It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 08:40

Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 12  Next New Topic Add Reply
Re: Scott F Series
Post 29 Jul 2018, 14:38 • #76 
Master Guide
Again, with all the wonderful rods being produced by *********, Barclay, Kenney, Mountain Brook, James Green, McFarland and so on plus all the outstanding custom builders on this site why would one buy a Factory rod for $700.00?

Post 29 Jul 2018, 14:59 • #77 
Glass Fanatic
There could be several.

Us here at the forum being really specific what we look in a rod, it's obviously custom finish as well as built quality (incl. materials used). But 99% of the fly fishermen just go for the safe route and that's 'brand safety'. Hey, its a Sage so it has to be good!

Other thing is as simple as being a fan of a brand.
I like Scott myself and own several Scott rods. That having said I don't think I'll buy any more Scott built rods, unless it's the only way to get a specific model.

Post 29 Jul 2018, 15:52 • #78 
Glass Fanatic
Ibookje, I am looking at the new 2018 catalog and now there is not any mention of best quality cork or hand shaping. The only reference to cork is in the icons at the bottom of each model showing build details such as aluminum, premium guides, boron, etc. There is an icon that says “Flor Cork” under all models except the new low line model called the KAIROS (at $475) which has an icon that reads “Super Cork”. I’ll bet it’s really super. :)

I was on a tour of the Winston factory maybe 10 years ago (really not sure how long ago but 10 years at least) and they had boxes of pre-formed grips that they were putting on their blanks. I was shocked to say the least. They were also using mostly tip-over-butt ferrules at that time. They always touted their spigot ferrules as a sign of quality. Quality seems to continue to go down but prices continue to go up.

Post 29 Jul 2018, 16:18 • #79 
Master Guide
You are a absolutely right most fly rod rodders don’t care about the quality of a rod’s finish work or cork quality. I like you was a big Scott fan. In my opinion when they moved to Colorado is when the quality of their products took a nose dive. When they stopped selling blanks and really increased the price of their rods is when I stopped buying their stuff. My dad bought a Loomis GLX stream dance rod when they first came out. That was a great casting rod and he fished it to death. After 6 months the grip pretty much disintegrated the cork was so bad. The rod looked like a 3rd grader put it together. The worst epoxy/ fishing work I have ever seen to this day on factory rod. But he could careless and caught many wonderful fish with it so I guess it all relative. To this day, he said that was the best rod he ever owned

Post 30 Jul 2018, 08:11 • #80 
Master Guide
Looks like a noodle in the video! I have only seen a bend like that, with my South Fork Classic 6' 2wt (lamiglas blank).

Post 30 Jul 2018, 09:11 • #81 
Glass Fanatic
As long as the cork doesn't look like cork board, I don't get too crazy about how it looks. When I get a new rod, I give it a thin coat of UB40 cork sealer and it helps hold the fill in place. IMO, the pockets and pits helps with gripping the rod.

Post 31 Jul 2018, 12:18 • #82 
Glass Fanatic
This is the way Scott grips looked from early San Francisco through early Montrose: (Not always great but honest full size cork rings with no attempt to cover up the flaws.)

Post 31 Jul 2018, 12:52 • #83 
Glass Fanatic
I like the way that looks much better then an overly bleached and filled grip. I don't see those lines as flaws but rather an aesthetic design choice.

A lot of my vintage rods have the same look, so maybe its just what I'm used to, but it is a much more honest look.

Post 31 Jul 2018, 13:24 • #84 
Glass Fanatic
Arent grips with clear visible cork rings the result of hand built while the ones that have been bleached and cork rings not really distinguishable factory made & shaped grips?

Post 18 Aug 2018, 11:39 • #85 
Guide
gink and gas seems to like it

https://youtu.be/218jcM22LJk

Post 18 Aug 2018, 19:02 • #86 
Guide
The boutique builders aren’t selling through retail, so the price to the end user is lower for a boutique built rod. Scott and Winston have lower wholesale pricing than a rod you can get from a good boutique builder, but the retailer has to make a profit too, thus their rods are 600 to 800 bucks.

In other words, you are getting better quality work and components from a boutique builder, but are essentially paying a higher wholesale price than a mass produced rod if you could buy a Scott or Winston via wholesale pricing.

Post 26 Aug 2018, 17:17 • #87 
Inactive
I made a couple calls asking about F2s going on sale, sounds like if and when they do we're talking about $50 off. Bummer if true, would have picked up the 653 if it went even 40% off.

