It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 09:15

Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next New Topic Add Reply
Re: Scott F Series
Post 12 Jul 2018, 14:54 • #26 
Glass Fanatic
Just saw this on TFM. For a bit more inside info, it's worth a read!

https://thefiberglassmanifesto.blogspot ... m=facebook

Post 12 Jul 2018, 17:46 • #27 
Glass Fanatic
DavidFin wrote:
The rising costs of rods is a pain in the ass, but you gotta pay to play. I guess it all depends on what your expectations are. I fish once or twice a week, almost every week of the year. Have been for years. If I pay for a top end rod, fish it often, and keep it with its lifetime warranty the cost is relatively low over time. If I keep it for a few years, learn some things from it, sell it for 60% of the value and reinvest the difference into a new rod, that works too.

No doubt you have to pick your battles, though. Buying a $700 rod for me means eating a lot of tuna fish for dinner for a bit.

That's been my rod buying philosophy over the years and I have to say I've kept some very nice glas rods, I'm satisfied that I tried a good percentage of new glass rods from very knowledgeable builders and the pain of shelling out my hard earned dough has long past. And it's cheap compared to golf.

Scud, I ain't believing your "if I won the lottery" story

Post 12 Jul 2018, 19:38 • #28 
Glass Fanatic
horsehead wrote:
Just saw this on TFM. For a bit more inside info, it's worth a read!

https://thefiberglassmanifesto.blogspot ... m=facebook

Here's a Jim Bartschi quote from that TFM article:

"I've decided to look to the roots of glass and Scott's history. I think we've lost some of the attributes of glass by speeding the rods up too much (F2 may have led that change).

The black glass F rods just before the F2 series were way faster action than the F2's. So I don't know what in the world he's talking about.

Post 13 Jul 2018, 00:31 • #29 
Glass Fanatic
tiptop wrote:
The black glass F rods just before the F2 series were way faster action than the F2's. So I don't know what in the world he's talking about.

That's what I thought too! :)

Post 13 Jul 2018, 07:53 • #30 
Master Guide
I liked the original F rods and the F2's were definitely much slower to my hand. I acquired a 6'6" 6 piece Airrite Stream 2 weight last year, it loads at 0 feet and is really nice out to 35 feet, it is a near perfect little crick rod for me.
I am sure the new Scott rods are pretty slick but I will pass for now. I really love the new GS line of rods they put out last year and have 2 of them.

Post 13 Jul 2018, 11:12 • #31 
Glass Fanatic
Are they going to discontinue the F2's???.........aurelio

Post 13 Jul 2018, 11:33 • #32 
Inactive
Aurelio,

They are no longer listed on Scott's site. However, they don't appear to be discounted anywhere. I'm looking because of your infectious enthusiasm for the 663 F2.

Also been thinking about the color choice, the orange. This may be a paranoid thought but I'm wondering if they chose it to A) be noticeable on the stream (a la the marketing idea for the Orvis H3's white golf-like white label), and/or B) make the yellow F2 appear drab and outdated. It's a loud looking rod. Not sure how I feel about, need to see it in person. I also wish they didn't have any uplocking Western grips on any of them. The whole line is so small, what's the point?

Post 13 Jul 2018, 12:46 • #33 
Master Guide
Western Grip - two thumbs down
Color - could grow on me, and not much brighter than yellow
Length - wish they had an 8'
Price - gonna have to find a used one, in a few years. . .

Scott makes great rods, but I am always baffled by their responses to questions regarding their glass.

I own an early 90's brown F703/2 and I will go to my grave with that one.

Post 13 Jul 2018, 12:56 • #34 
Master Guide
My love affair with Scott glass stops at the black F754 and that will continue to be the case with this newest generation. I've inquired about getting a blank, because there's no way I'd pay that much for a rod with gobs of finish like that.

Post 13 Jul 2018, 15:25 • #35 
Glass Fanatic
tiptop wrote:
Little kern golden wrote:
Can’t imagine them being nicer than a Barclay, *********, McFarland or a James Green.

Not to mention Kabuto, Kenney, Epic, and Steffen.

And don't leave out CTS or the T&T Lotic which is $595 vs $700. Aurelio would have to say he's spastic with glee before I'd consider $700 for the new Scott. I read Cam's article and unless he OR someone here has FISHED one, ad copy means nothing. It's nothing more than a fart in a jar.
PS, you know me too well Frog.

Post 13 Jul 2018, 16:25 • #36 
Guide
I am pretty interested in the 5 piece for a pack rod....

Post 13 Jul 2018, 16:47 • #37 
Glass Fanatic
I called scott and the F2's will no longer be available after Augest 1st. But I have 2 extra in my gun safe and in 5 years I will sell them for a 1000.00 bucks.......aurelio

Post 13 Jul 2018, 17:16 • #38 
Glass Fanatic
Here's a blast from the past, eight years ago. I guess the new F rods are the ultimate, ultimate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4AXjIxP9w4w

Post 13 Jul 2018, 17:31 • #39 
Glass Fanatic
Eatfood wrote:
I am pretty interested in the 5 piece for a pack rod....

In the fly shop's reviews linked above (which I thought were very frank and useful for a shop that carries the product line), it seems that, except for the "specific purpose" of backpacking, he (and seemingly everyone else in the shop) really favors the F663-4 on the 3wts. For backpacking, I've always paid attention to section length, and the F723-5 should have a broken-down section length of about 17.5", and the F663-4 should be 19.5". Although the total rod length of 7'2" could certainly be useful over the 6'6", I noticed the description of the F724-4 was pretty complimentary, and it should be 21.5". On my packs, any tube less than 24" is stowable in a way that is really going to stay out of trailside trouble, the rods all seem viable for backpacking, and I'd want to give some time to all three before I chose the FF723-5, and then would really want to be convinced it was the best choice over the others. Especially reading between the lines in the review, if I wanted a new pack rod in the 7'2" length in Scott's glass line, I suspect I'd end up with the F724-4, although one caveat on that is that, although I have several nice 3 wts., I'm sliding towards 4 wts, even when planning on a day of small dries, as just the more versatile choice.

