It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 13:14

1, 2  Next New Topic Add Reply
Post 20 Aug 2018, 18:02 • #1 
Guide
Anyone have information on this newest Orvis glass rod? Website says if ordered will be shipped in November. Will this be a true two weight? It’s listed on the Orvis website but I have not heard about it until today.
Todd

Post 20 Aug 2018, 21:22 • #2 
Sport
Sounds interesting...following along

Post 21 Aug 2018, 04:57 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
Even if I had tried this rod, which I haven't, my opinion of whether it's a "true" 2wt wouldn't mean a whole lot because peoples' loading preferences vary so much. The best you can do is to see if there's a consensus of opinion from a lot of people who've cast it. But even with that, you might not agree. The good news is that because it's Orvis, if you buy it and don't like it you can return it. Based on my experience with a couple other rods in this series, my bet would be it'll probably cast a 3wt as well or better than a 2wt.. Be sure to do a review if you end up buying it.

Post 21 Aug 2018, 15:12 • #4 
Master Guide
I was thinking the same thing tiptop just posted. Line brand/type can make a big difference too.

Post 21 Aug 2018, 16:13 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
Orvis is a great company that will do everything to help you out. Even if this means take the rod (or anything you purchased) back and refund you.

Post 21 Aug 2018, 17:14 • #6 
Glass Fanatic
And another plug for Orvis. They're charging $429 for the SFG rods which are s-glass, light in hand, rolled in-house in the US, with a bullet-proof warranty, and unique in appearance. Perhaps not everyone likes the tapers; they may be too fast for some. And I don't much like the style of hardware. But when I compare them to the new F rods from Scott I can't help but think what a good value they are. Just IMO.

Post 31 Aug 2018, 18:12 • #7 
Master Guide
I was in the Slate Run, PA shop yesterday and they had one on the rack. Nice rod by the wiggle test. Listed weight is two ounces. I asked Jed if it was a true 2 wt. and he said he'd fish it as a three. But he explained that's only because of the flies he normally fishes and a three would do the job better. Who knows, it might be a perfect two for smaller dries. I'll wait for someone else's verdict.

Post 23 Jul 2019, 09:13 • #8 
Guide
I'm really tempted to order this rod and put a 150 grain micro Skagit head on it. Would be a blast!

Post 24 Jul 2019, 22:16 • #9 
Sport
I've been fishing this rod most of this year on small mountain creeks. It's a very smooth casting rod with the wf2 superfine line. Loads with about a foot of line out and seems to like a shorter leader. I haven't fished it with a 3 but have lawn cast it with a cortland peach dt3 and it seemed to struggle. Just doesn't seem nearly as smooth with a 3. So, I stick to fishing it with the 2. Barely feels like I have a rod in hand when fishing it. Has some backbone to it, landed brookies and browns in the 15"-18" range with it, without a problem. I haven't handled enough two or three weights to compare it to others in class but in my opinion it's a winner.

Post 26 Jul 2019, 08:31 • #10 
Guide
Penn, thanks for the review. I just ordered this rod; looking forward to trying it out. Glad to hear it didn't have a problem bringing in some larger fish. There's an occasional 12 inch smallmouth in the stream I plan on using it in; sounds like it will be fine. I'm going to try a 150 grain micro Skagit head on it with a floating tip. We'll see...….I really want the 3 wt Superfine glass as well, but couldn't resist at least trying this little 2wt.

Post 26 Jul 2019, 23:03 • #11 
Sport
You should have a blast with the rod hooking into one of those smallmouths. I was worried about hooking into a bigger fish when I ordered it too, until I did, and there were zero issues. I'd assume the 3 weight is a good rod as well, can never have enough rods.

Post 27 Jul 2019, 21:09 • #12 
Just got back from fishing it today for some brook trout. Used 2wt orvis superfine line. I'm not the most experienced fly fisherman but thought it worked great. I've read that the superfine line may be a little heavier than advertised but I don't know. I really like the rod.

Post 28 Jul 2019, 06:37 • #13 
Glass Fanatic
Welcome, Greenstick! Glad you like your new SFG. I sure like my 7'6" 4wt.

Post 05 Aug 2019, 09:08 • #14 
Guide
I thought I'd add my first experience with this rod.....I took it to a small stream here in central Indiana that has an average flow of about 20 cfs; around 25 feet across. I lined it with an SA spey lite integrated Skagit head of 150 grains and a 5.5 ft floating tip from OPST (20 grain), Orvis Battenkill II reel. This setup was an absolute blast. I was roll casting wolly buggers (size 10) and shooting line. I could literally cast with trees right behind me as needed on this piece of water sometimes. The first fish I hooked into was a 14 inch largemouth bass. That little battenkill made some noise and the rod was bent. It wasn't that big a deal landing the fish; I played it a little then brought it in. Caught several nice bluegills as well and they even bend the rod. I think what I liked best was the length/action of the rod; I could cast in some really tight areas.
I've also cast the rod with the Orvis Superfine 3wt line, and it's great. The rod is not a noodle; I thought it would be; it's a great taper. Orvis has really nailed it on this series; want to get the 3wt as well.

Post 17 Sep 2019, 16:19 • #15 
Sport
Westhop74 wrote:
I thought I'd add my first experience with this rod.....I took it to a small stream here in central Indiana that has an average flow of about 20 cfs; around 25 feet across. I lined it with an SA spey lite integrated Skagit head of 150 grains and a 5.5 ft floating tip from OPST (20 grain), Orvis Battenkill II reel. This setup was an absolute blast. I was roll casting wolly buggers (size 10) and shooting line. I could literally cast with trees right behind me as needed on this piece of water sometimes. The first fish I hooked into was a 14 inch largemouth bass. That little battenkill made some noise and the rod was bent. It wasn't that big a deal landing the fish; I played it a little then brought it in. Caught several nice bluegills as well and they even bend the rod. I think what I liked best was the length/action of the rod; I could cast in some really tight areas.
I've also cast the rod with the Orvis Superfine 3wt line, and it's great. The rod is not a noodle; I thought it would be; it's a great taper. Orvis has really nailed it on this series; want to get the 3wt as well.