There's not enough talk about the F Series yet, but with the changes so far to it, and speeding up the G, I'm losing interest in Scott. As mentioned above, the boutique builders are a better value anyhow. My Kenney 4wt that I recently got just destroys everything I've used from a major brand.

Also, with respect to graphite, I don't think anyone can touch Thomas and Thomas right now. The Avantt is a serious big river rod when you need to get things done.

Post 28 Aug 2018, 17:24 • #88 
Master Guide
DavidFin wrote:
I made a couple calls asking about F2s going on sale, sounds like if and when they do we're talking about $50 off. Bummer if true, would have picked up the 653 if it went even 40% off.

Dang. That is pretty much what I have found too.
I was hoping to find a new F2 653 on steep discount.
I even scouted the Blue Dunn site.
But it looks like the F2 isn't a rod that'll be discounted on any type of closeout sales.
:(

I hope I am wrong though!

Post 28 Aug 2018, 20:16 • #89 
Glass Fanatic
I got 3 f2's 653 and I get to cast a lot of rods and nothing comes close on small streams but that is just my opinion very versatile rod.......aurelio

Post 29 Aug 2018, 06:50 • #90 
Glass Fanatic
That guy is hoping Jim gives him a free rod... :lol

Eatfood wrote:
gink and gas seems to like it

https://youtu.be/218jcM22LJk

Post 29 Aug 2018, 10:32 • #91 
Inactive
On clearance:

http://www.farmingtonriver.com/scott-f2 ... clearance/

Youre welcome

Post 29 Aug 2018, 10:37 • #92 
Inactive
Someone please buy this. I just ordered a bamboo rod that will be ready by March and cant do this to myself.

Post 29 Aug 2018, 10:45 • #93 
Glass Fanatic
Yep, saw one in a shop in Buffalo, Wyoming, for same price as I recall. Tempting.

Post 29 Aug 2018, 12:39 • #94 
Guide
[quote="ibookje"]That guy is hoping Jim gives him a free rod... :lol

I was wondering the same thing lol! I ordered a custom 5 piece f series like 6 weeks ago (got the slide ring handle instead of the half wells uplocking). I called them and they are telling me another 2 weeks :( , but if anyone else has received a new f series please post some pics/thoughts! I am having a hard time waiting for mine lol!

Last edited by Eatfood on 29 Aug 2018, 12:45, edited 1 time in total.

Post 29 Aug 2018, 12:43 • #95 
Master Guide
DavidFin wrote:

"Sorry but this item is currently unavailable."

I hope it was somebody from FFR that scored that awesome deal.

Last edited by Elwha on 29 Aug 2018, 13:31, edited 2 times in total.

Post 29 Aug 2018, 12:47 • #96 
Inactive
Me too! I stalk this page, I bet you it wasn't up for more than a few hours.

As far as current offerings, it's the best used page around.

Post 31 Aug 2018, 12:15 • #97 
Sport
I’ve had opportunity to cast all of the F2 rods. I don’t like them because they seem very limp and indecisive. I feel I don’t know where the fly will land. After seeing the video I understand the concept. A rod designed to cast 1m of line and a long leader. I do have a use for such a rod. I’ve discussed this series with fly shops and regional reps. They seemed not to have more understanding of it then I. I like the look, the guides, guide spacing, full flexing, cork, handle design, seat. I don’t like trying to make a 25’ cast with it. I will seek opportunities to try the new line. How can they make a series of rods like these and not include #1, 2#?

Post 01 Sep 2018, 01:43 • #98 
Sport
DavidFin wrote:

Some one beat me to the f2-653, but I picked up the f2-602 for the same price. Looking forward to giving it a go on our small creeks. Thanks for sharing.

Post 01 Sep 2018, 09:36 • #99 
Sport
phatagorva wrote:
I’ve had opportunity to cast all of the F2 rods...I will seek opportunities to try the new line. How can they make a series of rods like these and not include #1, 2#?

The F2 series included a 6’ #2 and the new F series includes a 6’2” #2. I’m not 100% on this, but I think the earlier Fibertouch series even included a #1.

Post 01 Sep 2018, 10:05 • #100 
Master Guide
Little kern golden wrote:
Again, with all the wonderful rods being produced by *********, Barclay, Kenney, Mountain Brook, James Green, McFarland and so on plus all the outstanding custom builders on this site why would one buy a Factory rod for $700.00?

I agree totally.
I’m a big Scott fan...owned a half dozen or so and still own two.
They lost me when they stop selling blanks to the public.

Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 12  Next New Topic Add Reply