I do wish makers who market a rod for backpacking would provide the length of the tube in their specs; sometimes there's a little unnecessary space in the tube, and it seems like that is just an afterthought to them.

Post 13 Jul 2018, 17:57 • #40 
Glass Fanatic
If I needed a pack rod, it would depend on my destination. Many lakes would be best served with a 5 or 6 weight to get your fly out there and to deal with wind. If your goal is to small blue lines maybe a 3wt would be fine, provided the wind was low and the flies small. Short packed length is nice but IMO, a tube sticking up a few inches above the pack isn't a big deal and is secondary to intended use.,

Post 13 Jul 2018, 18:50 • #41 
Glass Fanatic
I love pack rods but I feel that maybe they went back to using one mandrel which would save them a lot of time and money.I tried to get a custom 653 F2 years ago in 4 PC. But they could not do it because they used a different mandrel for each section.......aurelio

Post 13 Jul 2018, 22:43 • #42 
Glass Fanatic
tiptop wrote:
If I needed a pack rod, it would depend on my destination. Many lakes would be best served with a 5 or 6 weight to get your fly out there and to deal with wind. If your goal is to small blue lines maybe a 3wt would be fine, provided the wind was low and the flies small. Short packed length is nice but IMO, a tube sticking up a few inches above the pack isn't a big deal and is secondary to intended use.,

That’s absolutely true, and if alpine lakes were it, I probably wouldn’t take any of the new Scott F rods. It’s got to work when you get there, and then you want something that - preferably - will behave on the way. I’ve made a 46” tube work in the GA mountains, but a trail with a dozen or two step overs, while at the same time crouching down under the growth gets you looking for more. If everything there was like a western meadow trail, 46” probably wouldn’t have me shopping.

Post 14 Jul 2018, 07:36 • #43 
Glass Fanatic
I lost a tube for my 7'6" 5pc. Steffen crouching under trees lucky for me I was carrying the rod in my hand and kept fishing.I would prefer to get my rod in my pack when in really low hanging stuff or brushy areas.......can't wait to here reviews on the 5 PC. 3 wt........aurelio

Post 15 Jul 2018, 10:13 • #44 
Glass Fanatic
I have always loved Scott rods and have had a lot of them over the years and it’s great to see them continuing to work with fiberglass but I have to say that the new rods just aren’t for me. I’m sure the tapers are wonderful but the cosmetics just don’t measure up considering they are $700 rods. I know these are commercial rods but why would you put those big uplocking seats on relatively short light-line rods? They all should be cap and ring with proportioned grips. Also, even though they say that they are using flor grade cork, it looks like they are still using those 1/4” rings and “whitewashing” the corks to hide the flaws. Big funky stripper and globs of epoxy - ugh. Of course it all comes from being spoiled by Kenney, McFarland, Barclay, Ijuin, Paddock, Leiderman etc.

Post 15 Jul 2018, 10:39 • #45 
Glass Fanatic
Duff, where's the up locking seats? They look identical to the original F except they're black instead of nickle silver.

Post 15 Jul 2018, 10:48 • #46 
Glass Fanatic
I'm disappointed by the looks too. The stripping guide looks horribly cheap. Don't like the up locking seat on such short rods. The epoxy work looks shabby.

Post 15 Jul 2018, 11:01 • #47 
Guide
I have always liked Scott rods in most of their trout tapers in both glass and graphite. I currently have the F2 723/4, but their finish work is not great. Gobs of epoxy and poorly wound wraps are common when looking at a rack of their rods at a fly shop. If I had to pay full price, I would not have bought the F2 I have with its poor finish work.

Speaking of prices of new rods today from almost every major manufacture, are they pricing themselves out of the market? You can get a handmade bamboo rod for what many of these mass produced rods are costing these days. Reminds me of what has happened to the compound bow market. https://www.fieldandstream.com/why-bow- ... -pro-shops

Post 15 Jul 2018, 12:06 • #48 
Glass Fanatic
Scud, only the 5’8” and 6’2” seats are cap and ring. The three slightly longer rods are up-lockers.

I know I’m just too picky in my old age and probably a fly rod snob. Still, I think most of us here on the FFR have come to expect a certain look for short, light-line fly rods. Scott does marketing and I’m guessing those up-lockers are what the general public probably expects on a $700 rod. To most folks a cap and band might seem like an economy move.

Post 15 Jul 2018, 14:39 • #49 
Glass Fanatic
jhuskey wrote:
As said previously, Scott knows what they are doing. I have a few, Heli-Ply, G and an S4. Almost sold the S4 a few years ago, but revisited it this Summer and have found a solid use for it. My list of future rods has a couple glass Scott rods on it.

It will dang not be one of the new Scott F Series though - disappointing. :(

Post 15 Jul 2018, 16:11 • #50 
Glass Fanatic
Duff I here you about quality but I have never had my reel come loose,what really bugs me when they grind the feet on the snakes they get them to hot so the black shows thru on some of the wraps small price to pay for one of the best small stream rods I ever had in my hands,the F2 653 will out perform some of my longer rods.........aurelio
Every time I have a clave I fall in love with one of the rods they bring and fish it then I get the little f2 out and remember what a really great rod it is.

Last edited by aurelio corso on 16 Jul 2018, 18:33, edited 1 time in total.

Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next New Topic Add Reply