It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 05:08

New Topic Add Reply
Post 21 Jul 2018, 20:29 • #1 
Guide
I just recently picked up a 7’ Fisher 4/5 fiberglass blank from Oldschool off eBay. I couldn’t believe how light this blank is so I put it on my digital scale for comparison to a 7’ Lamiglas 3 weight.It is certainly a different animal than my LL Bean Double L 6 weight built with a Fisher 6/7 blank which has a softer fast tip going to a strong butt while the 7’ is full flex. I hope to have some time to do some builds soon.

Post 22 Jul 2018, 04:02 • #2 
Piscator
Joe Fisher was always accused of making his graphite blanks heavier than his glass blanks

My friend Dennis Freeman who knew Joe well said he didn't trust the toughness of graphite, so he always overbuilt them.

Last edited by bulldog1935 on 26 Jul 2018, 08:12, edited 2 times in total.

Post 22 Jul 2018, 05:28 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
These blanks were state of the art and still would be if the phenolic resins were available. Their crispness (regardless of action, meaning good damping and feel)--as opposed to light weight for the sake of light weight--is the result of an optimum fiber/resin package that did yield a lightweight blank, uncompromised by the gloss finish. Glad you got one and I see there was a nice assortment available recently. Plenty of sharp blanks/rods of current manufacture available, but whenever something Fisher is available, if its length and action suits the angler's need, it will be competitive with contemporary. It has the cachet' of "vintage" and the performance potential of "modern."

Post 22 Jul 2018, 08:12 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
Love my 9/10 Fisher. Guys say the heavier line weights don't work but this is where I say there is an exception.

Post 22 Jul 2018, 15:15 • #5 
Guide
I can tell I am going to love this rod for poppers and such for brim and small water trout fishing. Looks like it will flex into the grip with a good fish on so I am contemplating on doing a ventilated grip with this build.

Post 22 Jul 2018, 15:37 • #6 
Guide
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HzDjGi-ydzQ

Found this video that cracked me up. They sure are comparing apples to apples here. Surprise surprise they are trying to sell a product.

Post 25 Jul 2018, 22:36 • #7 
Master Guide
That was kind of a silly video — random antique shop rod to a modern “custom” one. I’d like to see a comparison, say, of an Orvis Fillflex-A to a modern SFG. Or maybe a Fenwick FF to a modern Fenglass...

Post 26 Jul 2018, 01:17 • #8 
Glass Fanatic
motosacto wrote:
That was kind of a silly video — random antique shop rod to a modern “custom” one. I’d like to see a comparison, say, of an Orvis Fillflex-A to a modern SFG. Or maybe a Fenwick FF to a modern Fenglass...

Yeah it seems everyone in the comment section agress as well. That it was a poor and usless comparison to just comepar some random junk shop finds to modern glass that way.

Post 26 Jul 2018, 07:08 • #9 
Glass Fanatic
I will guarantee that among anglers who know how to cast and fish glass--and with collector dollar value ruled out as a factor--side by side comparisons of the best "vintage' 'glass with "modern" glass in comparable length/line weight configuration--guaranteed that some would prefer and choose the heyday 'glass, some the contemporary, and many either one. The exception would be the 9 foot Fisher 5-6 and 6-7 blanks or models built from them, which virtually all would prefer. Various exceptions for old or new could be named right up and down the line, and since they aren't making the "old" any more, it is great that there are so many sharp "new."

Post 26 Jul 2018, 08:45 • #10 
Piscator
jeffsod wrote:
Love my 9/10 Fisher. Guys say the heavier line weights don't work but this is where I say there is an exception.

no one ever said that - you can duplicate any taper in e-glass. Fisher made great heavy line weights to 16 in glass (8').

bad e-glass tapers in heavy line weights don't work well, and are heavy to boot.
Otherwise, don't work is reserved for short graphite fly rods.

Post 30 Sep 2020, 15:29 • #11 
Guide
Just picked up the same blank from the same seller today. Any update on the build? What do you think of the blank?

Post 30 Sep 2020, 20:35 • #12 
Glass Fanatic
I don't have much experience with vintage Fisher glass. Actually only one blank, an 8' 6/7 3 pc that I bought from L Kenney. Larry cut it, installed the spigot ferrule and Shane built it. It's an outstanding rod and will throw a large fly a long way. It is heavy compared to a Steffen or even a Kenney but it's well balanced and casts powerfully, easily and fishes as well as any rod I've fished. I don't have much experience with Fisher graphite either, one rod, a 7'6 4wt Winston. IMVHO the Fisher graphite Winston is a better fishing rod than a Winston Loomis IM6 or a WT in the same configuration. Of course it's a Morgan taper but a Fisher rolled blank. It fishes more like glass than graphite.

Post 26 Dec 2020, 10:18 • #13 
Guide
MrJesse34 wrote:
Just picked up the same blank from the same seller today. Any update on the build? What do you think of the blank?

Sorry for delayed response just seen this, it is a fantastic fishing tool. I have used it many times from my kayak targeting brim and bass. It is a fantastic for roll casting from the bank of a tree lined pond or in a small creek. It can handle decent sized fish. I will post pictures soon on here.

Post 26 Dec 2020, 21:07 • #14 
Piscator
I think a lot of people get stuck on 7'6" Phillipson for feeling heavy, especially with metal ferrule.
7' and 6'6" even with metal ferrule, but especially with sleeve ferrule, are da bomb.

New Topic Add Reply