I am super interested in getting this rod for Small Stream Driftless fishing. Especially if it really will cast the skagit. Game on! Do you still like it with this line?

Post 19 Sep 2019, 08:51 • #16 
Glass Fanatic
Westhop74 wrote:
I'm really tempted to order this rod and put a 150 grain micro Skagit head on it. Would be a blast!

Try a 120gr RioFloating MOW tip first! The 150gr is probably going to be heavy on a 2wt, and the MOW tips are half the price.

Post 19 Sep 2019, 12:02 • #17 
Glass Fanatic
Even 5wt 6ish foot rods are a blast to fish.Bluegills will put a bend in them too.I find half a Dr line at 45 feet is all you need.All I fish these days is warmwter creeks streams and public and semi public as in I did not see that sign ponds retention lakes etc.

Post 23 Sep 2019, 09:06 • #18 
Guide
brockton wrote:
Westhop74 wrote:

Try a 120gr RioFloating MOW tip first! The 150gr is probably going to be heavy on a 2wt, and the MOW tips are half the price.

after using the rod a little bit; I would completely agree with you that a 120 gr head would be better; however I've discovered that on a single hand rod I like the integrated head with running line system better. You often have to strip in quite a bit of line and a large junction of the head running line is annoying ( to me ) hence the main reason I'm using the integrated head/running line system.

I'll admit if there was a 120 grain integrated system I'd probably use that instead

Post 23 Sep 2019, 14:48 • #19 
Guide
Orvis puts a screw lock seat on a 6'-6" rod! Go figure?

Post 04 Oct 2019, 15:25 • #20 
Sport
Probably an economies of scale thing I'd guess.....however, agreed it is sort of odd. Especially considering that one of my favorite graphite rods is an Orvis Superfine "Troutbum" 7'9" 5wt with a sliding band seat. Ah well, just glad Orvis did these glass rods.....

Post 04 Oct 2019, 16:11 • #21 
Glass Fanatic
A true 2wt? Hah! It could be but I’d wager my left nut it isn’t against somebody else’s that out of 100 people, at least 51 people doesn’t think so vs another line weight including half weights. I don’t know because I haven’t cast it but, what does it matter? About 1% of rods claimed as 2wts are 2wts. If it is a 2 wt, the statistic became 3%. If it’s not, the statistic became 1.5%, but it’s still probably a 3 or 4 wt although some 2 wts are 6wts. Just because a rod casts a 2wt acceptably doesn’t make it a 2wt. The definition should be what weight does it cast best. So it’s HIGHLY doubtful, but so is everything else. Every SFG I’ve cast, casts a line weight heavier much better. So , it’s probably a 3 or 3.5 based on that. Is that all that bad? Probably not, because it’s hard finding anything much better. Glass is going to feel better than graphite though because in these weights, the glass is a bit heavier and casts itself better. The secret to all this is to get real and quit trying go be cool and believing marketing hype. Quit trying to find a 2wt just because it’s written as such on the rod because it isn’t. That way in reality, you’re far better off finding a great 4wt, seriously. But if you can’t stand it and insist, either buy that rod as an adequate 3wt or find a better 3 wt. At least you have double the chance of finding a decent 3wt than finding a true 2wt. But you triple or quadruple your chances or more going with fiberglass over graphite of finding a good one.

Last edited by CrustyBugger on 04 Oct 2019, 16:31, edited 2 times in total.

Post 04 Oct 2019, 16:21 • #22 
Glass Fanatic
No reason not to have a screw lock seat on a relatively short, light rod--especially considering some of the rigs people fish with such rods, and the potential size of fish caught with them these days. The cap and ring seems fitting, but is daintier, and today these rods won't always be used with compact light reels, or for smaller fish, short casts, and hand-stripping line to land a fish. Just as an example, they may be used with heavier LA reels, which exert more rotational force on the reel seat because their mass is not as close to the axis of the rod. The choice of a screw-lock seat makes perfect sense to me. It is a more robust, secure attachment, plain and simple.

Post 04 Dec 2019, 10:31 • #23 
Prior to joining here and asking "which rod" questions, I was able to cast this at my local orvis shop. It exceeded my complete noob expectations. I never cast anything under 3wt graphite and thought it would be a complete noodle. The shop only have 3wt line to try and I thought it was fine with it. I thought it would work well for the little pan fish around me assuming I adjust for fly size of course. alas it is a pricey bugger... I will have to wait for a used one... it is always weird to me to use high $$ rod to catch pond fish; I always feel it belongs on some pristine mountain steam catching trout or something like that.

Post 30 Jan 2020, 12:55 • #24 
Guide
It's a neat little rod. I had a chance to fish it all last fall on some small midwestern streams. The length is interesting; never had a fly rod this short, you can get a cast off in some really tight areas. It was a blast with some wild stream bluegill and small bass. No problems landing fish. It's quick compared to the other rods in the family; I fished it with a 3wt superfine line; turned over small poppers and buggers no problem with a short leader. In hindsight, I think a furled leader would be best; as a 3wt line is pretty limited to what you can cast.

Post 01 Feb 2020, 11:37 • #25 
I have an LL Bean 2-wt. It's always been a little too light for me, but I'll second Tomah's comment: I love my Superfine 7'6" 4wt!

1, 2  Next New Topic Add Reply