It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 16:21

New Topic Add Reply
Scott F2 723
Post 08 Aug 2018, 21:21 • #1 
Sport
I’m new to the world of glass—recently picked up an Orvis Superfine Glass 764 as my first fiberglass fly rod. I’ve been thinking about adding a lighter SFG to fill a large gap in the quiver. My only rod lighter than the 4-weight is a 7’10” Sage TXL zero weight. While trying to decide between the 7’ and 7’6” three weight SFG, I stumbled upon a great deal on a Scott F2 723. I can actually pick up the Scott a bit cheaper than the SFG from Orvis, and I like the idea of a four piece for packing into remote streams in the Sierras. Now I’m leaning that way. Everyone on here seems to LOVE the F2 653, but I haven’t read much about the F2 723. I’m looking for some input from anyone with experience fishing this longer three weight from Scott. Would I be better off just ordering the SFG from Orvis?

Thanks

Re: Scott F2 723
Post 09 Aug 2018, 05:48 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
I’ve done a brief cast some years ago and I thought it was a bit wobbly soft. Wasn’t this model first only sold in Japan to fish for those illusive yamame?

Post 09 Aug 2018, 08:28 • #3 
Guide
Yes, the F2 723/4 used to be the “Japan Special” until they added it to their normal lineup. I really enjoy mine, but I would not call it an all around rod like the 653 is. I’ll nymph fish with it in a pinch, but this is not what it was designed to do. I will say it is far more capable of fishing larger flies than most would think just shaking it in a fly shop. I was fishing foam hoppers with it last week in some wind with no problems.

What are your intentions for the 723/4 if you were to add it to your quiver? It was designed to fish small streams and smaller trout.

Post 09 Aug 2018, 08:48 • #4 
Sport
Trouts wrote:
What are your intentions for the 723/4 if you were to add it to your quiver? It was designed to small streams and smaller trout.

I don’t plan to use it for nymphing other than the occasional small dropper off the back of a dry when I’m not getting any action up top. I’ll mainly be fishing small water where a trout over 12” is highly unlikely.

Post 09 Aug 2018, 09:14 • #5 
Guide
joe ba ca wrote:
Trouts wrote:
What are your intentions for the 723/4 if you were to add it to your quiver? It was designed to small streams and smaller trout.

I don’t plan to use it for nymphing other than the occasional small dropper off the back of a dry when I’m not getting any action up top. I’ll mainly be fishing small water where a trout over 12” is highly unlikely.

This is exactly what this rod was designed for. Considering you already have the 4wt Orvis, the Scott would be my choice. If it is possible I would cast the 653 and 723/4 side by side to see which one you like the best. Very different tapers, but both very good in their own right. I would also double check the fit and finish on the Scott before or upon purchase. I have seen some that should have never left the shop.

Post 13 Aug 2018, 07:44 • #6 
Sport

Unfortunately we don’t have a local fly shop within 200 miles where I could try the 653 and 723 side by side. I ended up getting the Scott 723 at what I consider a bargain (less than $400). The fit and finish seems fine to me. Most of my other rods are factory built graphite sticks from the likes of Sage and Winston, and this Scott seems comparable in that department. I christened the rod on a tributary of the Kings River that is loaded with small rainbows and brookies. The new rod was a pleasure to fish.

New Topic Add Reply