it -- 3 months ago? --there were no new blanks on offer to my rod maker and my direct emails and voice mails went unanswered.

Heddonist

Post 27 Aug 2018, 07:30 • #10 
Master Guide
Heddonist wrote:
Last time I looked into it -- 3 months ago? --there were no new blanks on offer to my rod maker and my direct emails and voice mails went unanswered.

Heddonist

Although it only been a week but that's my experience as well.

Post 27 Aug 2018, 11:06 • #11 
Glass Fanatic
That break looks a little tricky with the splintering, but that break looks like it could be repaired. Don't throw the rod away, especially seeing that it is a Winston!

Post 27 Aug 2018, 12:59 • #12 
Master Guide
Heddonist wrote:

Heddonist

Just received an email reply from Joel Doub. TMR is still selling blanks but have been delayed as they have sorted out some coating issues but should have a selection of blanks available shortly

Post 27 Aug 2018, 15:18 • #13 
Glass Fanatic
Taeke:

Here is how Tom described the rods when he was with us and owned the company, assuming the 6'9" rod you are inquiring about is the LT #3. (My apologies if this same info is out there on the current TMR website):

Light 3-Weight

In addition to the standard weight blanks and rods, I have added two 3-weights in 6' 9" and 7' 3" lengths with a slightly lighter action designed especially for Japanese anglers who generally fish shorter distances than American anglers. I worked with a very knowledgeable Japanese angler to get these rods just right. When he cast the final design, he thought it was absolutely perfect.

These rods are designed to fish in the 12 to 35-foot range. However, this is not to say that my normal 3-weight rods are stiff because they are not (Note: Other anglers may also prefer these rods under special conditions where they are primarily fishing short distances. In the beginning I thought only Japanese anglers would be the primary customers but many other anglers around the world have enjoyed them for their in close delicate fishing. In addition, some anglers will like these light action rods with 2-weight lines for fishing longer distances or where they are accustomed to a little faster rod).

3-Weight

This weight is the lightest light-line rod most anglers usually fish. These rods have supple, sensitive tips for fishing small flies and light tippets along with moderate mid- and butt-stiffness. The standard rods are designed to fish best in the 15 to 40-foot range with enough power to reach out some when called upon, but they aren't designed to be distance rods.

These blanks and rods are available in 7', 7 1/2', and 8' lengths. (Note: On a whim I decided to make an 8' rod to see what it felt like and it felt so good I decided to include it in the rod selection. It's naturally slower because of its length but it's still very effective for those situations where a longer rod is beneficial).

Let me add that I own a TMR 7'0" 3wt from Tom & Gerri made about a year before they sold the company. It is an incredible, rod with a smooth action that I can't imagine would displease anyone. It is a true 3wt that loves any standard DT3.

Good luck with your search or repair!

Post 16 Nov 2018, 19:37 • #14 
Master Guide
Things are lookin' up. Just bought the last 6'9" 3wt LT from Tom's old stock from before the sale of TMR. Now to twist an
curmudgeonly old bamboo rodmaker's arm.........

Post 17 Nov 2018, 13:20 • #15 
Master Guide
archfly wrote:
That break looks a little tricky with the splintering, but that break looks like it could be repaired. Don't throw the rod away, especially seeing that it is a Winston!

It would sure be worth a try to repair that, or to find a rodmaker who knows how to do it.

New Topic Add Reply